Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t see a general thread on the effects of covid-19 so I thought this thread could be useful for consolidating ideas about the virus, especially concerning its legacy effects on Federer/Djokovic/Nadal.

From a legacy perspective, I’ll state the obvious, which is that Federer will likely benefit the most, since he’s not in contention during the putative period where the virus is relevant.

Secondarily I think both Nadal and Djokovic have a similar amount to lose. Djokovic has been on a run and he has a lot of momentum, so that getting stunted could throw him off. On the other hand, if the clay season gets ruined, and especially the FO, that throws off Nadal.

thoughts?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I think its too early to tell , but lets play . Without the SD and some clay masters (rome surely , madrid likely, montecarlo doubtfully)all will be fresh for RG IF it happens . Nadal would be Heavily favored here , totally injure free .

OTOH , Fed is the favored for the possible lack of play of the rest , coming back from injury at Wimby which is highly positive to take place regardless of the world setting on fire.(I really like the English attittude haha)

Novak is the least favored by all this but still undefeated going into RG would be a mental edge and then to Wimby motivated by the only 2CGS would put a first strike to Fed and in good standing to take it ALL this year.

Masters have been a " pitfall " for these 3 sometimes going into a Slam healthy so maybe this time we can have finally a great encounter for history at the USO after "sucking" in this sense for so many years.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Lack of play hurts the big 3 in this order: Nadal , Djokovic, Federer. RAFA needs plenty of successful match activity to be at his best, physically and mentally, especially for Roland Garros, probably 18 matches on clay at the least these days.. No1e can probably do with 8-10 matches on the dirt. Federer prior to Wimbledon might need 3-4 matches on grass.

But all is relative. If all the players in the field are suffering from lack of top level match play, then the top players probably don't need to reach their ideal level and can make do with fewer matches than listed above. In any case, lack of play for the field generally favors upsets.

Their legacy is already assured. They can only add to it.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Djokovic will suffer the most. He likes momentum. Nadal has played a lot recently so this break prolongs his career.

I am disgusted by the overreaction to what is a bit of flu, but there is no doubt Nadal is the biggest beneficiary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts