Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal is all but done and has been struggling physically and mentally since late 2017. With Djokovic winning the last 3 Slams, Federer having a resurgence and Thiem posing a great threat to him on clay, it seems unlikely that he will win another GS.

That being said, the Slam race is between Djokovic and Federer right now. Djokovic will probably peak for RG and USO and win them both, putting him at 17, equal to Nadal. On the other hand, Federer will likely win Wimbledon, putting him at 21. It's difficult to predict beyond this year, but surely Federer will have a few more chances to add to his 21 and I don't see anyone from the current generation stopping Djokovic's domination in the next 3-4 years (apart from injuries) so it isn't unreasonable to predict that he can add 5 or more GS in 2020-2023.

What's your take? Who will top the slam race once everything is said and done, Djokovic or Federer?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It is too far fetched imo. I have no idea what is Djokovic's level atm, after AO he looked like it didn't really matter to him whether he is losing or winning. In his post AO F interview he stated his focus is preparing for clay season this year...didn't really see much of it so far. So is that a phase or a permanent state?

Nadal, he is still a favorite for RG as long as he is in the draw. Despite the odds and ranking he is the man to beat there. But yes, many, will feel encouraged to actually try and do so.

Federer, I can't pick him as a Wimbledon favorite just because of his age, Wimbledon being Bo5.

My conclusion is, I have no bloody idea what is gonna happen, and it's actually good for sport, we may even see new slam winners. All I can tell is that actually Wimbledon is the slam I'd say on of big3 will win for sure, on remaining ones, other guys will have their say too.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Nadal will take another 5-6 months break from the tour and will make another 3-4 slam finals in 2020-2022 period.

Same is true for Djokovic and probably Federer.

2023-2024 period is a big enigma, NextGen might completely prevail, Rafole could still make several GS finals, WWIII could stop GS events ...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nadal has just reached a slam final three months ago. He has reached SF or higher in the last four slams (W, SF, SF F). In 2014 he lost earlier in both MC and Barcelona and still went on to take RG. He is definitely not done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nadal is all but done and has been struggling physically and mentally since late 2017. With Djokovic winning the last 3 Slams, Federer having a resurgence and Thiem posing a great threat to him on clay, it seems unlikely that he will win another GS.

That being said, the Slam race is between Djokovic and Federer right now. Djokovic will probably peak for RG and USO and win them both, putting him at 17, equal to Nadal. On the other hand, Federer will likely win Wimbledon, putting him at 21. It's difficult to predict beyond this year, but surely Federer will have a few more chances to add to his 21 and I don't see anyone from the current generation stopping Djokovic's domination in the next 3-4 years (apart from injuries) so it isn't unreasonable to predict that he can add 5 or more GS in 2020-2023.

What's your take? Who will top the slam race once everything is said and done, Djokovic or Federer?
Unlikely that Rafa wins another slam? Man, it's very likely that Rafa wins the next slam being RG!

·
Registered
956 Posts
People seem to not realise there is a huge difference between smaller events and slams.

Until one of these youngsters can beat 2 of the big guns back to back in BO5, I'm not picking against any of the three greats.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Even if Djokovic holds back the clock for a while longer, his 8 failed Slams from W 16 to RG 18 will cost him.

With Nadal it looks like RG 20 will be his last realistic shot, don't see him reaching the magic number.

If they changed Slams to best of 3, Fed could get to 23/24. But they won't.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Still too many unknown variables to predict anything regarding Majors but until someone can begin to take at least a set or 2 off Nadal at FO, it probably still lies on his racquet though as we see recently w/ less certainty than previous years. After AO, i had believed Novak would make a concerted effort to shore up his game on Clay to make a push for DCGS but perhaps fatigue or family issues trumped that & as of now, he's an unknown quantity so w/ 2 more Clay Masters left, he'll probably just try to play himself into form leading up to FO. As for the remaining year/season, WB could probably go to anyone peaking again, esp. Fedovic if they r in form by then & last but not least, peaking for USO is imperative for Novak's legacy if he is to keep pace w/ Fed in HC majors count as he needs only 2 more for the all time HC majors record & w/ the most (8) finalist appearances at USO, needs to boost winning % stat there.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
federer will do a channel slam and seal the deal, and probably regain No1 ranking so that both of his two Most important records are safe

·
Your visions will happen
47,119 Posts
Not looking past Madrid of course

Let's see those narratives change week by week

Thiem was a mug last week remember? Now he is the GOAT

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Even if Djokovic holds back the clock for a while longer, his 8 failed Slams from W 16 to RG 18 will cost him.

With Nadal it looks like RG 20 will be his last realistic shot, don't see him reaching the magic number.

If they changed Slams to best of 3, Fed could get to 23/24. But they won't.
What cost Djokovic is his 1 slam a year during 2012-14. At ages 25-27.
Three of his prime years with 3 slams is just not enough. There were 9 slams for the taking.

What he has done in 2018-19, 3 consecutive slams at 30+, is a miracle.
Needs a bigger miracle to get near or past Fed.

·
Your visions will happen
47,119 Posts
Nadal and Djokovic both need this coming RG bad if they really want to do this thing

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
What cost Djokovic is his 1 slam a year during 2012-14. At ages 25-27.
Three of his prime years with 3 slams is just not enough. There were 9 slams for the taking.

What he has done in 2018-19, 3 consecutive slams at 30+, is a miracle.
Needs a bigger miracle to get near or past Fed.
But could have Djokovic really done better in 12-13 when the competition was quite strong? Let’s see in 2012, Nadal was too strong in RG, in Wimbledon Federer was too strong, in USO the wind was too strong.

In 2013, Murray outplayed him in Wimbledon final, and Nadal did the same for USO. RG was close but Nadal was ultimately the better player in that match and if you argued that he could have won had the net touch didn’t happened, well so take note how Djokovic could have lost AO 13 if the linesmen didn’t make a mistake vs Wawrinka or AO 12 if Nadal would have been able to consolidate his break. Hence I’d say 1 slam in 2012/13 is fair.

I agree that 2014 was a wasted opportunity tho. Especially USO losing to Pishi

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
But could have Djokovic really done better in 12-13 when the competition was quite strong? Let’s see in 2012, Nadal was too strong in RG, in Wimbledon Federer was too strong, in USO the wind was too strong.
The wind was the same for both players.

He overachieved big time in '14, if not for Roger's brainfarting he would have been slamless in that season.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

In 2013, Murray outplayed him in Wimbledon final, and Nadal did the same for USO. RG was close but Nadal was ultimately the better player in that match and if you argued that he could have won had the net touch didn’t happened, well so take note how Djokovic could have lost AO 13 if the linesmen didn’t make a mistake vs Wawrinka or AO 12 if Nadal would have been able to consolidate his break. Hence I’d say 1 slam in 2012/13 is fair.

Djoel could've won all of 2012/13/14 USOs tbh if not for the mental disgustitude out there. Although at the same time he could've also lost 2011/15 USOs if peak Chokerer didn't make an appearance.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts