Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is The Groomsmen Club? Those active players who are Slam finalists, without having lifted the trophy. Some will graduate, others will hold a lifetime membership...

Updated for: 10/10/07

And the Best Man is...
1.Mark Philippoussis!, 2 GS Finals, 1 MS, 10 other singles, 3 doubles, HR#8. Best man to both Pat Rafter (ret.) and Roger Federer.

The Other 9:
2.Guillermo Coria, 1 GS Final, 2 MS, 7 other singles, HR #3. Groomsman to Gaston Gaudio.
3.Novak Djokovic, 1 GS Final, 2 MS, 4 other titles. HR. #3. Groomsman to Roger Federer.
4.David Nalbandian, 1 GS Final, 1 MS, 4 other singles, HR #3. Groomsman to Lleyton Hewitt.
5.Fernando Gonzalez, 1 GS Final, 0 MS, 7 singles, 3 doubles. HR. #5. Groomsman to Roger Federer.
6. Rainer Schuettler, 1 GS Final, 0 MS, 4 other singles, 2 doubles, HR#5 . Groomsman to Andre Agassi (ret.)
7. Arnaud Clement, 1 GS Final, 0 MS, 3 other singles, 5 doubles, HR#10. Groomsman to Andre Agassi (ret.)
8. Marcos Baghdatis, 1 GS Final, 0 MS, 1 singles, HR#8. Groomsman to Roger Federer.
9. Martin Verkerk, 1 GS Final, 2 titles, HR#14. Groomsman to Juan Carlos Ferrero.

I've migrated this thread to this forum. I only post here now, as it's too schizophrenic toggling between two men's threads.

If you want to read the older posts, here's the link:

Old groomsmen posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: The Groomsmen Club: JC and Roger graduate. Scud now #3

Ferreira has won 2 TMS titles?! I remember that fabulous performance over Hewitt in Stuttgart 2000, but what was the other one?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What about Greg Rusedski?
He was in a us open final and won a master series title, also got to number four in the world

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

nike78uk said:
What about Greg Rusedski?
He was in a us open final and won a master series title, also got to number four in the world
Right now, I would place him 11 or 12. One more title, maybe, would put him in the top 10. Defense of RCA???

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

Who's number ten now?;)

·
Registered
26,225 Posts

Leo said:
Ferreira has won 2 TMS titles?! I remember that fabulous performance over Hewitt in Stuttgart 2000, but what was the other one?
Okay, I see that Ferreira won TMS Canada in 1996.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

Marcelo, Marcelo, Marcelo :sad:

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

OOPS! *Completely* forgot about Rusedski's loss against Rafter in 97 US Open. Okay, he makes the list at No. 7.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Did you include Alex's win at the year-end Championship in Hannover in 1998 over Carlos Moya?? He won it the first time he qualified!! Woo hoo! And he beat the hot Moya as well as Sampras!!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Updated to add 1 more title to Flip's resume, 2003 Shanghai.

Haas's rank on list by threatened by a surging Coria.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: The Groomsmen Club: Coria joins the list

Coria joins the list at the French Open. Will anyone join at Wimby?

·
Registered
7,073 Posts

Im sure Coria will graduate.....
Go Coria :worship:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

Nice update TF,, I dont think and do hope that Coria is not on this list for long, like JC Ferrero--didnt catch his first RG final, it jusnt wasnt his year--he couldnt succeed on his first go. I think the same will happen to Coria, if he manages not to slip and fall off a cliff or a bridge or something. What a klutz (sp?)

·
Registered
7,073 Posts

Agreed! :)

·
Banned
1,050 Posts

Why isn't henman on this list, his career has been more fulfilling then Martin's or Rusedski's, despite no grand slam final

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hi, my criteria is the GS final first (ie "groomsmen", the runner up). If there was no GS final, then I look at the number of Masters won, the highest rank achieved, the number of overall titles. To me, you can have a lot of achievements, but a showing in the final really eclipses them all.

Henman and Haas are just barely off the list.

·
Registered
669 Posts

You know TF? Henman has had such a long streak of Top 10 years, that I would consider him adding him.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts