Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
or disagree? Watching the high quality match between Fed and Nalbandian made me think about this. The mens game relys so much on topspin-heavy rallies. Players, especially on clay, try and outhit their opponents with the heaviness of their shots - not the power. This play is obviously more suited to the claycourts, the slower hardcourts of Plexicushion (and also rebound ace) and the relatively slower indoor hardcourts all found with in the first 6 months of the year. Most ATP players love it. Obviously there are exceptions e.g Federer and the Americans who find themselves much more at home on the fast grasscourts and hardcourts of this world (aka WImbledon and US Open) but this is the general rule. As the small grasscourt season comes to the fore, it seems that the quality of the matches slowly drops. Nowadays, most mens players perform best on claycourts. Obviously this should make sense considering most players are from europe of south America but looking at the womens' game, things just don't really add up. Evidence to support this is the fact that Wimbledon has gone out of their way to slow down the courts to more suit the topspin-heavy rallies of the men's game rather than the flat ball hitting of the women's game.

The women's game is completely different. Let's face it, women have different body types to the men and if every single WTA player tried to sacrifice some of that power they get from flat ball striking to add more topspin, it just wouldn't work. The game would just be a bunch of moonballers. Obviously there are exceptions like Schnyder who has good results using a topspin heavy game and players like Justine and Tati Golovin with which you see almost dramatic differences on different surfaces but flat-ball hitting is the norm with the women. Just look at the no. 2 and 3; Ivanovic and Sharapova, both aim to go out on court and hit the ball hard. They're by no means quick and not natural athletes AT ALL but it works for them. This first half of the season has been quite horrible for the Women and i've been more impressed with the men. I think this will definatly turn around come the grasscourt season. Although, as most MTFers are quickly to bring up, many more WTA matches are error fests (see US Open semi-final Chakvetadze vs Kuznetsova)when they do get it right, IMO, it's even more exciting than the men's matches (ironically, you just have to look at the very next match for evidence - Henin vs Venus in the US Open Semis). Which is why the Men own the first half and women, the second.

Oh, and no WTA bashing, please. :eek:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Sounds like nonsense to me.

I watch and follow the WTA but I find mens tennis to be much higher quality and generally entertaining than the women, whichever part of the season we're in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the only part where this is true is the one month grass season
we have some real clay court mugs out there in the ATP tour
who are real "cows on ice" on grass to borrow sharapova's term
whereas the women play decent grass court tennis

·
@Ryan's Hat
19,893 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
US Open provides a lot of great mens in my opinion. The best womens match I've seen was probably in Madrid but I'd still have to disagree with the statement. Also more of the women seem to be worn out in the second half of the season than the men.
:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
That makes sense, although I think it has to do with the women playing better tennis during the Wimbledon-U.S. Open run. Mostly because they are more fitted to play on those courts. Women will likely not produce a Roddick-El Aynaoui in Australia but the men probably won't have a match as dramatic as Venus-Davenport at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
That makes sense, although I think it has to do with the women playing better tennis during the Wimbledon-U.S. Open run. Mostly because they are more fitted to play on those courts. Women will likely not produce a Roddick-El Aynaoui in Australia but the men probably won't have a match as dramatic as Venus-Davenport at Wimbledon.
Women will definitely never produce Roddick-El Aynaoui if they never play best-of-5 sets. However to say that the men won't have as dramatic a match as Venus-Davenport is almost more down to opinion. I will admit that I've only seen mini clips of the Venus-Davenport clash, but I still don't agree ;).

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
There is no comparison between the ATP and the WTA.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
or disagree? Watching the high quality match between Fed and Nalbandian made me think about this. The mens game relys so much on topspin-heavy rallies. Players, especially on clay, try and outhit their opponents with the heaviness of their shots - not the power. This play is obviously more suited to the claycourts, the slower hardcourts of Plexicushion (and also rebound ace) and the relatively slower indoor hardcourts all found with in the first 6 months of the year. Most ATP players love it. Obviously there are exceptions e.g Federer and the Americans who find themselves much more at home on the fast grasscourts and hardcourts of this world (aka WImbledon and US Open) but this is the general rule. As the small grasscourt season comes to the fore, it seems that the quality of the matches slowly drops. Nowadays, most mens players perform best on claycourts. Obviously this should make sense considering most players are from europe of south America but looking at the womens' game, things just don't really add up. Evidence to support this is the fact that Wimbledon has gone out of their way to slow down the courts to more suit the topspin-heavy rallies of the men's game rather than the flat ball hitting of the women's game.

The women's game is completely different. Let's face it, women have different body types to the men and if every single WTA player tried to sacrifice some of that power they get from flat ball striking to add more topspin, it just wouldn't work. The game would just be a bunch of moonballers. Obviously there are exceptions like Schnyder who has good results using a topspin heavy game and players like Justine and Tati Golovin with which you see almost dramatic differences on different surfaces but flat-ball hitting is the norm with the women. Just look at the no. 2 and 3; Ivanovic and Sharapova, both aim to go out on court and hit the ball hard. They're by no means quick and not natural athletes AT ALL but it works for them. This first half of the season has been quite horrible for the Women and i've been more impressed with the men. I think this will definatly turn around come the grasscourt season. Although, as most MTFers are quickly to bring up, many more WTA matches are error fests (see US Open semi-final Chakvetadze vs Kuznetsova)when they do get it right, IMO, it's even more exciting than the men's matches (ironically, you just have to look at the very next match for evidence - Henin vs Venus in the US Open Semis). Which is why the Men own the first half and women, the second.

Fuck WTA

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Eh. I can't watch WTA tennis except for Henin and maybe Schnyder and Schiavone (but they don't win much these days). Sharapova, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, the Williams sisters, etc--they're just mindless ball bashers. Actually, it's kind of like watching a bunch of players who move as well as Roddick and have the strategy of James Blake. Not my cup of tea.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
I'm a woman, and I couldn't disagree more with this. There is no comparison between the ATP and the WTA, except the women wear nicer outfits.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
i watch mens tennis to see good quality matches and womens tennis to watch eye candy, which is why i watch so few wta matches

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Games between two 10-yr. olds on Nintendo Wii are more entertaining than any WTA tour "match" this decade.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts