Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 3rd time RBA has beat Djokovic in 1.5 years (twice this year). I have looked at it in a lot of ways. As a coach, as a fan....

I have come to a conclusion on my findings.... Djokovic is just a bang average ball striker and RBA is the best man to expose it.

Why?

Why RBA is the best to expose it is simple. He caresses the ball, hits with little power and forces Djokovic to generate his own pace. This is something Djokovic struggles with. RBA stubbornness and style also gets in the head of Djokovic and takes away confidence to attack and to hit good serves.

On a positive note for RBA, he is a player who gives you little to work with but also will throw back what you throw at him if decide to hit harder at him.

If there were more players like RBA, Djokovic would be in big trouble.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not bigging up him that match. To be honest he bores me. Its all about styles. Im just pointing out Djokovic gets exposed by him in a way others don't

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Djokovic lost because he was awful, not because RBA did anything special. When Djokovic plays at his normal level he will beat RBA every time. The only impressive win RBA has over Djokovic is the Doha win earlier this year, because there Djokovic was at least playing at a decent level and RBA was well above his average.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
RBA's FH is not exactly weak, it'd be interested to know where he ranks in terms of pace, but it does seem to be the most effective FH against Djokovic. He does way more damage than Delmugtro or Nose, who also hits it flat like him.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
3rd time in 2.5 years, not 1.5

Djokovic lost because he was awful, not because RBA did anything special. When Djokovic plays at his normal level he will beat RBA every time. The only impressive win RBA has over Djokovic is the Doha win earlier this year, because there Djokovic was at least playing at a decent level and RBA was well above his average.
lol, don't be hurtin'. Agut was real good. Djoker was solid but not as good as in Doha.

RBA's FH is not exactly weak, it'd be interested to know where he ranks in terms of pace, but it does seem to be the most effective FH against Djokovic. He does way more damage than Delmugtro or Nose, who also hits it flat like him.
they don't flatly penetrate the court like RBA... Delpo hits the same FH over and over, but the arc is different.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Why RBA is the best to expose it is simple. He caresses the ball, hits with little power and forces Djokovic to generate his own pace. This is something Djokovic struggles with. RBA stubbornness and style also gets in the head of Djokovic and takes away confidence to attack and to hit good serves.

On a positive note for RBA, he is a player who gives you little to work with but also will throw back what you throw at him if decide to hit harder at him.
Yeah, this is not what happened at all.

Lol.

Agut played hard and early which forced Djokovic to up the ante, which he did eventually.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they don't flatly penetrate the court like RBA... Delpo hits the same FH over and over, but the arc is different.

Great point. Seems to use less wrist than delpo too

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Alot of nonsense here, both against Djok and defending him.

Djok, when on, is the most precise ball striker in the game.

There is def a matchup issue with RBA.
Rba is like a slightly different version of Djok, a wall.
But perhaps stronger mentally.
When Djok is less than great, this can bring him down.

It's one of the most interesting things about tennis, IMO--one man's kyrptonite is another man's favourite snack.

But I think other people might have beaten Djok here too. He really has not been so great since the early fall. Fed could have beaten him in Shanghai had Fed not choked the 3rd set TB.
I wrote on another thread that Nadal made him look better than he was AO final, by be3ing so utterly useless in that match.
For that I got accused of sour grapes. I usually draw nasty remarks with the truth. LOL

So many posters assumed he was back to his 2011 or 2015 invincible self. He was/is not.
Very clear now.
But Djok fans prefer to say "he only cares about slams" sad excuse

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Flat ball penetrate faster through air. Nd is not fast enough to find RBA ball. But kohli hit with top spinn and that worked as well in IW.
So besides match ups.... Nd is mentally off... ?

·
Registered
404 Posts
RBA hits v. flat and is also a great defender so I can understand why he troubles Djokovic. But, the H2H is still 7-3 in Novak's favour (with two of RBA's wins coming this year, where Novak has looked pretty bad outside AO), so this thread looks... kind of weird.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Agut hits the ball very flat and if he hits it consistently djokovic struggles. Djokovic has the same ball almost everytime, so if you get used to it, it can be easier.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
RBA hits v. flat and is also a great defender so I can understand why he troubles Djokovic. But, the H2H is still 7-3 in Novak's favour (with two of RBA's wins coming this year, where Novak has looked pretty bad outside AO), so this thread looks... kind of weird.
Its 3-3 and hardcourts and the last hardcourt win for djokovic was 2015.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if people on here have a brain. Djokovic a “average” ball striker? Jesus Christ!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Alot of nonsense here, both against Djok and defending him.

Djok, when on, is the most precise ball striker in the game.

Rba is like a slightly different version of Djok, a wall.
But perhaps stronger mentally.
When Djok is less than great, this can bring him down.

It's one of the most interesting things about tennis, IMO--one man's kyrptonite is another man's favourite snack.

But I think other people might have beaten Djok here too. He really has not been so great since the early fall. Fed could have beaten him in Shanghai had Fed not choked the 3rd set TB.
I wrote on another thread that Nadal made him look better than he was AO final, by be3ing so utterly useless in that match.
For that I got accused of sour grapes. I usually draw nasty remarks with the truth. LOL

So many posters assumed he was back to his 2011 or 2015 invincible self. He was/is not.
Very clear now.
Not an excuse bro it’s more reality than anything. Djokovic has won the double a million times and has a million masters and has been doing so year after year tournament after tournament for almost a decade now. He’s rapidly approaching 32 it’s kind of expected at this point in his career that he’s not gonna get up for these kind of tournaments anymore.

Slams are what count and what people care and are going to remember about not ohh he won 50 masters. He clearly wasn’t even as emotionally invested in these type of events as previous years where it was obvious. That’s all that we are saying.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
"Not getting up for Masters..." mantra. This is beyond belief even for Djokovic fanatics. These events are the mainstay of the ATP tour, only the Year End ATP Tour Finals is higher, and the ITF majors of course.

Roger has 10 Masters titles in the bag since turning age 30 while prime Novak and Nadal acquired most of the rest.
RAFA has 5 Masters titles since turning 30, with the year younger Novak shadowing him.
Novak has 2 Masters titles since turning 30, with zero younger greats (so far) following him. One has to feel that Novak will win more.

The main reasons for Novak's losses in the Sunshine Double were insufficient preparation leading to rustiness and unfitness and his conquerors competing well enough to take advantage. The external factors distraction is a convenient excuse.

It is almost guaranteed that he'll change his schedule next year to play either Acapulco, Dubai, or some other warm-up tournament after the AO.

Novak needs to be physically better in the clay season, and he probably will. Failing to go deep in Masters events will lead to lack of level toughness needed to go deep in majors.
Getting beaten by Kohli or RBA is nothing to be ashamed of; they are good players for sure. One cannot forget that Novak has won the last 3 majors, but every match starts from zero, and that level cannot be found at the moment, and needs to be earned. For Novak, that means doing well at the Masters events since he enters so few lesser events.

Wish him well; like everyone, he won't be around forever.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Agut hits the ball very flat and if he hits it consistently djokovic struggles. Djokovic has the same ball almost everytime, so if you get used to it, it can be easier.
And consistently w/ depth the way Warwinka in Stanimal mode has executed on 3 different GS surfaces against Novak though i would say weather delay at FO SF gave Novak a disadvantage there but in BO3 RBA seems capable of executing just enough to pull off the rare upset when Novak's concentration a bit off. Don't forget this new venue/surface also does not exactly play the same as where he won 6 previously.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
"Not getting up for Masters..." mantra. This is beyond belief even for Djokovic fanatics. These events are the mainstay of the ATP tour, only the Year End ATP Tour Finals is higher, and the ITF majors of course.

Roger has 10 Masters titles in the bag since turning age 30 while prime Novak and Nadal acquired most of the rest.
RAFA has 5 Masters titles since turning 30, with the year younger Novak shadowing him.
Novak has 2 Masters titles since turning 30, with zero younger greats (so far) following him. One has to feel that Novak will win more.

The main reasons for Novak's losses in the Sunshine Double were insufficient preparation leading to rustiness and unfitness and his conquerors competing well enough to take advantage.]The external factors distraction is a convenient excuse.

It is almost guaranteed that he'll change his schedule next year to play either Acapulco, Dubai, or some other warm-up tournament after the AO.

Novak needs to be physically better in the clay season, and he probably will. Failing to go deep in Masters events will lead to lack of level toughness needed to go deep in majors.
Getting beaten by Kohli or RBA is nothing to be ashamed of; they are good players for sure. One cannot forget that Novak has won the last 3 majors, but every match starts from zero, and that level cannot be found at the moment, and needs to be earned. For Novak, that means doing well at the Masters events since he enters so few lesser events.

Wish him well; like everyone, he won't be around forever.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Incredible stupid trolling even for your standards :facepalm:

Could it possible be that Nole is the youngest out of three and had only one and a half year after reaching 30 to add to the masters count (not to mention he didn't even play for a while), while Roger had 7 years?

Double face palm for ongoing try to make an argument about "younger" whatever following whoever. I guess that's what happens when you get old, keep repeating same thing over and over and over and .... :facepalm: :facepalm:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is there really? Djokovic of old would have dug deep, he doesn’t anymore, hence the reason why even when on poor form he won their last slam encounter.

Agree on the whole he has been average, but he won vs Fed because he dug deep, something he seems to only really want to do vs Nadal and Federer.

For that I got accused of sour grapes
Nadal battered everyone in sight up until the final, he was so dominant in his early matches that some people picked him to win comfortably in the final. What a co-incidence that Nadal made him look good.

Djokovic holds 3 slams but only 2 masters. Kind of backs up the argument doesn’t it? He seems to save his best for slams or the way I see it – he doesn’t want to dig too deep in non-slam events. Sensible move I think since grand slams will define the big 3s careers.

Alot of nonsense here
Mainly from you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts