Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on earth is Jordan Thompson the world number 45?

Please leave the rankings which surprise/baffle you below.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How is Nishikori a stable top 10 player (I realise he just grinds out GS quarter finals, but he does nothing at masters and wins few tournaments)
Also how is Simon now solid top 40 after a horrendous couple of years

·
Administrator
10,763 Posts
Basilashvili's ranking at 16 is extremely higher than what his recent results would suggest. He won Hamburg, made USO QF, and won Beijing in 2018. So it's reasonable to expect that he'd fall far out of the top 50 by November.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
basilashvili's ranking at 16 is extremely higher than what his recent results would suggest. He won hamburg, made uso qf, and won beijing in 2018. So it's reasonable to expect that he'd fall far out of the top 50 by november.
uso r16

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Blaz Rola #163

should be a regular Top100, he's better than Fabbiano, Klahn, Carballes or Gunneswaran....Should be floating between 50 and 100 all the time.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Albot
Kukushkin
Norrie
Humbert

Should all be at least 30 lower each

·
52,613 Posts
How is Nishikori a stable top 10 player (I realise he just grinds out GS quarter finals, but he does nothing at masters and wins few tournaments)
Also how is Simon now solid top 40 after a horrendous couple of years
In 2018 had a very good end season:

USO SF = 720 pts
Metz SF
Tokyo F, Vienna F = 600 pts
Shanghai QF, Paris QF = 360 pts
WTF RR 1 win = 200 pts

That's nearly 2000 pts worth.

See where is now, at least 1000 pts clear of Khachanov and Fognini, both who won Masters 1000 titles. This goes to show Kei has a relatively stable level. However his first half season has been mediocre a 250 win and AO QF aside. He will have quite a bit to defend coming up but if he maintains a decent level he should comfortably remain top 10. Remember it's an aggregate 52 week ranking, which shows he is performing better in the last 52 weeks than the others below him. He can only drop if his performance goes down while the others don't improve significantly over him.

·
52,613 Posts
Could've also gone with Raonic (aka GOATnic) at #17. I honestly can't take him seriously anymore since the start of 2017.
His levels are so wild. Has that nice AO run for four rounds. Then craptastic level elsewhere, injury, what have you.

Be nice....
Just saying, he must have the most first and second round losses of the top players this season:

Struff at IW R32, Ferrer at Miami (retired player), Munar R16 Casablanca, Fognini MC R2 (though Fognini would win it), Jarry at Barca R32, Garin at R16 in Munich, Berrettini in Rome R32, Brown Stuttgart R16. That's 8 first or second round defeats in half a season. Lucky to escape another one at RG playing Millman.

Nishikori hasn't been great, has had 5 early 1st/2nd round losses but one would expect more from Zverev at this stage. Plus the DF count from Zverev for 1.98m tall player is pretty miserable...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think a lot of people are under the impression that to be ranked 'X', you need 'Z' type of results, where 'Z' would actually turn out to be "lesser" results than expected. It happens to me too at times when I forget this truth for a moment. Seriously, how did Auger-Aliassime ended up almost in the top 20 in just a little over four months of consistent ATP participation, not having even taken part in a GS for 9 months? There were 5 Masters in that time span and he only had a really exceptional result in one of them.

Because each new round features only half the players of the previous round, and since a lot of the same people are in the finals/semifinals of the biggest tournaments, for players ranked 20+, it takes mostly consistently "play your ranking" results, the sort no one really talks about, plus a few peaks here and there throughout the year.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts