Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
53,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you star for the idea.

I've seen in many threads where people ask for tips for attending tourneys. I'm just putting them all together in a single all-purpose thread for all events :D

So yeah, for TMS Miami, be sure to be prepared to walk alot and know some Spanish :)

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
Sunscreen - hat - sunglasses
Water
Umbrella. If you, like me, dislike sunscreen ickyness and prefer to do as the older Asian community does [a smart move] and go for complete protection from the sun!
Notice how these all have to do with the sun? I've had bad experiences. My bag usually contains these things, and camera/s, face washer, maybe a flag for a country not your own. Disguise things in your neatly folded jacket/hoodie, such as your oversized camera, food, beverages etc. Peta likes to put her attachments inside socks. Noone wants to go near a sock when they are inspecting bags.

Dress for comfort, wear sensible footwear. Tennis is not the sport where you can dress to impress after many hours in the sun, with sunscreen or sunburn, and sweat pouring off you. The half naked tennis players suit this look, gawking fans screaming 'Marry me!' do not.

My best hint would probably be to attend qualifying. You can get to know some of the up and coming players, and you have a better chance at catching some bigger names on the practice courts. If photos or autographs are your thing, your chances are good. Plus, the qualifying players really seem to appreciate it.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
For autographs seekers (if you are that type)

Buy sharpies BEFORE you go to the tournament and always have more than one (because some player will take it and give it back to the wrong person). You might want to have a silver or gold one just in case you come up with something dark to have signed.

If you don't know who a player is, just be very polite and say 'excuse me, can you tell me your name please?' when he tells you, say thank you and then ask for the autograph. Players don't expect everyone to recognize them, but they appreciate it when you ask nicely who they are. I've had enough players roll their eyes at me over the head of some rude tennis fan and comment afterward to know this is true.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Nice thread, it's a great idea.

I totally agree with Kristen. It's just not worth the sunburn. This is especially relevant to Australia, but it's better to boil and wear a long sleeved top or something like that, rather than put up with the sunburn later. I generally like to bring a towel I can wrap my hands up in so they don't get burned. And always wear closed shoes, you never know when you'll have to sit in the front row with a metal barrier reflecting the sunlight onto your foot. My feet turned purple after one day at the Aus Open.

Concerning player opportunites, NEVER ask for an autograph from a player you've spent the whole match cheering against, unless you're in a massive arena. If you're on a small court, the players know who's cheering for them and against them. It's just rude to want something from them once you've been cheering for their opponent. But don't be afraid to have a chat with the players, most are very enjoyable to talk to. And if you don't know who a player is, I'd advise against asking someone else in the crowd who they are, there are too many idiots around. If you don't know who they are, theres no point asking for an autograph or anything like that. Always use manners when asking for an autograph, and say thankyou before you walk off (the players will usually give you a cute little smile or tell you 'thats ok').

Getting dressed up in your country's colours really helps out too. Some of the players will look to you for support if none of their coaches are around. And it also encourages other benefits as well. But eg, dressing up in the green and gold in Australia is a waste of time.

And concerning the pens, bring heaps! I had 2 stolen in one day last year.

I'll probably think of more later

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
LOL to all the Aussies talking about sunburn! As a Brit I would say - NEVER forget your umbrella, because even if it looks sunny here in the morning it will probably rain by mid-afternoon. Take one of those small, fold-up ones, and also a kagoule, or some other lightweight, easily folded jacket for when it rains.

Also - take something warm - even places like Monte Carlo get mighty chilly when the sun goes down, so a warm fleece jacket is always useful. - very useful to sit on during the day as well :)

Comfortable shoes are definately a must, and my own personal tip is don't bring with you anymore than necessary, because you'll only have to end up carrying it around all day, and a bag which is slightly heavy first thing in the morning, will feel impossible to carry by evening. It will also hold up the entry queues because of all the security searches, and there is very little more irritating than sitting next to someone with a huge, heavy bag taking up too much room under the seat, or being hit in the face by some idiot carrying a heavy rucksak through the narrow aisles in Wimbledon or Roland Garros :rolleyes:

Finally - like Kristen - go to qualifying. Cheaper to get in, less crowded, more room to take good photos, and more opportunity to get autographs or chat to players if that is what you want :)

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
I ALWAYS have sunblocker AND rain cape aka umbrella in my bag, as the weather conditions can change during a day. (At the tournament I didn't have the sunblocker, I had a terrible suburn afterwards for over a week.)

Wear "onion look" (T-shirt under a long sleeve shirt), then you can change your look/clothing according to the temperatures.

Those are my little tips.

·
Registered
26,748 Posts
At some tournaments (well, they have not done it in a long time but you never know), they take bottle caps so take one or two more just in case. Also don't bring soda cans, they open them when they check your bag.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Bring a camera with an extra strong flash. The opportunity for the perfect photo comes along so rarely that it would be foolish to ruin it with shoddy equipment. Choose the best moment as well. A player lining up a smash after a long rally on a very important point makes a great photograph in my experience.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bring a camera with an extra strong flash. The opportunity for the perfect photo comes along so rarely that it would be foolish to ruin it with shoddy equipment. Choose the best moment as well. A player lining up a smash after a long rally on a very important point makes a great photograph in my experience.

And what good does the flash do you - except from annyoing the hell out of the players? There is a reason why umpires ask NOT to use flash photography... :rolleyes:
Buy a good camera (esp. with a good, light-sensitive lense) and know how to use it, i.e. turn the automatic off! Then a flash isn't necessary (a tripod or monopod at some indoor events is a good investment, though).

·
Registered
756 Posts
all of the above plus

extra film , memory cards & batteries for cameras...just in case ;)

I always bring some Advil...in case i get hit with a ball ;) or get a headache from the cheering fans...;)

comfy shoes....soooo important . Your feet take a beating at tournaments. If you want to look cute, you are going to pay for it with blisters.:devil:

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
Finally - like Kristen - go to qualifying. Cheaper to get in, less crowded, more room to take good photos, and more opportunity to get autographs or chat to players if that is what you want :)
1st round matches too :yeah:
Depends from a tournament, but I've seen tournaments where there is very little crowd all the way to thursday.
From QF on you have slim chance, just too much people, crowd, journalists,etc. :crazy: Unless you are very stuborn :)

·
Registered
97,305 Posts
If you fail anyway to meet your favourite player and talk to him around the court, go to the most fashionable disco of the city at night.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
...and I guarantee you will find people like Safin, Moya, Lopez there :devil: :rolls:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
For Nottingham:

Piriteze - combination of freshly cut grass and the "green" nature of the city can make hayfever sufferers (such as myself) feel rather rough.

Baseball bat - a lot of chavs around. :armed:

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
How about advice for the USO? I'm planning on going next year for the Labor Day weekend. Also, what about DC in Winston-Salem? This is some really great advice you guys. Thanks!! :)

·
Gugaholic
84,778 Posts
Umbrella is a good idea if you don't like sunscreen but if you are out most of the day, the sunlight reflected up from the ground is enough to do damage if you only have umbrella.

Also make sure the sunscreen has both UVA and UVB protection. If you are a sweaty person, buy sunscreen that's waterproof.

Comfy shoes are a must. Runners/walkers/sneakers are much preferrable especially if you need to climb up and down the bleacheres

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Ladies, that short skirt looks lovely standing up, but depending on where and how you sit, everyone can see right up it. I was at IW one year when this happened to someone in the stands to my right and an entire row of males was having a field day. If you are going to be at a park for 6 to 8 hours, dress appropriately. (That's basically what it is in a way, a day at the park).

Lee is right, the sun reflecting from the ground, the courts, the bleachers must also be considered, so sunscreen is imperative. Put it on BEFORE you get dressed so that it sinks in to your skin and forms a barrier before you go out in the sun. Reapply it in the shade. Ignore the front of the label (especially in the US), turn the bottle over and look at the active ingredients for titanium dioxide or zinc oxide or avobenzone (parsol). Those are the UVA and UVB blocking ingredients and the most effective sunscreens. Use it on overcast days as well, you can actually burn more in those conditions.

If you are going to an indoor tournament, be ready for any temperature. Sometimes those arenas are hot and stuffy, sometimes they are cold and drafty. You won't know until you get there.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
How about advice for the USO? I'm planning on going next year for the Labor Day weekend. Also, what about DC in Winston-Salem? This is some really great advice you guys. Thanks!! :)
There was a US open Fan Guide in TENNIS mag. It was the issue right before the US open.. Sorry i dont know which one it was but its worth a look if u have usually buy the magazine!

A TIP FOR ALL TOURNAMENTS-Well i tred this in Madrid only, im sure you can get awa with this anywhere, not GS's i bet.

If you want to sit in the vip secton, after a match, move infront to take autogrphs. They always let people in to get autographs. Now after that, STAY THERE!!! They won tell u anthing unless some VIP atends a match:rolleyes: I did this with a few girls until the quarters, then we got kindly kicked out :eek:

And a tip for watching practise. Just check the pracise schedule and get there early. Even with the big names, it wont be that crowded at first so you be crammed at the back.
And they DO NOT sign before practise!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ladies, that short skirt looks lovely standing up, but depending on where and how you sit, everyone can see right up it. I was at IW one year when this happened to someone in the stands to my right and an entire row of males was having a field day. If you are going to be at a park for 6 to 8 hours, dress appropriately. (That's basically what it is in a way, a day at the park).

Lee is right, the sun reflecting from the ground, the courts, the bleachers must also be considered, so sunscreen is imperative. Put it on BEFORE you get dressed so that it sinks in to your skin and forms a barrier before you go out in the sun. Reapply it in the shade. Ignore the front of the label (especially in the US), turn the bottle over and look at the active ingredients for titanium dioxide or zinc oxide or avobenzone (parsol). Those are the UVA and UVB blocking ingredients and the most effective sunscreens. Use it on overcast days as well, you can actually burn more in those conditions.

If you are going to an indoor tournament, be ready for any temperature. Sometimes those arenas are hot and stuffy, sometimes they are cold and drafty. You won't know until you get there.

Madrid arena is hot hot hot so wear mahy layers. You can be fine with a tank top.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts