Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"For us tennis players it's a bit strange to see a soccer player come into our world. He should be careful. The Davis Cup should not become the Piqué Cup" -- Federer on Gerard Piqué, according to Swiss news reports.

Interesting stuff. I agree! Do you?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
He's self-interested as a Laver Cup investor. I only recall him playing Davis Cup once in the past seven years or something.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
We already had a team tennis tournament with best 2 out of 3 matches, with 8 teams in 2 pool round robins followed by a final.

It was called the World Team Cup. And it ended in 2012. Because nobody cared. Not sure why the ITF thinks anyone will care about a similar week long tournament when they turn Davis Cup into that. Especially when the top players still don't show up because it's eating into their offseason in November.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
We already had a team tennis tournament with best 2 out of 3 matches, with 8 teams in 2 pool round robins followed by a final.

It was called the World Team Cup. And it ended in 2012. Because nobody cared. Not sure why the ITF thinks anyone will care about a similar week long tournament when they turn Davis Cup into that. Especially when the top players still don't show up because it's eating into their offseason in November.
I read somewhere that the participating countries were promised a lot of money (or something to that effect), so I'm guessing it's mostly politics and somewhere along the way they hope to bootstrap the event into something profitable.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I read somewhere that the participating countries were promised a lot of money (or something to that effect), so I'm guessing it's mostly politics and somewhere along the way they hope to bootstrap the event into something profitable.
Piqué also said he's trying to move it to September
Right when there's the Laver Cup :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If all the best players showed up, it would be interesting. But don`t think they will, so probably not. Agree this is more about Fed getting in a dig to protect the tournament he backs.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Roger is, of course, correct. Why change the Davis Cup when it is completely fine the way it is now? All of these changes that these idiots are doing to the tour and its tournaments need to stop.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I can't see the Davis Cup lasting with the new format. They are playing for their countries so the people in those countries need to be involved. The crowds' cheering will be greatly missed.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
No format will work when the players aren't interested enough. Only individual sport that seems to make a team event without money on offer work is golf. All the players there would die to play in the Ryder Cup, still in 2018. Arguably gonna be the most hyped golf event ever next month.

I think the way it could happen for tennis is a big Davis Cup(probably called something else, take the name to the grave and be happy for what it gave) only every other year. A two week thing for 32 countries or so, maybe spread around a bit the first week and then a finals venue for the second week, top-8 or so. Let the singles ranking be the determining factor for what countries qualify.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That's kind of a catchy phrase but, I really don't know what he's trying to say.

Anyway, I dislike the nationalistic aspect of sport, but unfortunately most people live for it and that's why the money is behind national teams competition.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
when are they going to realize that the Davis Cup is a dead thing and nothing they bring new to the table will change that (unless they start paying big time money), for years and years top players are avoiding DC citing usual excuses like 'tiredness' pr 'not fitting the schedule' but the real reason is: with prize money constantly increasing and DC paying zero dollars, why would top players bother to show up?

and Federer better be quiet, he was always avoiding Davis Cup, why would he care what format they use?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts