Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it RG 2011 SF when he spoiled Novak's making of tennis history and finger-wagged, or is it some other match during his long career?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hmmm well this is an interesting thread from you....

his win vs Hewitt in 2004 at the USO final was pretty spectacular

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't think so. Novak's winning streak had to end at some point due to exhaustion/fatigue. I mean, he was on a 43 match winning streak. Plus RG used fast balls that year, which made Federer able to servebot on clay. The two tiebreaks that Federer won were really close also (7-5). So...it's not like he easily won.

I think his greatest victories were against Sandgren and Millman this year. I think that was the most heart and courage he has ever shown.

·
Registered
400 Posts
imo US Open 2008, not just because it's his 5th consecutive title, but as said on the other thread, because it happened that year, that he suffered some surprising losses during the season after his debut mononucleosis year, that he's mentally down the hole after RG's execution and the Wimbledon disaster.

His only titles then are .. Estoril on retired Davydenko and Halle vs Kohlschreiber ...

Well ... the only glimmer just before the US Open, is gold medal in doubles with Stan (with win vs Bryan bro in semi) .. but his start in NY is very laborious and not very convincing (Andreev ...).

This saves his season, because back problems will tarnish his end of the year despite the title in Basel, w / o Bercy vs Blake (the first of his career) and at the Masters, again the back, medical time out, physiotherapist massage vs Murray , with elimination in RR.

For me, US 2008 is really the 1st GS (excluding RG) where Federer plays his skin, because he is at 12 slam but the 14 of Sampras in these overall conditions seem very far away.
They were very close a year earlier after US 2007.

A year later, the deal is different, he plugged the hole, RG, took over Wimbledon, the No. 1, and the slam record, after Melbourne drama, more to come can only be a bonus.

He is almost too favorite in NY on heaven, his defeat then seems surprising vs. DP after goat mod vs Djoko, but relative, even if he will never regain his status in NY.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
W 2001 R4 vs Sampras
W 2003 SF vs Roddick
WTF 2003 RR vs Agassi
USO 2004 F vs Hewitt
AO 2007 SF vs Roddick
Hamburg 2007 F vs Nadal
W 2007 F vs Nadal
USO 2008 SF vs Djokovic
FO 2009 R4 vs Haas
FO 2009 SF vs del Potro
USO 2009 SF vs Djokovic
WTF 2010 F vs Nadal
FO 2011 SF vs Djokovic
WTF 2011 RR vs Nadal
W 2012 SF vs Djokovic
W 2012 F vs Murray
OG 2012 SF vs del Potro
W 2015 SF vs Murray
AO 2017 F vs Nadal
W 2019 SF vs Nadal
WTF 2019 vs Djokovic

Great wins against a huge variety of rivals over almost 20 years, many occurring long after most of his peers had retired.

You could make an almost equally impressive list of his great losses.

Greatness is what Federer does.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed with Jolyon's earlier post that Federer's greatest, most important individual win was the 2017 Australian Open final against Nadal, but I will add that his greatest tournament (in my humble, useless opinion) was the 2009 French Open. The second Nadal was ousted by Soderling, the crushing expectations and nearly universal belief that this was Federer's to take must have felt like an albatross to Roger and he was comprehensively pushed by Haas and Del Potro, but kept battling and ultimately well earned the Grand Slam that had eluded him.

·
Banned
693 Posts
1) Federer's win against Baghdatis in the final of the AO 2006 and
2) Federer's win against Fernando Gonzales in the final of the AO 2007.
3) Federer's win against Philippousis in the final of the W 2003.

Plus the 4-5 historic wins against Roddick in the other grand slams finals during the trash 2003-2006 era.

Just amazing achievements, each worthy of an asterisk or two. Or maybe tossing into the bin labeled "trash times, trash titles".

Reactions: sheep85

·
Banned
693 Posts
Which makes my point about the grandeur of that Federer victory. It was an epic battle of two titans for the crown of middle-earth (nowadays called party-hat of mediocreland). Great success!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
W 2001 R4 vs Sampras
W 2003 SF vs Roddick
WTF 2003 RR vs Agassi
USO 2004 F vs Hewitt
AO 2007 SF vs Roddick
Hamburg 2007 F vs Nadal
W 2007 F vs Nadal
USO 2008 SF vs Djokovic
FO 2009 R4 vs Haas
FO 2009 SF vs del Potro
USO 2009 SF vs Djokovic
WTF 2010 F vs Nadal
FO 2011 SF vs Djokovic
WTF 2011 RR vs Nadal
W 2012 SF vs Djokovic
W 2012 F vs Murray
OG 2012 SF vs del Potro
W 2015 SF vs Murray
AO 2017 F vs Nadal
W 2019 SF vs Nadal
WTF 2019 vs Djokovic

Great wins against a huge variety of rivals over almost 20 years, many occurring long after most of his peers had retired.

You could make an almost equally impressive list of his great losses.

Greatness is what Federer does.
show me a great loser and I’ll show you a loser

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends how you define "greatest" victory.

In my opinion his most significant one was winning his 1st ever RG in 2009, coming through a very tough SF against Delpo in 5 sets. Had he lost that semi or final match, he would have never held the RG title, and significantly discredited from ever potentially being the GOAT.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
For comments likes this i was banned once,but now seems like it is allowed.
Okay then,mods

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
Which makes my point about the grandeur of that Federer victory. It was an epic battle of two titans for the crown of middle-earth (nowadays called party-hat of mediocreland). Great success!
Did you enjoy your holiday?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts