Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Guardian (UK national newspaper/website) has been running a series entitled 'the Greatest'. Verdict is in from both their lead tennis writer:

'Adored Like Ali...'

and the fans:

The greatest male tennis player of the last 50 years: the fans' verdict

Some snippets from both:

'Federer – like Sugar Ray Leonard – has the ability to red-line while appearing to cruise, to strain without apparent pain, to give everything and concede nothing, simultaneously beautiful and ruthless: the badge of true greatness.'

'More than 1,500 of you have been in touch and you have a clear favourite. Time and time again you wrote to us to extol his virtues, not just his record of 20 grand slam titles but also his elegance on the court and class off it.'

Perhaps the last thing we need is another post on 'the greatest'. But given the column inches in the press this has taken, I felt it reasonable to post it.

Feel free to combine with any 'GOAT' thread as necessary, mods.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't know if we can reasonably say that Federer is the best while he's still playing and Nadal and Djokovic are still playing.

What I can say, as someone who played the game with reasonable competence, is that we won't see anyone like him again. Not competing at the highest level consistently, playing with that style and elegance.

It's too much of a disadvantage to play that way nowadays. Djokovic and Murray are the model for the modern player. If I was coaching a kid from scratch, I would discourage them from playing like Federer, and encourage them to play like Djokovic. It's simply more practical.

When Federer stops playing, the passing of the most aesthetically pleasing and talented player will be mourned, even by people who are not big tennis fans. When Nadal and Djokovic stop playing, outside of their small groups of supporters, the majority of which are Spanish and Serbian respectively, few people will particularly care.

We probably won't see anyone produce their level of consistency for quite some time, but we will see their style of play and gameplan replicated repeatedly, particularly Djokovic.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Federer is Nadal's bitch,he was one step away from the greatest until Djokovic came and he became two steps away from the greatest
just because he turned around his h2h against nadal doesnt mean he is now the greatest,he is still the 3rd

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I don't know if we can reasonably say that Federer is the best while he's still playing and Nadal and Djokovic are still playing.

What I can say, as someone who played the game with reasonable competence, is that we won't see anyone like him again. Not competing at the highest level consistently, playing with that style and elegance.

It's too much of a disadvantage to play that way nowadays. Djokovic and Murray are the model for the modern player. If I was coaching a kid from scratch, I would discourage them from playing like Federer, and encourage them to play like Djokovic. It's simply more practical.

When Federer stops playing, the passing of the most aesthetically pleasing and talented player will be mourned, even by people who are not big tennis fans. When Nadal and Djokovic stop playing, outside of their small groups of supporters, the majority of which are Spanish and Serbian respectively, few people will particularly care.

We probably won't see anyone produce their level of consistency for quite some time, but we will see their style of play and gameplan replicated repeatedly, particularly Djokovic.
How does Federer’s cock taste?

Reactions: Han Solo and Bakano

·
Your visions will happen
50,831 Posts
Fed stans reduced to arguing with "style, grace, elegance, beauty, and marketing" etc because they know Rafa or Djoker or both are about to break all his records. And may have already done it by now if Corona didn't save Fed's ass

·
Your visions will happen
50,831 Posts
Top 8 last 50 yrs

Fed, Nadal, Djoker in whatever order you wish

4- Sampras
5- Borg
6- Lendl
7- Connors
8- Agassi

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Since his Wimb'09 jacket decorated with a "15" logo, it is Federer.

33-34 y.o. Nadal and 33 y.o. Djokovic are both arguably slightly greater than 33-34 y.o. Federer was, though, so, one of them or both might surpass him by the end of their careers.

Djokovic might finish his career as the most successful Fedalovic, because he has already amassed the most big titles, but Nadal could be the greatest with 21+ slams.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Federer the GOAT? You mean the player who got dominated by TWO rivals and who will finish with the third most slams ever? :ROFLMAO:

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Since his Wimb'09 jacket decorated with a "15" logo, it is Federer.

33-34 y.o. Nadal and 33 y.o. Djokovic are both arguably slightly greater than 33-34 y.o. Federer was, though, so, one of them or both might surpass him by the end of their careers.
Slightly? Arguably?? Novak won 12 more big titles than Federer and did all of that by going through much harder opposition. There is no "slightly" or "arguably." Novak is definitely much greater.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
There is no GOAT due to different generations but you can’t use the weak era argument for Federer considering that both Dull and Djokovic are vulturing this pathetic era right now. It goes both ways and the golden era has been gone for years now. For the big 3 specifically, they all have accomplishments that give them an advantage and also holes in their resume that hurt them. As of now, I still consider Federer ahead but Novak is right on his ass and could surpass him and honestly probably will. Dull is 3rd tho cause his success off clay isn’t good enough to put him ahead.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Well, it's "The Guardian"... In UK... So, let's not get too excited :)

But, let's summarize objectively -
1. Rafa and Novak DOMINATE Federer in H2H. Federer simply isn't a match for these 2. They all share the same era, and Federer, amongst these three, is the worst player. While Novak is clearly the winner of the H2H battle against Rafa and Fed. Plus, Rafa beats Federer like a little drum.
2. Federer simply doesn't have the mental and competitive edge that Rafa and Novak have. He's mentally weak and only dominates lesser players (clearly seen by the H2H and the fact that he won most of his GSs against Baghdathis and such). Again, even though very close - Novak has a slight edge here over Rafa and Rafa leaves Federer way behind. Rafa and Novak won everything they won playing against Federer - while Federer won most of his titles playing against Baghdathis.
3. Athletically, Federer is behind Rafa and Novak also - the difference is slight but clearly visible.
4. Truth be told - if Federer didn't have so much luck with the "weak era" he started in - he'd be at the level of Wawrinka and/or Andy Murray and such.

Federer is "big business" brand - and as such, it has to be protected by the ones that created him (and benefit hugely from his brand). That includes media, sports industry, merchandisers, sports marketing, etc etc. A lot is hinging on that brand.

But, when all is seen objectively - Federer is simply not as good as Rafa and Novak - never was, never will be.

Edit: I think this deserves a separate thread.

Reactions: letfirstserve

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
How does Federer’s cock taste?
I just tell the truth. Some people can't handle the truth. That is to be expected.

What I'm saying is self-evidently true because Federer gets massive support wherever he goes. Whereas no-one is really that bothered about Djokovic, apart from a few rabid Serbs, and Nadal doesn't even get support at the French Open! The French crowd want him to lose virtually every match, and definitely every close match. Do you know why? Because he's boring. His style of play is boring. His matches are boring. Even his personality is boring...I try my best, I try my best. He has to be that boring so he doesn't get bored to death by his own play.

They are both great tennis players, but they will never be remotely as admired as Federer, they will never have the aesthetic beauty of Federer, they will never have the highlight reels of Federer, they will never have the range of shot of Federer. They may grimly and admirably grind out more Grand Slams. We'll see.

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
LOL! Over on tennis.com (Feddis.com) longtime tennis columnist Joel Drucker recently wrote the GOAT debate is absurd, a waste of time.
This after over a decade of the site celebrating Fed, glorifying Fed to no end, at the expense of Rafa and djok. They have never treated Djok or Rafa as equal to Fed (they clearly are, I don't care what one Newspaper and a bunch of only vaguely-informed fans think) and I found it so "classic" that as Rafa is zoning in on the Fed slam record, suddenlyl the GOAT debate is ridiculous.
Fans are told on 24/7 basis that Fed is the greatest--most are unaware of his slam record against Rafa and Djok, the nature of his large amount of titles 9so many 250s) at least half of his acheivements gained against players inferior to Rafa and djok, so of course this is what they think.
I have never made a claim for Rafa or Djok as GOAT--just disputed the premature and incorrect claim for Fed. Oh god who even gives a shit given what has happened to world in the past six months?
LOL I guess I still do.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts