Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There is some hope for you. If nothing changes in professional tennis you still will be able to watch my matches. It will be the only chance to see forehands and backhands.
Love it ! Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed your play and level of skill. It honestly was great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Love it ! Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed your play and level of skill. It honestly was great.
20 years ago I injured my right wrist and was forced to play two handed forehand. I am a weak person and because of two handed forehand my reach is shortened but during last 5 years two times I was runner-up in Polish Championships in my age category. You cant be surprised that I dont like professional tennis we see today because for me tennis means forehand, backhand, spin, angles and dropshots.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
There is some hope for you. If nothing changes in professional tennis you still will be able to watch my matches. It will be the only chance to see forehands and backhands.
I completely disagree with your opening point, but you're playing some great tennis!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I completely disagree with your opening point, but you're playing some great tennis!
Thanks. I am going to record lesson of two handed forehand and publish it on youtube. Many amateur players are not strong enough to control one handed forehand so if they move fast two handed forehand may give them chance to play much better. It helped me so it may help others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Getting rid of the 2nd serve would be a disaster for most recreational players. Way too many faults and points decided without the receiver having to return the serve. In pro tennis it will be just as hard to hold your serve as it is to break now.

·
justice for all
17,627 Posts
And their strokes look nothing like Nadal.
Its a lot more than just the direction of the raquet.
I mean I've seen Federer do the lasso forehand too, and it doesn't look anything like Nadal :ROFLMAO::poop:
Even Nadal's backhand is one-of-a-kind, because he's using the right-hand to generate power with a left-handed grip.
And his service motion looks completely unique.
Rafa is love, Rafa is life.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is MENStennisforum, but I have to say something about WTA... Men's tennis is perfectly balanced today, that's my opinion. But women's tennis is heavily handicapped by court homogenization. Men and women shouldn't play on the same courts. While men's tennis become something really disgusting (ace, ace, service winner, ace), in the same time women's competition and game overall was really rich and beautiful. Fast and strong. Just watch Monica Seles vs Jennifer Capriati 1991 USO clash, and try to remember when did you see something like that last time. They slowed down the courts so men couldn't penetrate through the court easily, but thanks to that women now look so weak and pathetic.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Some necessary alterations:

• Reintroduce rebound ace at the AO venue (surprise finalists made it fun to watch)
  • Make Wimby fast again
  • Bring back carpet (the nostalgia could go a long way)
  • Change the surface for the year-end championship (one year grass, one year hard, one year clay)
  • Shorten the tennis season as to reduce injuries

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Getting rid of the 2nd serve would be a disaster for most recreational players. Way too many faults and points decided without the receiver having to return the serve. In pro tennis it will be just as hard to hold your serve as it is to break now.
In men`s tennis very often after one break of serve player doesnt even try to break once more and is waiting for his own serve. With only one serve we could see balance between defence and attack. Really we dont know what would be a result of such change but it should be tested. It would be enough to organize one or two tournaments with changed rules.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts

• Reintroduce rebound ace at the AO venue (surprise finalists made it fun to watch)
  • Make Wimby fast again
  • Change the surface for the year-end championship (one year grass, one year hard, one year clay)
Indoor hard doesn't have a slam, for that reason alone YEC needs to remain on indoor hard.

Quicker surfaces wouldn't change anything on how the game is being played nowadays. The damage has been done already with racquet/string technology.. and tennis schools.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·

• Make Wimby fast again
You want to kill tennis. Faster grass would mean tennis without forehand and backhand. Carpet is even worse. I play on carpet half of the year(you can see in video above). Strong players have a great advantage on carpet. Tournaments on carpet were so boring that we cant see them now. Change of the surface for championships at the end of the season could be interesting. To prevent players participating in too many tournaments it would be enough to change the rules how ranking is counted. It should depend more on position of the players who you beat in the ranking as it is in chess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
This is MENStennisforum, but I have to say something about WTA... Men's tennis is perfectly balanced today, that's my opinion. But women's tennis is heavily handicapped by court homogenization. Men and women shouldn't play on the same courts. While men's tennis become something really disgusting (ace, ace, service winner, ace), in the same time women's competition and game overall was really rich and beautiful. Fast and strong. Just watch Monica Seles vs Jennifer Capriati 1991 USO clash, and try to remember when did you see something like that last time. They slowed down the courts so men couldn't penetrate through the court easily, but thanks to that women now look so weak and pathetic.
Maybe you have a link to better video of this match between Seles and Capriati. Quality of the one I found on youtube is not too good. Boring matches both in women`s and men`s tennis are caused not only by better rackets, balls and strings. I cant understand why you all cant see it. We have a lost generation of players in last decade because of modern technique. It is not normal that 40 years old Serena Williams can beat anybody and 40 years old Federer, 35 years old Nadal and 34 years old Djokovic are still almost unbeatable by younger players in grand slams. They move slower and hit less winners than 10 years ago but they still have a great control over the ball. So called modern technique is based on accelerating the head of the racket to great speed (forehand). The result of greater speed of the racket is losing control. Only at the highest level(Nadal, Federer, Diokovic) it works well. Younger players hit the ball with great force but usually cant generate great angles because they have problems to control direction. We saw that yesterday in the final between Hurkacz and Sinner. In many rallies both players didnt even have to move because the ball was directed straight to their body. Half of this match we saw such boring rallies as if it was a warm-up.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Tennis is done. Has been for quite a sometime. After you have seen Federer, djokovic, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi there is nowhere to go but down. They’ll be losing viewers, fans by the buttload in 4-5 years. The sport may not even survive truthfully. Djoker will be the last to retire but when he’s done I project a 2002 like era but for years. Various mediocre talents winning big titles

it was pretty obvious early on when the big 3 were reaching their early-mid 30s and still winning slams so easy. You can’t have a new era if the new era can’t even beat the old one at any point LOL

hell same thing has happened to the NBA. That’s lost most of its popularity too why? We have already seen the best. Hell I already got to see Jordan LOL. How the hell are you gonna get better than him? You can’t

·
Registered
540 Posts
not yet the big 3 are still here so long as they are playing tennis is fine. its never going to be as big like world football but still really good

·
Registered
582 Posts
In men`s tennis very often after one break of serve player doesnt even try to break once more and is waiting for his own serve. With only one serve we could see balance between defence and attack. Really we dont know what would be a result of such change but it should be tested. It would be enough to organize one or two tournaments with changed rules.
Yes. They could try out the change in next gen year end finals.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
We'll finally come to have an unexpected rebuttal to

ATP will end up like WTA
"The ATP wishes"

not yet the big 3 are still here so long as they are playing tennis is fine.
That's like the junkie thinking , "calm down, I still have some left, no prob..."

The ATP "The big 3 Junkie", hahaha

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Tennis is done. Has been for quite a sometime. After you have seen Federer, djokovic, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi there is nowhere to go but down. They’ll be losing viewers, fans by the buttload in 4-5 years. The sport may not even survive truthfully. Djoker will be the last to retire but when he’s done I project a 2002 like era but for years. Various mediocre talents winning big titles

it was pretty obvious early on when the big 3 were reaching their early-mid 30s and still winning slams so easy. You can’t have a new era if the new era can’t even beat the old one at any point LOL

hell same thing has happened to the NBA. That’s lost most of its popularity too why? We have already seen the best. Hell I already got to see Jordan LOL. How the hell are you gonna get better than him? You can’t
Ironically around 2002 is probably when tennis had the highest level of mongrel in the history of the sport.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I personally think the situation has been improving in the past few years. The state of tennis was pretty bad during the years when most of GoldenGen declined, LostGen should have shown up but never did, and Fedalovic, even past their prime, could easily mop up almost everything. With NextGen now it is much more interesting again.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The one thing that does amaze me is the dimensions of the court are exactly the same as they were in 1877. Maybe make it longer, or the service box narrower, or the net higher... all things that could balance out the increased speed and power of the players and equipment.
I always thought the same about basketball, as todays players are much bigger than players 20 or more years ago, while the court and basket height are the same as many years ago.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts