Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Tennis is done. Has been for quite a sometime. After you have seen Federer, djokovic, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi there is nowhere to go but down. They’ll be losing viewers, fans by the buttload in 4-5 years. The sport may not even survive truthfully. Djoker will be the last to retire but when he’s done I project a 2002 like era but for years. Various mediocre talents winning big titles

it was pretty obvious early on when the big 3 were reaching their early-mid 30s and still winning slams so easy. You can’t have a new era if the new era can’t even beat the old one at any point LOL

hell same thing has happened to the NBA. That’s lost most of its popularity too why? We have already seen the best. Hell I already got to see Jordan LOL. How the hell are you gonna get better than him? You can’t
You are right. After Jordan I lost any interest in basketball. Without new players at the level of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal tennis must die. I cant see any. Hurkacz ? Tsitsipas ? Shapovalov ? Rublev ? Medvedev ? Sinner ? NO. Maybe Thiem. He is the only one who during last years sometimes reached that level. But he has to prove it. The second problem is the advantage the tall players have in modern tennis. If they dont equalize the chances for tall and short players it will be the sport for giants.It is already .The clay is the only surface where we have everything in right proportions. It is not enough to win on clay if you have only one weapon.
In video below you can see that my opponent has great forehand but I have better backhand and move fast so I can neutralize his advantage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I personally think the situation has been improving in the past few years. The state of tennis was pretty bad during the years when most of GoldenGen declined, LostGen should have shown up but never did, and Fedalovic, even past their prime, could easily mop up almost everything. With NextGen now it is much more interesting again.
Hurkacz in Miami beat almost all players who were candidates for new grand slam champions. Do we believe that Hurkacz will be next Nadal, Djokovic or Federer ? I am a Pole but I dont think so. Almost all great players beat old champions at the beginning of their career so none of young players now meets this condition.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hurkacz in Miami beat almost all players who were candidates for new grand slam champions. Do we believe that Hurkacz will be next Nadal, Djokovic or Federer ? I am a Pole but I dont think so. Almost all great players beat old champions at the beginning of their career so none of young players now meets this condition.
Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev all have some wins against old champions already, no? But it is normal that younger players are less consistent, and you should not measure the new generation at the absolutely abnormal level and consistency of Fedalovic. Hurkacz had a great run here, but I agree it is unlikely he will be the future big champion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev all have some wins against old champions already, no? But it is normal that younger players are less consistent, and you should not measure the new generation at the absolutely abnormal level and consistency of Fedalovic. Hurkacz had a great run here, but I agree it is unlikely he will be the future big champion.
Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, Becker, Agassi, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Hingis, Graf, Seles, Serena Williams. Great champions. They didnt have to wait for old champions to retire. They just beat them at the beginning of their careers. None of the young players now can do it even though never champions were so old as it is today. It only proves that we have a great crisis in men`s tennis. Probably 5-6 years of boring finals betwen Rublev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Thiem.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, Becker, Agassi, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Hingis, Graf, Seles, Serena Williams. Great champions. They didnt have to wait for old champions to retire. They just beat them at the beginning of their careers. None of the young players now can do it even though never champions were so old as it is today. It only proves that we have a great crisis in men`s tennis. Probably 5-6 years of boring finals betwen Rublev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Thiem.
I have to agree unfortunately. Although the Big 3 are in a league of their own, they would be easily beaten by younger versions of themselves. And yet Next Gen cannot stop them winning Slams. So in addition to their greatness, they also got lucky in padding their Slam totals.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
I have to agree unfortunately. Although the Big 3 are in a league of their own, they would be easily beaten by younger versions of themselves. And yet Next Gen cannot stop them winning Slams. So in addition to their greatness, they also got lucky in padding their Slam totals.
I dont understand why after 10 years during which none of young players could win a grand slam there are so many believers in so called modern technique. It is obvious that some elements of this technique are just great errors. This technique allows to reach only average level. Dymitrov, Monfils, Thiem, Goffin, Zverev, ...and others couldnt play like Nadal, Djokovic or Federer because they were limited by modern technique based on accelerating the head of the racket to great speed. Errors are just part of this technique.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
not yet the big 3 are still here so long as they are playing tennis is fine. its never going to be as big like world football but still really good
Those big 3 would have been massacred by their younger self. But even their lower level is enough to beat young players in grand slams.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I largely disagree. None of the previous champions maintained such a high level as Fedalovic up into their mid thirties. As I said, these three are exceptions, and you should not measure the new generation at their quality. If you do not consider them and look at the ranking, what do the top 10 look like? 1. Medvedev, 2. Thiem, 3. Tsitsipas, 4. Zverev, 5. Rublev 6. Schwartzman, 7. Berrettini, 8. Bautista Agut, 9. Shapovalov, 10. Monfils. NextGen is dominating, and this despite the Covid ranking being against them. They also won something like 80% of the tournaments that were not won by Djokovic or Nadal in the past two years. Ok, one part of it is also that LostGen is exceptionally weak, maybe the weakest in tennis history, but I honestly believe NextGen is doing quite well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I largely disagree. None of the previous champions maintained such a high level as Fedalovic up into their mid thirties. As I said, these three are exceptions, and you should not measure the new generation at their quality. If you do not consider them and look at the ranking, what do the top 10 look like? 1. Medvedev, 2. Thiem, 3. Tsitsipas, 4. Zverev, 5. Rublev 6. Schwartzman, 7. Berrettini, 8. Bautista Agut, 9. Shapovalov, 10. Monfils. NextGen is dominating, and this despite the Covid ranking being against them. They also won something like 80% of the tournaments that were not won by Djokovic or Nadal in the past two years. Ok, one part of it is also that LostGen is exceptionally weak, maybe the weakest in tennis history, but I honestly believe NextGen is doing quite well.
After final of Australian Open between Djokovic and Medvedev I lost hope. Before that final Medvedev won almost everything. He was crushed by Djokovic. Old Djokovic.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You want to kill tennis. Faster grass would mean tennis without forehand and backhand. Carpet is even worse. I play on carpet half of the year(you can see in video above). Strong players have a great advantage on carpet. Tournaments on carpet were so boring that we cant see them now. Change of the surface for championships at the end of the season could be interesting. To prevent players participating in too many tournaments it would be enough to change the rules how ranking is counted. It should depend more on position of the players who you beat in the ranking as it is in chess.
Dude, men's tennis is dying right before your eyes. Miami was a preview of the future and it was boring beyond measure, especially the final! You can't force the next gen players to be more interesting, but you can change the surfaces and vary the court speed to force different playing styles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Dude, men's tennis is dying right before your eyes. Miami was a preview of the future and it was boring beyond measure, especially the final! You can't force the next gen players to be more interesting, but you can change the surfaces and vary the court speed to force different playing styles.
Who after Djokovic, Nadal and Federer ? Tsitsipas, Rublev, Hurkacz, Sinner, Medvedev, Thiem, Zverev ? They won only one grand slam(Thiem) and only because Djokovic was disqualified. At least we have to wait 5-6 years for a tennis player who will be able play at the level of Djokovic or Nadal. 5-6 years it is enough time for tennis to die particularly that ATP is not interested in changes of rules which could change festival of serves to real tennis.

·
Registered
940 Posts
tennis needs to back to its natural roots...wooden racquets with natural strings. Period.
Because the sport lost its natural flair and is very manufactured now. Current game is the result of evolution of equipment technology.
Current game is about hitting hard, running fast and based mostly on physicality.
Tennis lost its charm and is no longer an art. That's why it's becoming a marginal sport. Especially men's tennis. Women's is doing better because of the equal sexes ideology behind it (it's one of the main products of it) and current audience of wankers, who do not believe in God and only want to consume.
That's why we have clown like Dull sitting at 20 Slams and ruining the sport.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, we can say that the success Djokovic has gained in his career has made the various coaches of the world try to make their players emulate that style of play, and sadly, more than 90 percent of them are faulty copies of the Serbian.
🤮

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well, we can say that the success Djokovic has gained in his career has made the various coaches of the world try to make their players emulate that style of play and sadly more than 90 percent of them are faulty copies of Serbian.
🤮
They try to beat Djokovic using the same technique. I remember a match in Australian Open between Djokovic and Chung Hyeon in 2018. It looked as if Djokovic played against Djokovic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
tennis needs to back to its natural roots...wooden racquets with natural strings. Period.
Because the sport lost its natural flair and is very manufactured now. Current game is the result of evolution of equipment technology.
Current game is about hitting hard, running fast and based mostly on physicality.
Tennis lost its charm and is no longer an art. That's why it's becoming a marginal sport. Especially men's tennis. Women's is doing better because of the equal sexes ideology behind it (it's one of the main products of it) and current audience of wankers, who do not believe in God and only want to consume.
That's why we have clown like Dull sitting at 20 Slams and ruining the sport.
If we have next finals between Sinner and Hurkacz the death of men`s tennis is inevitable. Only Thiem on clay sometimes reaches the level of great champions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
During last 15 years we had at least 5 great stars in tennis(Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Wawrinka, Murray) For most people only matches between them were interesting. It cant be replaced by matches between Sinner or Hurkacz, Medvedev and Tsitsipas, Rublev and Thiem. We cant see any young player who in short time could reach level of great champions. It means that we can expect at least 5 years of boring tennis. It would mean death of tennis.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I would go one step further & say the distractions created by addictive social media might b the underlying cause of any 'death of tennis'.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I would go one step further & say the distractions created by addictive social media might b the underlying cause of any 'death of tennis'.
Even without these distractions tennis may lose most of its fans. The best younger players who can replace great champions (Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Rublev, Thiem, Zverev) cant change anything in their technique. They are complete players. They have no reserves. They cant move faster and hit the ball with greater speed. Their technique limits their chances.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Results in Monte Carlo proved that men`s tennis is dying. Hurkacz lost in a compromising style. Sinner was crushed by old Djokovic, Sonego was massacred by Zverev. Rublev and Tsitsipas are the last from younger players who could replace Djokovic, Nadal and Federer who are still in the draw and only because they played against weak players. In this boring tournament we all are waiting for the final between Nadal and Djokovic. We all see that so called modern technique produces only average players.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Even without these distractions tennis may lose most of its fans. The best younger players who can replace great champions (Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Rublev, Thiem, Zverev) cant change anything in their technique. They are complete players. They have no reserves. They cant move faster and hit the ball with greater speed. Their technique limits their chances.
They may b set in certain styles but they could still increase their fitness & stamina levels if they were genuinely dedicated. Unlike when big 3/4 were coming up, there r more distractions (not to mention the surreal pandemic), making it trickier to train as freely as u want unless wealthy enough to have or lease? your own practice courts & fitness facilities.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts