Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the Earth will last forever?

When the sun turns into a big bright red giant do you think it will swallow up the earth?

Obviously it could melt and evaporate all the oceans etc, but the planet might survive, even if most of us dont.

Colonising other planets is an idea, but it would only save us, not our planet.

Do you think our planet is on borrowed time, or it will last forever?

Will a commet eventually get it if nothing else does?

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I just hope your mustache, preserved in museums up to that point, will be floating in outer space, unharmed and unchanged from its pristine form.

Reactions: jmf07

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
the earth will be completely destroyed after a few billions of years. however, you sound like humans will still exist at this point. humans won't exist anymore when this is happening.

hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
21,314 Posts

When the sun turns into a big bright red giant do you think it will swallow up the earth?

Obviously it could melt and evaporate all the oceans etc, but the planet might survive, even if most of us dont.

If nature is allowed to run its course, they yes, the Sun will swallow the Earth and that will be it, I don't think anything useful will remain.

However, a civilization few billions years old should be advanced enough to do something about it, long before that happens :)

·
Your visions will happen
48,530 Posts
We will surely have colonized other planets by the time the sun swallows the Earth. The real question is what the ultimate fate of the universe is.

·
28,736 Posts

A better question is, what will the fate of the universe be? I don't know, there are some interesting possibilities for that question.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
This is, by far, the worst thing I've ever written on this forum, but my opinion about this matter is exactly the same as Bilbo's. :questionssanity:

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
I don't think we will colonize others planets. Others habitable planets are too distant.

·
Banned
17,155 Posts
Mankind days are numbered.

In a few decades machines are taking over, whipe us from the face of the planet and engage in interplanetarian conquest.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
It's even questionable whether planet Earth will even be able to survive its current severe infection with homo sapiens...

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
earth will be swallowed by a black hole in December next year

so lose your virginity while you can

·
Premium Member
21,314 Posts
Part of me wishes we do, so we don't have a chance to exploit and destroy other planets.
Still, you aren't going to commit suicide to help saving the planet, right? ;)

I don't think we will colonize others planets. Others habitable planets are too distant.
Too distant for this technology, but probably not so for a better technology. America, Australia and some other places used to be too distant as well, not nearly as much today.

It's even questionable whether planet Earth will even be able to survive its current severe infection with homo sapiens...
I'm sure this planet has survived far worse things in the past. Compared with huge asteriods collisions, super volcanoes and what not, human activity is probably not even junior league.

·
Premium Member
21,314 Posts
Are you wishing death on me?
Nope, just noticing a touch of hypocrisy. Everybody lamenting on the human race destructive influence, yet nobody in their right mind would want to see himself and/or his friends wiped off the face of the Earth. What would be so good about uninhabited Earth anyway? There are already gazillion uninhabited planets all over the universe. :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts