Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Federer and Nadal fading, the great rivalries of the last decade are over and it appears that there are no players to take their places. When Djokovic (hopefully) recovers there'll be no one to seriously or consistently challenge him.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
With Federer and Nadal fading, the great rivalries of the last decade are over and it appears that there are no players to take their places. When Djokovic (hopefully) recovers there'll be no one to seriously or consistently challenge him.
In the meantime 10 of the next 12 GS shall go to the ex big-4.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Well, I'm also a bit worried about what will we have left when Fed, Nadal and Djoker retire. Totaly random players winning titles and slams? Maybe exciting for some, but I think tennis needs one, two or three dominant players and the rest of the field who are challenging them.
I'm afraid this golden era is coming to an end, but I will have great memories on this era which was placed in the best years of my life. :)

·
12,691 Posts
Well, I'm also a bit worried about what will we have left when Fed, Nadal and Djoker retire. Totaly random players winning titles and slams? Maybe exciting for some, but I think tennis needs one, two or three dominant players and the rest of the field who are challenging them.
I'm afraid this golden era is coming to an end, but I will have great memories on this decade which was placed in the best years of my life. :)

+1

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm afraid this golden era is coming to an end, but I will have great memories on this decade which was placed in the best years of my life. :)
There will be less quality than the WTA.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Totaly random players winning titles and slams? Maybe exciting for some, but I think tennis needs one, two or three dominant players and the rest of the field who are challenging them.
No it doesn't. :wavey:

We all know what happened in 2004-2007 when everyone bent over to Federer as if he was the next coming of Jesus. And then in 2010 when nobody showed up to play against Rafa.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Dimi-Nishi seems like a great future rivalry. Add JJ to that mix and they are ready to take over the tour after the GOATwrinka era is over.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
There was never any golden age.

However it is true that the field is getting weaker, in fact it has been slowly been doing that since 2009 (with the notable exception of Djokovic 2011).

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Tennis, ever since the very beginning of the game, has gone like this in cycles.

Dominant player arises, has some years at the top, another guy or two also in there winning everything for a number of years. Then they fade, and initiates what MTF would call a "mug era" with some years where the slams would be won by several players but no dominant ones. This phase would last some years until the new stars emerged. And so on.

Question is how many more years for these guys, then we gonna see what's going on.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
are the ATP shitting themselves yet?

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Tennis, ever since the very beginning of the game, has gone like this in cycles.

Dominant player arises, has some years at the top, another guy or two also in there winning everything for a number of years. Then they fade, and initiates what MTF would call a "mug era" with some years where the slams would be won by several players but no dominant ones. This phase would last some years until the new stars emerged. And so on.

Question is how many more years for these guys, then we gonna see what's going on.
The question should be, How long will it take until Johnny Groove rises ?
Its all in your racket according to MTF.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts

Well said!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The previous great age of rivalries was in the 1980s with Connors, Borg, McEnroe and Lendl. It took twenty years after that came to an end before Fed, Nadal and Djoko emerged. We may have a decade to wait till another strong group emerges.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
The previous great age of rivalries was in the 1980s with Connors, Borg, McEnroe and Lendl. It took twenty years after that came to an end before Fed, Nadal and Djoko emerged. We may have a decade to wait till another strong group emerges.
Sampras Agassi...

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Tennis will be fine once Fed, Rafa, and Novak retire. Maybe it will suffer a bit at first but then new faces will win Slams and become big stars of their own.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts