Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
24,693 Posts
@Mimi, are you in Hong Kong? Were there really over one million protesters in the streets? :eek:
Yes. The organizers said 1 million but the police said just 240,000 :scratch: They are protesting against the government trying to enforce a law that leads to convicted criminals here (sentence over 7 years, still negotiating) could be transferred to China. Y know, every one is afraid of the legal system and prisons there :scared:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Yes. The organizers said 1 million but the police said just 240,000 :scratch: They are protesting against the government trying to enforce a law that leads to convicted criminals here (sentence over 7 years, still negotiating) could be transferred to China. Y know, every one is afraid of the legal system and prisons there :scared:
If things work as in my country, the true figure lies somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Why don't you declare independence though @Mimi? Are you afraid China will kill innocent people if they announce referendum? How is the strength of Hong Kongese army?

·
Registered
24,693 Posts
Why don't you declare independence though @Mimi? Are you afraid China will kill innocent people if they announce referendum? How is the strength of Hong Kongese army?
How to declare independence? Hk heavily relied on China i.e. even water & food supply. Ever since the return to China in 1997 and the more open to outside policy from China, HK is in downfall. It is no longer as prosperous as before as some other China cities are developing into much better economic-wise like Beijing/Shanghai. From my working experience with some Chinese firms, their IT is for sure not worst and might even better than us in some aspects.

Well, it is HK and 2019, China won't kill innocent people here like in Tiananmen Square 1989. Haha, HK only has around 30,000 police. Don't think there is any army except the ones sent by China (Liberation Army) and stationed here ;)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
China’s Global Leadership List

A vast majority of Americans have absolutely no clue how advanced China has become. Look at the social media comments, it’s clear that too many Americans — especially Trump supporters — are filled with misinformation and prejudice. “China is 100 years behind” … “All Chinese products are crap” … “China can’t innovate” … “It’s a communist, poor, polluted country” … and, of course, the most popular theme is “China’s economy is about to collapse.” It’s hard to change these opinions, since these people reinforce their biases by gleefully consuming and sharing only anti-China articles. Anything remotely positive about China is attacked as “Chinese propaganda.”

This potent mix of ignorance and hubris is also precisely why western corporations gladly and voluntarily shared their technology with their Chinese joint-venture partners. The term “forced technology transfer” was invented retroactively only after Chinese corporations started threatening western profits — Huawei has overtaken Apple, Nokia and Ericsson in smartphones, 5G and telecom infrastructure; BYD manufactures more electric vehicles than Tesla; Alibaba and Tencent process 50x more mobile payments than the US; and the most valuable startup — ByteDance — and the most innovative startup — Meituan — in the world are Chinese.

While it’s true that China as whole has a long way to go to in terms of GDP-per-capita, many big cities in China are essentially “developed economies.” Plus, China has surpassed the US in many areas and is closing in rapidly in others.

If you don’t know your competitor, you’re certain to lose the game. So here are some quick statistics on China’s global leadership:

· #1 in exports (been so since 2009 when it overtook Germany)

· #1 in manufacturing value added (been so since 2010 when China took the crown from the US, which had been #1 for the previous 110 years)

· #1 in foreign exchange reserves (>$3 trillion)

· #1 holder of US debt (>$1 trillion)

· #1 trade partner for 130 countries.

· #1 in PPP GDP (been so since 2014 when it surpassed the US)

· #1 in contribution to global GDP growth for the past decade (25–35%, which is twice that of the US). That is, if the world GDP grows by $100, then $25-$35 comes from China.

· #1 in Middle Class population (350 million in 2018; and it overtook the US in 2015)

· #1 in poverty elimination (800 million lifted out of extreme poverty)

· #1 in production of rice, wheat, potato, beer(!), tea, apple, strawberry, grapes and numerous other grains, vegetables and fruits.

· #1 retail market in the world by 2019 ($5.6 trillion)

· #1 in e-commerce (42% of world market)

· #1 in personal luxury goods sales (35% of global market)

· #1 luxury car market (Example: 400,000 BMWs manufactured and sold in China in 2017)

· #1 in international tourism spending (In 2010, Chinese tourists spent half as much as Americans; and by 2017, China was spending twice as much as the US

And it continues …

· #1 in smartphones (Chinese brands have 40% of the global market)

· #1 in 4G mobile network (1.2 billion users)

· #1 in Internet users (830 million people), fiber-optic broadband users (320 million)

· #1 in solar, wind and hydroelectric power

· #1 in electric cars — manufacturing and sales

· #1 in steel, cement, aluminum production . In three years (2012–2015), China used more cement than the US did in the entire 20th century.

· #1 in manufacturing of conventional cars (>26 million per year)

· #1 in consumer drones (70% of global market)

· #1 in skyscrapers

· #1 in high-speed railways or bullet trains (30,000 Km or 18,000 miles)

· #1 in global infrastructure projects. China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) involves 152 countries and international organizations.

