Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's have a thread for once on someone else other than your usual top 10 suspects. :yeah:

Feliciano Lopez. A truly, truly talented individual and a much undervalued member of the ATP tour! :worship: :yeah: Never EVER gets the adulation he deserves! So here is a mention.

A natural tennis player, with excellent touch, feel guile and timing. His tennis is so refreshing to see amongst this era that has been mostly dominated by base liners. He's a top bloke and reacted so admirably to the disappointment of losing out to Dimitrov in the Queens final three weeks back. Let's remember, he had THREE or so championship-points in that final.

No doubt had Feliciano been around in the 90s he would have made some semi-finals or/and even a final here at Wimbledon? COuld have given Sampras a good run for his money.

Here's hoping he can oust Stanislas and cap off a very good career with a last 8 showing at the greatest, most prestigious tennis tournament of them all. :yeah:

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Let's have a thread for once on someone else other than your usual top 10 suspects. :yeah:

Feliciano Lopez. A truly, truly talented individual and a much undervalued member of the ATP tour! :worship: :yeah: Never EVER gets the adulation he deserves! So here is a mention.

A natural tennis player, with excellent touch, feel guile and timing. His tennis is so refreshing to see amongst this era that has been mostly dominated by base liners. He's a top bloke and reacted so admirably to the disappointment of losing out to Dimitrov in the Queens final three weeks back. Let's remember, he had THREE or so championship-points in that final.

No doubt had Feliciano been around in the 90s he would have made some semi-finals or/and even a final here at Wimbledon? COuld have given Sampras a good run for his money.

Here's hoping he can oust Stanislas and cap off a very good career with a last 8 showing at the greatest, most prestigious tennis tournament of them all. :yeah:
:spit:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:yeah:

Give me one good reason not?

His lefty serve being thrown into Sampras's backhand? Sampras's backhand was a liability. You think Federer's backhand is a target? He'd serve into the backhand, draw lofted replies/returns and clean up as he always does at the net. There'd be very few breaks of serves and anything can happen in tie-breaks. :yeah:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
He is definitely excellent on grass and will hopefully make his 4th Quarterfinal at Wimbledon tomorrow. One more win and he will get to number 18 in the world, that is quite an achievement at the age of nearly 33.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I like Lopez but yeah I don't think he's quite on the levels of Sampras. :p

·
Registered
388 Posts
I remember the first time I came across Feliciano was when he played Safin at Wimbledon 2008. Didn't know much about him back then, even though they were players of nearly the same generation.

Saw him play a lot these last few weeks, during these three grass tournaments, and I have to agree that his game is something different. It's somewhat hard to believe that he's barely got a positive W/L record and that he's never made it past a SF at any Master's or Grand Slam event - considering how many lesser players have stumbled into such achievements.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
I remember the first time I came across Feliciano was when he played Safin at Wimbledon 2008. Didn't know much about him back then, even though they were players of nearly the same generation.

Saw him play a lot these last few weeks, during these three grass tournaments, and I have to agree that his game is something different. It's somewhat hard to believe that he's barely got a positive W/L record and that he's never made it past a SF at any Master's or Grand Slam event - considering how many lesser players have stumbled into such achievements.
he's incredible bad on clay and weak on slow hard too. even at indoor hard he can't play like he play on grass.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like Lopez but yeah I don't think he's quite on the levels of Sampras. :p
Think about how much slicker the grass-courts were prior to 2003 and then confidently list me off how many of those guys playing before then, would have beaten Feliciano?

1) Sampras
2) Ivanovic
3) Rafter
4) Philippoussis? (May be)
5) Henman? (He battered him easily in 07 I recall)
6) Hewitt?
7) Roddick?

With a decent draw he could easily have made a semi-final or two at the All England Championships. :yeah:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

He is a tennis old soul.

His style is aimed at 70s, 80s and 90s tennis. He would have been top 10, or near there in any other decade, as we would have seen more similarly positive results on hard-court to as we've seen here, on grass.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Okay, so Isner servebots and he is killing tennis, but Lopez servebots and he gets threads like this?

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so Isner servebots and he is killing tennis, but Lopez servebots and he gets threads like this?
You think Feliciano is just a 'big-serve'?

Brace yourself for the touch.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
and he is so sexy. Amazing

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Does he have a shot for the title? The only guy I can accept as the eventual winner other than Rafa

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
VAMOS, spanish grass monster!
:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

He might be boring for some, but tennis needs more players like him.

·
Registered
838 Posts
VAMOS, spanish grass monster!
:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

He might be boring for some, but tennis needs more players like him.
How is he boring on grass?

Finesse net player with great touch. He's as fun of a player as you can get on grass.

Wish he makes a run for the title. Highly unlikely, but it'd be awesome.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's not boring. lol Only tools think he's boring.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Think about how much slicker the grass-courts were prior to 2003 and then confidently list me off how many of those guys playing before then, would have beaten Feliciano?

1) Sampras
2) Ivanovic
3) Rafter
4) Philippoussis? (May be)
5) Henman? (He battered him easily in 07 I recall)
6) Hewitt?
7) Roddick?

With a decent draw he could easily have made a semi-final or two at the All England Championships. :yeah:
Surely you meant Ivanisevic?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts