Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first topic, i am sorry for my english and possible poor usage of forum.

I like to follow ATP and the atp challenger tour. My question is:

I started following Ernesto Escobedo back in 2016 watching the challenger tour. He had somewhat pleasing strokes, atleast for me, a decent serve followed by decent forehand, and the backhand was there, unlike for many americans.

In 2016 he beat Kudla and Tiafoe for his first 2 challenger titles. Both hardcourt outdoor.

I have followed him ever since, i try to watch most of his matches.

Now my question is, why isnt he winning anymore? Why does he get routined by players like Evgeny Karlovskiy? I cant name too many players in the current top #300 he could beat...

I am asking this because while i do love tennis, i am pretty stupid person and dont understand the sport that much. I think you guys analyze the sport very well and could have better explanation.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you Ernesto?
No, what made you ask that? The fact i said i liked his decent forehand?

Im asking what happened to him, he reached career best #67 but now hes being beaten by lesser players. I dont have eye for the sport, so i dont understand whats gone wrong. Hes still fighting and has good attitude, just cant get wins.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
I'm not sure I ever watched him play, but there should be people here who have watched enough to give an informed opinion.

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's a good question, but unfortunately, I doubt many people have seen Ernesto play enough to give you a comprehensive answer. If someone can I'd be interested to hear their response! It could be as simple as him peaking around age 19 while his peers continued to improve. He may be playing as well as he can now, but his level just is not high enough anymore to compete with pros in the top 100, let alone 200.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
I haven't watched him play in a while. @emotion or @CooCooCachoo @Chris Kuerten might know.

It is weird though how he went from promising to really struggling. But that does happen.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
only time i ever watched him was when he played Chung. Ended up being a rather one-sided victory for Chung but i remember thinking that Escobedo had decent strokes.

Tennis is pretty brutal though and it's happened to a lot of players. lose a bit of confidence and the difference from being in the top 100 and being out of the top 200 isn't much. I see that Escobedo reached the semi of the Monterrey Challenger in October, beating Granollers, and then had to withdraw due to injury. Of course, he may not have won the semi (against Ferrer), but it's a bit unlucky that he gets injured just when he's managed to string some good results together. Results have been pretty poor since then.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first topic, i am sorry for my english and possible poor usage of forum.

I like to follow ATP and the atp challenger tour. My question is:

I started following Ernesto Escobedo back in 2016 watching the challenger tour. He had somewhat pleasing strokes, atleast for me, a decent serve followed by decent forehand, and the backhand was there, unlike for many americans.

In 2016 he beat Kudla and Tiafoe for his first 2 challenger titles. Both hardcourt outdoor.

I have followed him ever since, i try to watch most of his matches.

Now my question is, why isnt he winning anymore? Why does he get routined by players like Evgeny Karlovskiy? I cant name too many players in the current top #300 he could beat...

I am asking this because while i do love tennis, i am pretty stupid person and dont understand the sport that much. I think you guys analyze the sport very well and could have better explanation.
The last paragraph must go down in MTF folklore. Someone frame it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last paragraph must go down in MTF folklore. Someone frame it.
Well i know this site has tons of users that only follow the sport by checking the results on flashscore/livescore and are somewhat clueless, but with nearly 65k users here im sure some of them understand something about the sport :smile2:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I saw him play quite a bit during 2016 and 2017 on the Challenger circuit and he definitely has some potential.

But, like many Challenger players who have some good strokes but not the well-rounded game to make it at the highest level, he had a few good tournaments where his confidence was up and he was playing good tennis, before going back to his normal level.

He is still 22 years old, so he has lots of time to progress. He seems like a good guy with a nice story, grew up the son of Mexican immigrants with little funds, playing on public courts in LA.

He beat Sock (during his slump), Medvedev and Tiafoe, so he has the potential. Probably needs to regain his confidence and some form, perhaps with a new coach. Decent size, good forehands and an average serve, but I think he needs to work on his movement and fundamentals if he really wants to become regular Top 100 player. One of the downfalls of being coached by your parents rather than being able to attend an expensive tennis school when you are young.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What an interesting first post. Any particular reason why you are so interested in his career ?

I went online to see what matches i could see of him as i hadnt heard of him before and couldnt see much. (how do you get to watch challengers, do you do that via a betting sites free streams ?). Hard to make much of an assessment based on highlights but I have doubts about that 2nd serve of his as well as his return of serve.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all for posting. :smile2:

Tennis is pretty brutal though and it's happened to a lot of players. lose a bit of confidence and the difference from being in the top 100 and being out of the top 200 isn't much.
that is very true! the more i watch the more i agree. I used to think ages ago that the difference would be very huge but that imagination probably came from watching the very top players who are very much above others.

What an interesting first post. Any particular reason why you are so interested in his career ?

I went online to see what matches i could see of him as i hadnt heard of him before and couldnt see much. (how do you get to watch challengers, do you do that via a betting sites free streams ?). Hard to make much of an assessment based on highlights but I have doubts about that 2nd serve of his as well as his return of serve.
Not any reason really, I guess i liked his game (again - im not Ernesto :smile2:) - really follow some very random players. One thing i want from the players i follow that they have good attitude. Hate nothing like someone showing up for match and not even trying.

I watch the matches usually from https://livestream.com/ATP - can also watch them after the event and those stay there for ages. Like by using the 'SEARCH' thing you can find old Escobedos (or others) matches. If the site is illegal (it shouldnt be) then please delete the link!

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Haven't watched him enough nor followed him closely enough to judge what is wrong with him, but gamewise I think he was allright. Groundstrokes were fine, top 50 level at least, serve was shit though IIRC.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I watch the matches usually from https://livestream.com/ATP - can also watch them after the event and those stay there for ages. Like by using the 'SEARCH' thing you can find old Escobedos (or others) matches. If the site is illegal (it shouldnt be) then please delete the link!
I had no idea about this site, thanks. Haven't typically watched challengers (watch a lot of ATP and in between tournaments I take a break) but very helpful to know. Just watched a match of Escobedos on it, he was serving for the first set and served two double faults, his only doubles for the set. That might point to some mental weakness but unfair to make a call on that with such a small amount of evidence but his second serve as i thought isnt good enough. Your first serve is only as good as your second and he is always going to be vulnerable to being broken. If you're often under pressure on your serve you need to nail everything with with your groundstrokes which is not easy to do match after match.

He's not tall but not short either (6'1"). Maybe he should take some time out from hoofing his way around the world playing challengers and work on getting some more grunt on that serve. his forehand is good and he can whack that backhand but its a lot easier to go for the lines if youre getting free points on your serve and holding easily.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yes, that's a great legal livestream spot. I've watched Ernesto a lot, enjoy the way he hits every single ball so damn hard. I've watched him in person every year he's come to the Cary Challenger. I'd say he consistently hits his groundstrokes harder than anyone else I've seen there. Not a lot of variety to his game, just bashes everything, so that limits his success a bit. Also I think, as people have pointed out, injuries and confidence loss has led to his fall, and his serve is just average to a bit below average. He's got time and based on his background it sounds like he's got motivation. So I think he'll get back pushing towards the top 100

1 - 20 of 39 Posts