Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 26 years of The Hague Open, there will be no new edition of the ATP Challenger Tournament in 2019 at the legendary Metsbaan in Scheveningen.

We have decided not to organize the event in 2019. Recent changes from the ATP (in terms of prize money, larger draws and more extensive hospitality) in combination with reduced financial support from a number of partners, will not allow this year to meet the ambition of the management and the quality level expected from The Hague Open.

Thanks to the Municipality of The Hague and countless sponsors, all visitors, all volunteers, ball children and all other partners, a unique event has been set up and the intention is to be able to offer the required quality again in 2020 and to return stronger in the middle of The Hague's summer.
https://nl-nl.facebook.com/TheHagueOpen/photos/a.175971339123760/2069759986411543/

Very surprising, always has been a solid tournament with good draws. Last couple of editions were won by Goffin, Haase, Basilashvili and Garcia-Lopez. Sign of more struggles to come for other Challengers?

Seems far from a guarantee they will return next year, even though they say that's their intention.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Tennis is in a crisis situation because all the money is so concentrated at the top, making it a rich person's sport. This dissuades people from getting into the sport in the first place. The next generation of players don't seem that promising, and Challenger tournaments being cancelled doesn't bode well for those at the bottom.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Even tho there are some challenger tournaments that get good attendance, you gotta wonder how the rest are able to cope with the prize money and other expenses they have to cover. Let's take a recent one for example - the Bangkok Open. The main court is basically a regular outdoors court with a few plastic chairs on the side. I actually like to watch challengers cause you get to see some of the players of tomorrow + I'm kind of tired of watching the same ol' big names all the time. But I really don't see how this particular tournament, for example, could be at least even, let alone make profit. I'm guessing they got some big sponsors or maybe the country/municipality itself is helping, but I wouldn't be surprised if other challengers do what Hague did.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Recent changes from the ATP (in terms of prize money, larger draws and more extensive hospitality)
If that would be only true... pathetic excuse from the ATP...

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
I'm very sad the tournament won't be taking place, but would like to know more about the reason why. The "recent changes from the ATP (in terms of prize money, larger draws and more extensive hospitality)" is not telling me enough, and might not be entirely accurate.

Take the prize money. Last year, Scheveningen's financial commitment was 64K (in euros). This week there's a Challenger in Drummondville that's only 54K (in USD). So I don't believe the ATP forced Scheveningen to have a bigger financial commitment than last year. Perhaps they didn't manage to balance their budget to get the 64K though. The tournament hasn't had a big corporate sponsor for a few years now.

The larger draw is a fact. But the grounds are large enough to host the additional eight matches that are played in the new format (48-player draw instead of 32). If they'd need an additional match court, they would have to sacrifice a practice court, but that would still leave three practice courts. And surely arrangements with other tournaments in the Hague could be made, if need be.

I am not sure what "more extensive hospitality" means, but Scheveningen has pretty decent facilities as it is. Definitely better than some other Challengers I have been to. If hospitality is the reason, then we can be sure that Alphen won't be returning to the calendar this season.

In short, I really think they just failed to gather enough funds and are shifting some of the blame (unreasonably) on to the ATP.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sad news, "we" already lost the challenger in Alphen last year.. Liked to visit both tournaments, now we don't have a challenger left in the Netherlands.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Read that Amersfoort will take over the license of The Hague, at least some good news.
Wow :eek: Didn't see that coming at all. Apparently the license is for the next five years. It'd be a shame if the event replaced Scheveningen in the years to come as well though; the two tournaments could work well together.

Apparently the organizers want to hold a small WTA event there from next year on as well.

https://destadamersfoort.nl/sport/dutch-open-terug-amersfoort-563495

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More news here: https://www.ad.nl/regiosport-den-haag/geen-the-hague-open-2019-toernooi-krijgt-begroting-niet-rond-en-verdwijnt-van-tenniskalender~a4644b11/

Seems like Amersfoort will in fact replace Scheveningen for the years to come.

Scheveningen is only half an hour from my home :mad: And it's a tournament with a long tradition, which I have been going to since I was in my early teens. :sad: Amersfoort had an ATP event in the past, which didn't have the same character as Scheveningen.
Amersfoort felt dead and fabricated as an ATP tournament already, as a Challenger it's going to be a ghost town. You can't replace that Scheveningen center court. Although I'm glad to hear we won't lose another Challenger after Alphen. For the players it doesn't matter, I doubt they care where in The Netherlands they have to play.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I'm very sad the tournament won't be taking place, but would like to know more about the reason why. The "recent changes from the ATP (in terms of prize money, larger draws and more extensive hospitality)" is not telling me enough, and might not be entirely accurate.

Take the prize money. Last year, Scheveningen's financial commitment was 64K (in euros). This week there's a Challenger in Drummondville that's only 54K (in USD). So I don't believe the ATP forced Scheveningen to have a bigger financial commitment than last year. Perhaps they didn't manage to balance their budget to get the 64K though. The tournament hasn't had a big corporate sponsor for a few years now.

The larger draw is a fact. But the grounds are large enough to host the additional eight matches that are played in the new format (48-player draw instead of 32). If they'd need an additional match court, they would have to sacrifice a practice court, but that would still leave three practice courts. And surely arrangements with other tournaments in the Hague could be made, if need be.

I am not sure what "more extensive hospitality" means, but Scheveningen has pretty decent facilities as it is. Definitely better than some other Challengers I have been to. If hospitality is the reason, then we can be sure that Alphen won't be returning to the calendar this season.

In short, I really think they just failed to gather enough funds and are shifting some of the blame (unreasonably) on to the ATP.
As of 2019 part of the ITF reforms ALL challengers must provide hospitality to all MD players so basically saying if you are in the MD of a challenger your accommodation is always paid for, prior to this those events which had a +H at the end of it only offered complete hospitality for players.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
As of 2019 part of the ITF reforms ALL challengers must provide hospitality to all MD players so basically saying if you are in the MD of a challenger your accommodation is always paid for, prior to this those events which had a +H at the end of it only offered complete hospitality for players.
I guess that's where the tournament failed. It used to offer accommodation (in a famous hotel on the coast), but not anymore. This must be the main reason they couldn't finalize their budget.

Note that the new tournament director took office in 2017. In a year, she managed to kill the event.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-lomakina-3696421/?originalSubdomain=nl

·
28,458 Posts
I guess that's where the tournament failed. It used to offer accommodation (in a famous hotel on the coast), but not anymore. This must be the main reason they couldn't finalize their budget.

Note that the new tournament director took office in 2017. In a year, she managed to kill the event.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-lomakina-3696421/?originalSubdomain=nl
Maybe it was already dying. Why did the previous owner sell?

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Maybe it was already dying. Why did the previous owner sell?
I might be wrong, but I've never thought of the tournament director as the "owner" of the tournament. There was no "selling" of the tournament.

The previous director, Ivo Pols, retired. Pols was someone with a lot of connections in the tennis world and in the Netherlands. He successfully ran this event for 25 years. Lomakina is a relatively unknown figure from Russia. She sounds to me like a very, very poor fit for this position.

When she took office, her one big plan was this: "“Because of my international background I am looking to welcome more international visitors. Our new website and social media will be in English" Right. That sounds like a great vision. As if people are going to flock to Scheveningen from abroad to attend this Challenger. :cuckoo:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Amersfoort felt dead and fabricated as an ATP tournament already, as a Challenger it's going to be a ghost town. You can't replace that Scheveningen center court. Although I'm glad to hear we won't lose another Challenger after Alphen. For the players it doesn't matter, I doubt they care where in The Netherlands they have to play.
Well 2 years ago (2017) Tsitsipas played in Scheveningen and the ATP made an interview with him, and he told a lot of good things about this challenger and its tradition, that's why he came to play it So I think that players talk together and sometimes suggest to play here and there because of some aspects. Scheveningen challenger was played in a beautiful club, the setting was just perfect and so I don't think that players (at least a part of them) do not care where to play in the Netherlands or another country. Well, good news if something happens in Amersfoort, but it has not the charm of Scheveningen

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The new tournament will be held a week after Wimbledon and there is 3 ATPs that week, probably not a lot of good players will play here :/

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
The number of Futures events in the Netherlands has also gone down dramatically. So far, I only see Alkmaar and The Hague on the calendar for this summer.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well 2 years ago (2017) Tsitsipas played in Scheveningen and the ATP made an interview with him, and he told a lot of good things about this challenger and its tradition, that's why he came to play it So I think that players talk together and sometimes suggest to play here and there because of some aspects. Scheveningen challenger was played in a beautiful club, the setting was just perfect and so I don't think that players (at least a part of them) do not care where to play in the Netherlands or another country. Well, good news if something happens in Amersfoort, but it has not the charm of Scheveningen
Oh definitely, if you ask the players they would all pick Scheveningen. But in the end it's not important enough for them to shed tears over it, it's just one of the many Challengers they will play this year. The exception being Haase, whose home club is Scheveningen :eek:
The new tournament will be held a week after Wimbledon and there is 3 ATPs that week, probably not a lot of good players will play here :/
The number of Futures events in the Netherlands has also gone down dramatically. So far, I only see Alkmaar and The Hague on the calendar for this summer.
Add another Futures to the list.

-Edit- The date and placement is the same as last year, so that shouldn't be a factor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts