Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So bitches, if you read my non-tennis thread, I've been out of power and now am staying with family so I can watch the US Open! Unfortunately I missed the first two days, that's why I haven't been here for those who asked. But I'm back, and it seems I missed a lot of exciting things, and brutal tennis. So, this is my rundown on what I have seen, highlights I've seen on various matches, and the results thus far.

THE GOOD:
--Ernests Gulbis. Wow, saw some of that match, extremely impressed with the authority he was hitting the ball with. He looks motivated and clear headed. Rafa doesn't want to play him in R4.

--Novak Djokovic. Less than an hour on court, basically a warm-up intense practice match v Niland. Just what the doctor ordered for his body and a good way to get started in the event. His draw is very good for a few more rounds, and he should continue cruising easily. A lack of rhythm is much less of an issue for him than most players, especially with as confident as he is.

--Nikolay Davydenko. Winning in five against a tough fighter in Dodig is a great accomplishment for him. One would think he would give up after the losing a tight first set but he hung in and got the job done. Deserves credit for continuing to try his best when his game and confidence is so low. Maybe this will kick-start him.

--Richard Gasquet. I expected a great performace and a clear victory and he didn't disappoint. Stakhovsky is a tough player to play on HC so winning so comfortably is very impressive. The Dolgo v Gasquet rematch from Cincinnati in R3 here looks delicious already.

THE BAD:
--Pere Riba. Up a break in the first set, losing the set and only one game afterwards v Berlocq. Too many instances of tanking after going down sets throughout his career. Whether this was injury induced or not, a very poor effort overall, losing well over half of service points against someone one would think he actually had a chance with at this event.

--Michael Berrer. Not being able to defeat Starace at this event on these courts says a lot about his lack of ability on outdoor hard court. He's definitely got to be excited the indoor season is coming upon us soon.

--Mikhail Youzhny. Can someone say DONE?! Not even able to keep it really competitive with Gulbis, with so much on the line for him in terms of ranking points, says a lot about where he is at this juncture in his career. The question now is, can he turn things around like he has done in the past, or is he just a mediocre veteran on the downslide?

--Phillip Kohlschreiber. Stepanek must have played excellent tennis to defeat Kohli so easily, and the H2H shows that this was always going to be difficult for Kohli. But 4-6 1-6 3-6 isn't an acceptable scoreline for someone of Kohlschreiber's ability.

--Andrey Golubev. Up a break in all three sets and losing all of them, including a *5-2 third set lead. Shotmaking talent is still there, but the head (and footwork, plan B when his ballbashing isn't working) is not.

THE UGLY:
--Tobias Kamke. Anyone want to argue why I don't consider him a very good player after the performance he gave v Fish? The stats speak for themselves.

--Adrian Mannarino. Even worse than Kamke, winning three games v Florian Mayer, a guy who traditionally struggles on these sorts of courts. His results have been pretty awful for a while, and while I know he hasn't been healthy and hasn't been able to practice as much, surely he could have done better than this :eek:

--Dmitry Tursunov. Up two sets and a break and couldn't get the job done. Lost in a similar fashion last week in Winston-Salem as well. The opponent in both matches: Steve Darcis. The affable Russian-American surely can't be happy with his lackluster USO series.

--Viktor Troicki. He's here for the simple fact he seemingly cannot win a close match on a big stage to save himself outside of Davis Cup. For someone who shows so much heart playing for his country, he far too often comes up short in his personal career, when it really matters the most.

--US Open court speed. Wow, Fed was right, it's a lot slower, and that's a bad thing. Much harder to hit clean winners and that is what made the USO such an exciting event. Now expect to see higher error counts and much less attractive tennis throughout the event :rolleyes:

Other Notes: Kukuskin won, that really sucks, Granollers desperately needs to take that trash to the garbage bin where it belongs; Nadal was adequate, but he'll need to be much better in his next rounds to advance past R4; although Dima lost from a commanding position, Darcis proved once again today what a fighter he is, great win for him; also good comebacks for Kunitsyn, Mahut, Ferrero, Llodra and Sela. JCF and Marathon Man are no surprise, but Dudi and Mika aren't noted for their fighting skills, so they deserve credit.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything anyone else wants to add, feel free. What did I miss that I wish I had seen? What good/bad/ugly thing did I not discuss? Is the court speed as bad as I think it is? And what are your thoughts on the event so far? Chat away :wavey:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Anything anyone else wants to add, feel free. What did I miss that I wish I had seen? What good/bad/ugly thing did I not discuss? Is the court speed as bad as I think it is? And what are your thoughts on the event so far? Chat away :wavey:
Why wasnt Gael in the good he was fantastic against Grigor including 26/35 at the net.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on what I have seen and read, and the stats, that match was more entertaining than high quality.

Also I do need to show Cilic some love, I expected him to go down in straights, but he kept the error/winner count about equal, which is decent. Harrison seemed horrible according to stats, which means I'm thinking the sickness he had hasn't gone away.

There are a few other guys I'm UNHAPPY that they won, but I'm tired, nighty night, talk amongst yourselves while I go get some sleep in :angel:

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
The courts are playing very slow this year

Kukushkin beat Montanes fair and square - played well. Deserves some credit.

Very mediocre stuff from Stan today apart from 6-7 games at the end of the second and third sets

And no bad list from these first two days is complete without Thomaz Bellucci near the top.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
i think golubev should be placed in the ugly section, really horrendous performance tonight in advantageous positions.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
I think Golubev deserves an entire section of his own, 'The Bad' just doesn't seem insulting enough

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
Francis: please create a "The Choking Crap of the Year" thing for Golubev, would you my dear? :kiss:

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Francis: please create a "The Choking Crap of the Year" thing for Golubev, would you my dear? :kiss:
You should probably add Verdasco in there as well, choked massively against both Tipsy and Nadal earlier this month, against Soderling in Rome.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Pretty much adequate recap, Filo. :yeah:
Would it be an idea to add Troicki and Golubev to BOTH the 'Bad' and the 'Ugly' section? :)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
THE GOOD:

--Richard Gasquet. I expected a great performace and a clear victory and he didn't disappoint. Stakhovsky is a tough player to play on HC so winning so comfortably is very impressive. The Dolgo v Gasquet rematch from Cincinnati in R3 here looks delicious already.
Wow,he beat Stakhovsky.....:eek:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the ideas that you all have thought of and delivered, but this tournament completely sucks for me. After DGT, Beck and Gicquel lost matches they had no business losing (DGT and Beck for health reasons), then Istomin won and pretty much all the guys I wanted to see lose won, it made me realize this event just isn't gonna go the way it should and the way I want, so I don't give a flying fuck and I'm not really following it anymore because everything has been ruined.

Anyway, if you all have any ideas, you can always take this thread and run with it. Be creative and have fun, I can't be bothered to do shit and be upset about something insignificant.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
There hasn't been a any great matches thus far. It's been a fairly low key event. I expect it to pick up pretty soon though. Hopefully Donald can kick things off by knocking of Wawrinka.

I was pleased with Somdev's effort in the 1st set vs Murray. To bad he played loose points at 3-1 up in the breaker.

I was dissapointed to see both Johnson and Farah give up 2 set leads, would have been nice for at least of them to pull of a win. Johnson would have had a good shot at the 3rd round as well.

Of course I am upset by Nishikori retiring, would have loved to see him play Dolgo in round 2

Dolgopolov looked decent. Should get past Cipolla, then his real tournament begins.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm very disappointed about Nishikori losing and not being able to put forth a real performance. So many health and body issues he can't shake off.

I don't know yet how I feel about Cipolla being in the top 100. I like him, but I think I like him more as a guy out of the top 100. The same with Ilhan. I'm starting to dislike him, because I really still don't think he's a top 100 player and the fact he's there is unsettling and upsetting.

I wanted Stevie to win, but he fought so hard and deserves tons of credit. But I really wanted Mahut to win and he got the job done, because now I can watch him on a show court v Rafa and because he gained much needed points.

Don winning was one of the only real positives of this event so far. I really hoped Machi would take out Wawrinka a set and break up. But Don has a great shot at R4 now, which would be awesome.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for Pippo, he's making his money. Tennis is a business and he knows how to play the system. I don't approve of his actions, but gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Granollers, Haas, Verdasco, Tomic and Monfils I hope desperately win their matches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts