Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite amazing, when you think back to 4 or 5 years ago it looked like Argentina had the potential to dominate tennis for many years to come. Now, there isn't one in the top 10, I realised there are 12 in the top 100 but I don't feel any of them are close to winning any major event (with the possible exception of Canas). :shrug:

Coria, Gaudio and Nalbandian all look like they've had their time at the top, despite none of them being particularly old.

Then even on the slightly lower scale, players like Acasuso, Chela, Calleri, Zabaleta have hugely underachieved in my eyes.

I don't really know the point I'm trying to make, I just can't quite understand why. First one to suggest 'the juice' gets a cookie :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Chela deserves more credit, although I agree, he isnt close to winning a major tournament. Canas is the one flying the flag, and has shown with hard work, you can peak at any age.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Canas/Zabaleta/Chela havent done terriblaly, if you think about it.

Sure the top named ones are burning out quickly, but Canas returned, Chela has had a decent year and Zableta recracked the top 100 this year and is now in the 70's I believe.

But yes, they were once a powerhouse, now they are suddenly like the Americans (no knock on us)

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
nalbandian has done better than all of those you have mentioned.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Nably has the talent to win a slam, and do many great things in the sport, he just doesnt have the desire.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
2004/05 were the golden years for Argentine tennis, you have to understand it was a bit of a phenomenon for them to have so many good players being born in the late 1970s/early 1980s and almost peaking at the same time.

They probably won't remain a powerhouse like Spain or the USA but they will still have several players in the top 100 for many years to come - kinda like Germany and Czech Republic. Del Potro has the potential to be a top 10 (if not more), Monaco is still 23 with some room to improve, and Leonardo Mayer is also a regular top 100 prospect.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thats Right, Monaco already has two titles this year. More then all the other Argies.

He'll improve as you said.

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
Quite amazing, when you think back to 4 or 5 years ago it looked like Argentina had the potential to dominate tennis for many years to come. Now, there isn't one in the top 10, I realised there are 12 in the top 100 but I don't feel any of them are close to winning any major event (with the possible exception of Canas). :shrug:

Coria, Gaudio and Nalbandian all look like they've had their time at the top, despite none of them being particularly old.

Then even on the slightly lower scale, players like Acasuso, Chela, Calleri, Zabaleta have hugely underachieved in my eyes.

I don't really know the point I'm trying to make, I just can't quite understand why. First one to suggest 'the juice' gets a cookie :rolleyes:
To be honest I don't find it amazing, we don't have the resources that the French or Americans do to constantly churn out players. Many of these guys did it their own way and had/have to work very hard to make the most of their abilities.

We only ever had Nalbandian and Coria that seemingly had the potential to win a slam or were spoken of in such terms over a broad spectrum. So far neither have done so, although Nalbandian did make a slam final and Coria was a point away (twice).

Gaudio's success was unexpected (as far as winning a slam), and Puerta's run to the RG final even less so and we are all aware of the documentation of his career to date.

The "fall" if you want to call it that (I wouldn't, personally, because only Spain, Russia and France can claim to have a stronger set of players than we do even now) is only really at the feet of Coria and Nalbandian, because the others have done very well for themselves in relative terms. Nalbandian still could, Coria in realisitc terms looks finished, no one can say otherwise until he at least plays in an ATP tournament of any kind.

You say Chela for example is an underachiever, I'd say he is an overachiever. To be consistently top 30 or so-ish as he has been for a few years I think is a good return on his abilities.

The big sleight on this generation/cross generation of players is not having won the Davis Cup yet. We made the final last year (something that many seem to have forgotten) and came close to winning the tie in Russia against what I consider the best all around Davis Cup nation at present and for the past few years.

And now we also have Juan Martin del Potro (another who may have the potential to win a Slam in 2/3 years) who will prove to be a very good player, top 10 at the very least. Having 2/3/4 top 10 players as we did with Coria/Nalbandian/Gaudio/Canas is unique for a nation that doesn't have the resources of traditional tennis powers, so a "fall" is inevitable as no nation can keep that up consistently, there will always be highs and lows.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I mean, having 4 guys in the top 10 is amazing by any standerds taking into account how strong today's game is.

Losing to the eventual winner in davis cup in the 2005-06 peroid really isnt a disapointment when seeing how strong tennis was in Argentina.

You brought up an interesting point of when tennis was like back when Vilas and José Luis Clerc played, making tennis in Argentina a national deal. Having the success like that into today's generation is still good, considering the Americans havn't done anything since Pete/Andre retired. (Yes Roddick won a major and had 3 other finals, but thats it and thats not a knock on him, the overall preformance of the USA has been average to say the least.)
With a Coria/Gaudio French Open final, showed that Argentina still had some say in major success. and With Nalby winning the Masters a year later proved that.

So they had their time, it wasnt a waste, they were fighters on the clay and still are ( and try to be I hope), Another cycle of great players will emerge like the 80's and the 00's.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Nably has the talent to win a slam, and do many great things in the sport, he just doesnt have the desire.
Realize I am saying he has had a better career than the players you mentioned, and you dont know the difference between then and than :tape:

·
Banned
31,496 Posts

Canas is not winning a major tournament any time soon.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
True this a while ago, but Canas's win in Canada in 2002 beating all those top guys including Federer, is still something to talk about.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
The individuals with talent i.e gaudio, fat dave and coria lack the mental aspect and commitment to the game as its been well documented. The rest of the argies may have the commitment and heart i.e canas, chela but don't have games like the previous that can cause problems to the very top players on a consistent basis. Then you have the guys like acasuso & zabaleta that haven't achieved what they should of for a number of reasons. They lack a player who is a well-rounded individual, and that player will mostly probably be JMDP in about 5 years time, but saying that people said the same things about coria, fat dave,etc in respects to be upcoming talents, time will tell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts