·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
The reader responses are pretty funny:

"Djokovic is a new face to tennis making the game more appealing to a lot of people, he's the new McEnro. Roddick is just jealous at the fact Djokovic is getting all this attention and especially since hes from Serbia tiny country and a country like USA has no players or players with a personality."
Posted by: John Eriksonn, brisbane

I guess readers like John Eriksonn reflect the level of journalism these days.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
:yawn: They really shouldn't take things so seriously.. A sign that some of the top players are living in a bubble, does Novak doing a few impressions really matter that much? Probably not..

Although to me it sounds like Andy is more pissed about Novak taking too much time ball bouncing as opposed to the impressions..
Funny nonetheless.. :lol: [Tennis has missed bitter rivalries.. One between two of the top current players would be great.. :p ]

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
The reader responses are pretty funny:

"Djokovic is a new face to tennis making the game more appealing to a lot of people, he's the new McEnro. Roddick is just jealous at the fact Djokovic is getting all this attention and especially since hes from Serbia tiny country and a country like USA has no players or players with a personality."
Posted by: John Eriksonn, brisbane

I guess readers like John Eriksonn reflect the level of journalism these days.
John Eriksonn??? That's Ezekiel spewing his World Against Serbia spiel!!!! :lol:

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
oh come on. people have to have thicker skin than that.

Roddick was criticizing Novak because of the ball bounces, and there was definitely some hostility in the way he was talking to Nole.

I'm not sure Novak's impressions are the same as criticism, or have hostility in them.

So I didn't like what Roddick did.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't know if Andy was really complaining about the impressions there though. It seemed to be more about the ball bouncing. I do think Djokovic is getting under a few players skins. The impressions are the tip of the iceberg though. It's his improvements and results this year that'll probably be annoying Roddick and the other 4-10 ranked players more I think ;)

The impressions have passed their sell by date though a bit. I didn't realise he was asked to do them all in front of the crowd after a match at the US Open. That was kind of the jump the shark moment.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
The article is misleading of course:

"Djokovic's impersonations of other players are becoming legendary…but sadly, not everybody’s laughing. Is this just some good natured fun? Does Andy Roddick have a point or is he just spitting chips about being outranked by a 20-year-old?"

They're implying that Roddick is not amused by Novak's impersonations but the video they posted completely contradicts that and doesn't even show Andy talking about the impersionations at all, he was talking about Novak's ball bouncing. In the video Andy jokes to Novak, "I could make 8 phone calls to order a pizza and you'd still be serving..." or something like that.

Well at least these two readers caught on to it:

This is simply lazy journalism - creating an easy story by manipulating events. I'm in Shanghai at the moment and Roddick and Djokovic have been out practicing together and perfecting their impressions. Many of Roddick's are the older players - McEnroe, Becker etc - who Djokovic says he wants to add to his list. --Posted by: debbie marchant, london

Nice way to grab a headline, but Roddick is CLEARLY joking around and having fun with Nole in that clip. You'll have to find a better soap opera than that one. --Posted by: Diane Lewis, California​

I'm still waiting for the video of Andy's impersonation of Nole to hit YouTube. :angel:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
It still suprises me that people can watch that video and think that Andy and Nole are serious. Andy is LAUGHING the whole time he's talking. 'I can make 8 phone calls and order a pizza before you serve'. Yeah, that sounds pissed off.

Andy isn't some rookie who's going to get in Nole's face in front of a room full of journalists and cameras. Most of us have seen Andy angry and annoyed in press conferences (see Wimbledon), or seen him being funny, dropping quips and silly comments (see Wimbledon). If he had been annoyed by the question, he would have dropped his voice and answered the question, not yelled across the room in Djokovic's direction.

If those two are practicing together in Shanghai, doing all these impersonations, someone will get it on camera, Andy will do Nole, and they will both laugh about it.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Watching the video it is obvious they are just kidding around. Roddick didn't even talk about the impersonations at all.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
It still suprises me that people can watch that video and think that Andy and Nole are serious. Andy is LAUGHING the whole time he's talking. 'I can make 8 phone calls and order a pizza before you serve'. Yeah, that sounds pissed off.

Andy isn't some rookie who's going to get in Nole's face in front of a room full of journalists and cameras. Most of us have seen Andy angry and annoyed in press conferences (see Wimbledon), or seen him being funny, dropping quips and silly comments (see Wimbledon). If he had been annoyed by the question, he would have dropped his voice and answered the question, not yelled across the room in Djokovic's direction.

If those two are practicing together in Shanghai, doing all these impersonations, someone will get it on camera, Andy will do Nole, and they will both laugh about it.
Slash alert!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Talk about trying to create unneccesary drama. Andy doesn't seem at all upset.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

:worship: seriously.

watch the video again, it was so subtle:rolleyes::lol:

Maybe players should never speak to one another since people cannot resist the urge to play up non existent drama.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Reactions: Fee

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Andy didn't even talk about the impressions in fact he does them as well.. he was *pissed* about the ball bouncing.. well I guess most of the players does something annoying.. I don't like seeing nadal picking his has, or the way agassi walked as he was wearing diapers, or how roddick constantly touches his T-shirt.. whatever, look around you and you'll find annoying things in every person... I guess it doesn't really matter :shrug:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well Nole seemed more pissed by Roddick bringing up his 1500 ball bounces before serving but I do think there's talk going on about Djokovic making fun of players that do mind.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Wow, have people lost their senses of humor THIS MUCH?! I saw these two practice earlier in the year and they were making fun of each other the whole time. Maybe they're not BFF, but they clearly get along well and give each other a hard time. Andy was JOKING, anyone ever hear of sarcasm? I realize people don't like him and are quick to jump on anything he does, but this is even ridiculous for the most voracious of haters :lol:

sawan I realize you don't like Novak and that's cool, but trying to make this into some drama that doesn't exist so it looks like Andy agrees with you is absolutely ridiculous :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts