Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear readers,

One might say that the Holy Trinity of Tennis have been blessed. This enforced rest for perhaps 6-9 months could extend their careers at the top for 5-10 years and destroy the dreams of many younger players to replace them.

1. Imagine Rog with fully healed knees, back, groin, feet, ruthless arrogance, and so on. Imagine him loose and free, reversing time's decay, rejuvenated, and able to once again hit flying liquid whip forehands with dominating consequences.

2. Imagine RAFA with a practically fully regenerated body, muscles contracting and expanding, glistening in healthy sweat of pain free topspin assaults on defenseless tennis balls and fearful opponents, then screaming "VAMOS!".

3. Imagine No1e without elbow pain, shoulder pain, etc. His mind will be without stress, fully in tune with every fiber of his being, his soul, all flowing in deep harmony and purpose, on the brink of defeat, refusing to lose, then exploding in victory.

Now the only question will be the motivation of these all time terrors of the tennis court to continue playing tennis.

What if RAFA has a baby during this hiatus? He has always said he will stop playing once he had a family. Once he is bouncing baby Rafas on his knees, might he choose to settle down at the Nadal Academy on his island?

No1e will have never had this much time completely off and pain free. He will be forced to spend a lot of time with his wife and family. It could change him. Even some additional new spiritual meaning in his life might be revealed. With his popularity never higher, he might even receive a host of political offers.

Now what about Roger? Is there any truth that Roger foresaw the crisis and had this planned to a T? He has already experienced the freedom of a 6 month enforced rest, rehab, long training block and return. He already knows what is like to be wth his family all the time. He may dedicate his life much more to humanitarian endeavors around the world. But will he remain dedicated to tennis? Will this tip the balance in his life?

We can all speculate how the layoff caused by coronavirus might affect these Greats of Tennis.

The floor is yours. Take care.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Your visions will happen
46,921 Posts
Could be an extinction event for sure like the 2 Wars or the advent of the Professional era, 1927, and the Open Era, 1968

We will have to wait and see, we do not know if they can return this season, we do not know the form when they do return, there are many questions.

I think your theory of them being rest and able to really push the last few years of their careers is valid, as is the theory that they become softer after this rest and never quite reach the heights from before

Nobody knows

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Interesting points by the OP (even if trolling level is 98%). One thing is certain: if the virus hits slams it will reduce number of Djokodal chances to catch Federer's slam record. Same goes for weeks at #1 record. It's pretty clear who can potentially benefit and who can lose when it comes to historic records perspective.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know I should be discussing this thread topic here, but all I could think of was how much time did you spend on this whole essay and gifs....

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I should be discussing this thread topic here, but all I could think of was how much time did you spend on this whole essay and gifs....
The essay came rather easily, the gifs a bit more difficult and longer to obtain, but it took more time to get the thread approved than it did to create it. ;)

Regards,
masterclass

·
Registered
980 Posts
The question is:

Of the NextGen, is there one steely-eyed young Turk who spends the entire break hitting forehands and backhands and studying videotapes.

If there is, he may march right to the top. I know who my money's on.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
It has taken a virus to stop these three. I suspect the time lost will not work to their advantage. You can't get that top form straight away. They might need a few months to find their feet. This might be the beginning of the end for the big 3. A new era is upon us.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
As fas we know , I already said this ,

1)they know how to make a comeback , they have made it a thousand times before

2)There are THREE of them , they know how to push each other to make that comeback easier, faster.

3 ) The hunger for more: history and records

4) the knowing of pushing the limits of time and the boundaries of the physical human body

5) defying the younger gens , they know they are not as good as them , they smell blood , they must feel like those full adult lions kings, beating up yonger ones, eating others cubs.

6) Military or shall I say , old school Rocky Balboa mentality . No social media twitter , of having good / bad hair days, Playstation , millenial BS. Where The young lose focus easily, the Big 3 : noone touches my family food !

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
What if RAFA has a baby during this hiatus? He has always said he will stop playing once he had a family. Once he is bouncing baby Rafas on his knees, might he choose to settle down at the Nadal Academy on his island?

No1e will have never had this much time completely off and pain free. He will be forced to spend a lot of time with his wife and family. It could change him. Even some additional new spiritual meaning in his life might be revealed. With his popularity never higher, he might even receive a host of political offers.

Now what about Roger? Is there any truth that Roger foresaw the crisis and had this planned to a T? He has already experienced the freedom of a 6 month enforced rest, rehab, long training block and return. He already knows what is like to be wth his family all the time. He may dedicate his life much more to humanitarian endeavors around the world. But will he remain dedicated to tennis? Will this tip the balance in his life?
Oh and this part, masterclass, I wanted to reflect on , add and not be taken the wrong way. We must all know by now that spending THIS much time with just family maybe tiresome (3 completely quarentined days ! myself) . I can easily imagine divorces skyrocketting after all this is over.

For these 3 , too , I can imagine them as happy as ever as an unleashed dog freed from captivity once this mess is finalized . So that could be another positive for the big 3 heading into tennis resuming.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I admire people still posting. I made the mistake of reading about the black plague in the 1300s. Started in china and hit Europe first in Italy. Over 7 years, 200 million dead.

Tennis now seems so insignificant.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It has taken a virus to stop these three. I suspect the time lost will not work to their advantage. You can't get that top form straight away. They might need a few months to find their feet. This might be the beginning of the end for the big 3. A new era is upon us.
It is the end for all of us full stop. This is the 4th plague. Read about the black plague and pneumonic plague on Wiki. Identical how they started.

·
10,119 Posts
Masterclass is posting endless loops. It's a miracle of mankind.

Thank you for your effort and once you loop once, you don't go back :unsure:

Federer making a comeback would be pretty amazing, but let's be real here, the odds aren't too likely.

Novak will be Novak. Nadal has done a comeback many times over, although he plays his best when he plays tennis , as stupid as that sounds. He needs to warm up with many matches before jumping into the fray.

·
10,119 Posts
It is the end for all of us full stop. This is the 4th plague. Read about the black plague and pneumonic plague on Wiki. Identical how they started.
The good news for us is that we know the plague isn't from demons and that garlic is not the cure. Modern science has done marvels in the past and present and we will put it to the limits now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The good news for us is that we know the plague isn't from demons and that garlic is not the cure. Modern science has done marvels in the past and present and we will put it to the limits now.
If this all ends I shall buy you a crate of champagne. Scientists and Doctors and Nurses are the real GOATS

·
10,119 Posts

The floor is yours. Take care.

Respectfully,
masterclass
WE GONNA SEE WHAT'S GOING ON.

THIS IS THE WAY

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Well, in a way we are all "bugs" in the universe awaiting death, distracting /deceiving ourselves the best way possible in the process to die. But let's not think about that, its fruitless, and make no mistake to underestimate human capacity to face adversity, reinvent themselves , in this our sport by choice , the big 3 proved how it's done. And so there are countless examples in history and today's society , in which that capacity is true .

History 's been terrible yet , we are here still , interconnected, aren't we ? Quarantined and all

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, in a way we are all "bugs" in the universe awaiting death, distracting /deceiving ourselves the best way possible in the process to die. But let's not think about that, its fruitless, and make no mistake to underestimate human capacity to face adversity, reinvent themselves , in this our sport by choice , the big 3 proved how it's done.
I should not have gone on Wikipedia re the black plague.

In fact, please nobody else do that.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I had edited my post, added a few things

I should not have gone on Wikipedia re the black plague.

In fact, please nobody else do that.
Since you brought the plague The Black Death of 14th century, Read about one important outcome of that plague in England "The Peasants Revolt"

Wiki link : Peasants' Revolt - Wikipedia

It serves accurately to what I was saying

1 - 20 of 44 Posts