· #1 in supercomputers (227 out of the 500 supercomputers are Chinese)

· #1 in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) college graduates (4x as many as the US)

· #1 in scientific publications

· #1 in mobile payments (50x larger than the US)

· #1 in 5G (China owns about 40% of 5G patents, and the world’s leading 5G vendor and patent holder is none other than Huawei)

· #1 in Artificial Intelligence (AI) funding, startups and publications (link, link)

And China is right behind the US in many areas:

· #2 in nominal GDP ($13.5 trillion in 2018)

#2 in hi-tech manufacturing (China isn’t just about t-shirts & toys anymore)

· #2 in billionaires (about 400 billionaires)

· #2 in millionaires (3.5 million millionaires)

· #2 stock market, by market cap (overtook Japan in 2014, became #3 in 2018 and became #2 again in 2019)

· #2 importer ($2.1 trillion)

· #2 in international patents — according to WIPO (#1 if patents filed in China are included)

· #2 in R&D spending — according to US National Science Board (#1 if measured by purchasing power)

· #2 in Unicorns (startup companies worth more than $1 billion. 142 in China versus 175 in US as of 2018)

· #2 in venture capital Funding ($100 billion of new venture capital funding for about 2,900 startups last year)

· #2 in number of satellites in orbit/space (280 satellites as of 2018). And China is the first country to reach the “dark side” of the moon.

What should the US do? Try to “contain” China? Start World War III to maintain our global hegemony? Become depressed and paranoid? Thankfully, the answer to all those questions is “NO.” There are constructive things that America can and should do to prepare for the future. I will discuss those in my next article.

https://medium.com/@gmochannel/chinas-global-leadership-list-21b0f60b2f05

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Once again. There is just one thing that China perfected to the level of excellence.
Stealing or taking other's ideas/designs and perfecting the cheap mass-production of it.
That's it. There is absolutely nothing else.
All imports, exports, skyscrapers, infrastructure, transportation, cellphones , etc is about taking designs, ideas from someone else and mass-producing it in China cheaply. You won't name a single original Chinese design of influential level. Since paper and gunpowder probably, that is.

Space? Landing on a moon? Russia and US did it in 60s, and in 70s stopped doing that, because that was no longer neither challenge nor science. Congratulations. You finally caught up with USSR moon space program of half century ago. I've heard that you are striving to go even further, and designing a space station of technological complexity in between of Salyut-7 ( end of 70s design ) and Mir ( mid80s design ). Good luck. And that you still use that RD(150?) engine design that you stole from Russians in those wonderful Yeltsin's times, when all Ruusian state secrets were open book. And not much progress since then.
Nuclear plants. You sell a lot. But for internal use? You buy Russian ones ftom Rosatom.
Or weapons. I read how Chinese critisize Russian planes or air-defense. But their own air defense is old good reverse engineered version of S300,working worse than original, btw. So you bought S400 and now arr busy reverse engineering those. Good luck. By the time you are done in 5 years, Russian S500 will be on the market, and , I am sure, China will buy those too, and spend another 5 years reverse engineering those. As that's the only technological cycle you guys know, get/steal-copy-massproduce and repeat.
Or jets. J20, "5th" generation. Look up the first Russian 5th generstion MiG1.44 project design, 30 years old. A sibling, huh? Probably the first blueprint you guys managed to get your hands on. Or J31 and F35? Another siblings. And, suddenly, you buy Rusdian SU-35. 4th generation. They say, because Chinese 5th generation engines are so shit comparing to Russian 4th generation ( leave alone American 5th ), so, again reverse engineering to the rescue.

I can tell you this. If China doesn't concede and accept what it's asked to accept, if this gets serious and China is cut off from current river-like feed of Western technologies, you'll be back in the land of third rate technological countries, like USSR was, in no time. With correction that USSR did have a scientific and engineering potential that China can only dream of.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Once again. There is just one thing that China perfected to the level of excellence.
Stealing or taking other's ideas/designs and perfecting the cheap mass-production of it.
If that's the case, how come Huawei's 5G technology is so much more advanced than anything the US has to offer? Americans are unable to compete with them so resorted to blacklisting them instead. How fair.

Didn't bother to read the rest of your charade.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
If that's the case, how come Huawei's 5G technology is so much more advanced than anything the US has to offer? Americans are unable to compete with them so resorted to blacklisting them instead. How fair.

Didn't bother to read the rest of your charade.
Just so we are clear. 5G is called "technology" for public. In reality it's not called "technology". It's called "specification" or "standard". Implementation of which ( given the available component base - which is - of course - pretty much entirely western in Huawei hardware in every performance critical node ) is just a matter of amount of pretty casual level of engineering labor. And of course, where it comes to applying a sheer amount of cheaper labor, Chinese borg collective is ahead of everyone else. But take out that component base - which is going to happen - and this whole construct suddenly becomes a house of cards.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Unlike Amercian government, the Chinese government does not regard themselves as "international police", being liberal, peace lovers.........:bs: so the former is more hypocritical. Y know, Snowdan has something to say about the American govt spying on their own citizens:grin2:. Also, at the Obama time, how they spied on Angela's mobile phone....... And they dare to talk about privacy and spying??? :cuckoo:

I never approve the way the Chi govt suppressed the freedom of speech but one thing for one thing, a whole govt suppressing an overseas industry just because they are threatening their own industry is just small-minded and simply bullying.
You mean like China supressing Google and Facebook? Chinese commies need taking some of their own medicine.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
So the president of the United States is moving towards banning the use of a foreign brand because "it threatens national security". However, at no point they have offered proof to sustain that claim.

This isn't only a move against China, it's also a move against competition and freedom, principles the US is supposed to be based on both culturally and economically.
Commies have a long tradition of using the liberties of democracy and capitalism in order to undermine and ultimately destroy them. China in fact is doing that since long ago, it should be stopped.

Funny thing is that I actually own a Huawei phone. I wonder if some TSA jerk (and most of them are in fact jerks) will confiscate it at the airport if when I get to go to the land of the free.
Why would you want to go to such an evil place? Are you perhaps seeking to undermine America from within commie style?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
As a person from the middle east, the USA is one of our main enemies. While China exports toys and stuff we can actually use in our daily peaceful lives, the USA exports wars, occupations, and dictatorships!
The USA is not against China because they do not have political freedom (The USA supports most dictatorships in the middle east). The USA is against China because Chinese know how to sell their goods to the whole world. If Huawei "spies" on people and the USA has a real proof, the USA should go to the UN and introduce Laws against using advanced technologies in "spying" on innocent people! Wikileaks and Snowden-leaks revealed the USA is a country that wants to spy on others but at the same time accuse others of spying without a proof!

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
As a person from the middle east, the USA is one of our main enemies. While China exports toys and stuff we can actually use in our daily peaceful lives, the USA exports wars, occupations, and dictatorships!
The USA is not against China because they do not have political freedom (The USA supports most dictatorships in the middle east). The USA is against China because Chinese know how to sell their goods to the whole world. If Huawei "spies" on people and the USA has a real proof, the USA should go to the UN and introduce Laws against using advanced technologies in "spying" on innocent people! Wikileaks and Snowden-leaks revealed the USA is a country that wants to spy on others but at the same time accuse others of spying without a proof!
The funny thing is when you see US representatives trying to convince Angela Merkel that Huawei poses a security risk to Germany just after it was discovered that her very phone had been tapped by the US.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Thank you for your valuable opinion, though if you'd bother to read the thread, you'd see that what you wrote is mostly orthogonal to what is being discussed in here.
And for a person from Middle East, you'd probably better get yourself better prepared to the inevitable end of carbohydrates era, probably like 10 years away, so getting some new skills as opposite to relying on China producing everything - would be valuable. Or recovering some old skills ( like herding camels 🙂 ). But your region's simple way of life - sell oil, use that money to buy everything from China - is about to end soon. So, get ready.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thank you for your valuable opinion, though if you'd bother to read the thread, you'd see that what you wrote is mostly orthogonal to what is being discussed in here.
And for a person from Middle East, you'd probably better get yourself better prepared to the inevitable end of carbohydrates era, probably like 10 years away, so getting some new skills as opposite to relying on China producing everything - would be valuable. Or recovering some old skills ( like herding camels 🙂 ). But your region's simple way of life - sell oil, use that money to buy everything from China - is about to end soon. So, get ready.
Thank you for caring about my future. This is why I haven't not posted in the forum for years. I was busy studying. I cannot use tha old account anymore because obviously the system of passwords and accounts has changed. I remember you, you are an American right-wing who immigrated to the USA long time ago and defends the wars of the USA non-stop!

Any way, I do not live in one of the rich middle-east countries. Wish it was true. :haha:

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I remember you, you are an American right-wing who immigrated to the USA long time ago and defends the wars of the USA non-stop!
You are confusing me with someone else.
I am not right, independent, centrist.
Wars?
Supported some. Rarely.
Categorically against US wars in Yugoslavia, Iraq, interference in Syria or Libya.
Afghanistan, I don't really think we had a choice.
Iran? Only if they attack first. Sanctions are strangling this crazy regime just fine.
It needs to be made unable to interfere in Syria, Yemen, finance ***** armies like Hezbollah, threaten Israel. I think sanctions will do that just fine. Iranians know that too. Expecting them to keep provoking Americans.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You are confusing me with someone else.
I am not right, independent, centrist.
Wars?
Supported some. Rarely.
Categorically against US wars in Yugoslavia, Iraq, interference in Syria or Libya.
Afghanistan, I don't really think we had a choice.
Iran? Only if they attack first. Sanctions are strangling this crazy regime just fine.
It needs to be made unable to interfere in Syria, Yemen, finance ***** armies like Hezbollah, threaten Israel. I think sanctions will do that just fine. Iranians know that too. Expecting them to keep provoking Americans.

"You didn't have a choice arming Bin-Laden in Afghanistan" This is the definition of a "crazy regime"!
It was the Zionist occupation who occupied Lebanon, Hezbollah was fighting an illegal occupation. Iran is not occupying any country, the Zionist occupation is! Iran is not strangelled by sanctions and never will!

By the way, just a few minutes ago, it was revealed that the USA and Isreal made another failed coup-attempt that aimed to murder the President of Venezuela! This clearly shows who is the real threat in our world! Not Iran and Not Venezuela.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts