Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dan Evans is 29 at the moment and peaked at a 31 ranking last week.

I remember watching Dan at the 2014 US Open vs. Ferrer I think? And I was looking at his box and it full of 2 BRUVHS (British Bros?) and 2 girls. He looked so casual out there and did not give a single sh!t about what was happening. Dan fluctuated from unranked, to top 1000 , to top 100 (for like a few months ) and then to the top 200's or worse for a long time. I remember watching him and looking at an all court genius , with all the shots in the book... I also remember watching his bloated belly bounce around after tracking down a forehand.....
Image result for dan evans 2014

I remember there being some scandals around Evans for various reasons... but all of the sudden , here he is at the twilight of his career and he is motivated as I / We have ever seen him. Evans playing for the UK , was like Evans at Standford bridge, the last viking fending off hordes of thirsty tennis players trying to knock out the UK and as of recent we have seen him clutch out matches, when in the past he would have gladly given up at 2-6 , 0-3.

Image result for bridge and viking

I am handing this over to MTF, because this is probably the only place in the world where A, someone knows who Dan Evans is and B, someone who follows his career.

So what has changed for him, did he talk with a mentor , did he randomly decide to put in more effort, anyone have any Idea what has changed for the once Top 1000 level man?

·
justice for all
12,885 Posts
Evens is reaching his peak right now.
Well done to him and what a story!
Maybe he'll go even further up - I hope so cause I really like the guy.

One may only feel sorry and wonder what he'd achieve should coke be legal - the sky would be the limit for Dan the Albatros! What a pity.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Gotta opiniate that its bullshit the way coke bans are giving. A working class Brit gets 2 years out of the game and a a talented Frenchman with a nice backhand serves no time because a "stripper kissed him at a club". Love kissing strippers with coke on their lips personally. Absolute bullshit.

In the same way the Finnish-Russian Roman Eremenko. A nice attacking midfielder and very good player got a two years ban for coke while some Panamian legend got a few months because his country got into the world cup. There is no consistency in this bullshit. Although in some special circumstances it could be seens as preformance enhancing it aint exactly EPO. Its a minor crime, should the ATP ban you for two years if you speed or pay too little taxes as well? Fucking bullshit. But hey maybe the ban has helped Dan Evans come back and be more focused, who knows

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
He is a wasted talent. He really is a top 20 player at his best. I don't think he cared that much about tennis. The coke ban probably showed him how lucky he was. It's never too late. He seems to care a little more these days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gotta opiniate that its bullshit the way coke bans are giving. A working class Brit gets 2 years out of the game and a a talented Frenchman with a nice backhand serves no time because a "stripper kissed him at a club". Love kissing strippers with coke on their lips personally. Absolute bullshit.

In the same way the Finnish-Russian Roman Eremenko. A nice attacking midfielder and very good player got a two years ban for coke while some Panamian legend got a few months because his country got into the world cup. There is no consistency in this bullshit. Although in some special circumstances it could be seens as preformance enhancing it aint exactly EPO. Its a minor crime, should the ATP ban you for two years if you speed or pay too little taxes as well? Fucking bullshit. But hey maybe the ban has helped Dan Evans come back and be more focused, who knows
First of all it wasnt some Panamenian legend. It was Paolo Guerrero of Peru. He was the captain and the most important player in the team. Maybe if you actually read and thought about what you type, you would know that the hotel that he was staying at covered everything up and instead of being like yeah we gave him mate de coca instead of tea like he asked and its our fault he pissed dirty. They just covered it up, because Argentinians can be snakes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First of all it wasnt some Panamenian legend. It was Paolo Guerrero of Peru. He was the captain and the most important player in the team. Maybe if you actually read and thought about what you type, you would know that the hotel that he was staying at covered everything up and instead of being like yeah we gave him mate de coca instead of tea like he asked and its our fault he pissed dirty. They just covered it up, because Argentinians can be snakes.
Your so called nice midfielder was actually railing lines and circumventing the rules. Guerrero was screwed, and you should be ashamed about your terrible comment

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Your so called nice midfielder was actually railing lines and circumventing the rules. Guerrero was screwed, and you should be ashamed about your terrible comment
Roman Eremenko a Xavi style guy, the Russian PL player of 2014-15 maybe also kissed a stripper or was poisoned by the argentinians lol. Just because the Bolivian legend had his federation get some expensive ass lawyers to find some plausible deniability doesnt mean he wasnt railing lines. Lmao I read an article about how they DNA tested a mummified Inca person or something to "prove" their funny theory. And as it happens, I dont think its much of a moral failing to snort lines, and you shouldnt have your athletic career robbed from you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would you rail lines
Roman Eremenko a Xavi style guy, the Russian PL player of 2014-15 maybe also kissed a stripper or was poisoned by the argentinians lol. Just because the Bolivian legend had his federation get some expensive ass lawyers to find some plausible deniability doesnt mean he wasnt railing lines. Lmao I read an article about how they DNA tested a mummified Inca person or something to "prove" their funny theory. And as it happens, I dont think its much of a moral failing to snort lines, and you shouldnt have your athletic career robbed from you.
Would you rail lines 6 months before the world cup when you know it's a banned substance? He's not stupid. You can rail lines after the world cup. It is a moral failing to snort lines. When you do that, you are literally supporting the drug trade across the world. Coke is a literal stimulant. It makes you react faster and act faster. that's why it's banned. it's unfair to other competitors to have a chemical advantage

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Well 2013 he played Nishikori in first round at US open and did him in straights which showed his potential (Kei of course reached the final there the next year).

I can also remember him randomly doing well at Zagreb I think but really up to 25 it was very slim pickings at major events.

Before the ban he had that fantastic US open when he had match point v Stan and then backed up his third round performance there with fourth round at AO in 2017. At that point he was around 30 in the rankings so really from his own stupidity he's lost pretty much 3 years just to get back to this point. In a peverse way think he enjoyed the grind of hauling himself back up from being unranked when he returned in April 2018.

He should've broke top 20 in 2017. He can certainly do it in next few months. A title aswell would be good.

·
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know who the Peru guy is but that is another topic

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I remember hearing of him for the first time when he didn’t get a wildcard for Wimbledon in 2013, then bombed out in qualifying. That year he qualified for USO and beat Nishikori and Tomic before losing to Robredo in a tough 4-set match. Robredo, of course, went on to beat Fed in the next round. Otherwise, I can’t think of too many memorable Dan Evans moments before his ban besides when he almost beat Wawrinka at USO 2016 in the third round (I believe), a tournament which Stan went on to win. He worked much harder after his cocaine ban, coming back with wildcards for qualies at the new British indoor challenger events during the clay season in 2018. He had to play through Wimbledon pre-qualies since he wasn’t given any sort of wildcard, beat Marcus Willis there, then lost in some round of actual qualifying. I remember him taking a while to get up to a high level again, had some weird loses to lower-level players in the first few months after his ban. He eventually worked his way to his current, highest-ever level. Those are the moments that stick out in my memory, a more dedicated fan will probably have a much more complete story.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I remember hearing of him for the first time when he didn’t get a wildcard for Wimbledon in 2013, then bombed out in qualifying. That year he qualified for USO and beat Nishikori and Tomic before losing to Robredo in a tough 4-set match. Robredo, of course, went on to beat Fed in the next round. Otherwise, I can’t think of too many memorable Dan Evans moments before his ban besides when he almost beat Wawrinka at USO 2016 in the third round (I believe), a tournament which Stan went on to win. He worked much harder after his cocaine ban, coming back with wildcards for qualies at the new British indoor challenger events during the clay season in 2018. He had to play through Wimbledon pre-qualies since he wasn’t given any sort of wildcard, beat Marcus Willis there, then lost in some round of actual qualifying. I remember him taking a while to get up to a high level again, had some weird loses to lower-level players in the first few months after his ban. He eventually worked his way to his current, highest-ever level. Those are the moments that stick out in my memory, a more dedicated fan will probably have a much more complete story.
Nope that's pretty much it bar a run to semi finals of Zagreb 2014 when he lost to a youthful Tommy Haas in the SF. Scanning his activity in 2012,13 and most of 2014 is just all future events and challengers. His Davis cup record was also really poor.

Forgot he reached Wimbledon 3rd round in 2016 where he again ran into Fed. From that to AO 2017 he made at least the 3rd round in those three slams so it was simply ridiculous he failed the test when he did.

Can also remember him just not turning up to one of those future events in Britain but can't remember what year it was.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope that's pretty much it bar a run to semi finals of Zagreb 2014 when he lost to a youthful Tommy Haas in the SF. Scanning his activity in 2012,13 and most of 2014 is just all future events and challengers. His Davis cup record was also really poor.

Forgot he reached Wimbledon 3rd round in 2016 where he again ran into Fed. From that to AO 2017 he made at least the 3rd round in those three slams so it was simply ridiculous he failed the test when he did.

Can also remember him just not turning up to one of those future events in Britain but can't remember what year it was.
Remember that last part lol, big Dan stayed with his mates at the pub all day hahahha

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Sir Evans will cause some damage at this year's SW19. Hopefully he can mantain his form and we might see him there for more than one week. Last year he lost to the less talented of the Sousas

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Guy is the smartest player on the planet. Knows how to play the game to near perfection. If he had some bigger weapons it would be scary.

I followed him since he was a teen. Met him at some tournaments as a player. Had a funny twitter exchange with him. Seen him play live a lot and have a picture with him. Massive fan

A nicer headbanger (tomic and gulbis more rude)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I think it's basically that after messing around and not taking things as seriously as he should, the coke ban has finally shaken some sense into him. It's frustrating, because years ago I said he could be Top 30, and maybe even Top 20, but I think he self-sabotaged on several occasions.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well, whatever happened, he certainly looks extremely motivated in his matches. and a great player to watch. Gonna be interesting to see how he does this year for sure.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Dan Evans is 29 at the moment and peaked at a 31 ranking last week.

I remember watching Dan at the 2014 US Open vs. Ferrer I think? And I was looking at his box and it full of 2 BRUVHS (British Bros?) and 2 girls. He looked so casual out there and did not give a single sh!t about what was happening. Dan fluctuated from unranked, to top 1000 , to top 100 (for like a few months ) and then to the top 200's or worse for a long time. I remember watching him and looking at an all court genius , with all the shots in the book... I also remember watching his bloated belly bounce around after tracking down a forehand.....
Image result for dan evans 2014

I remember there being some scandals around Evans for various reasons... but all of the sudden , here he is at the twilight of his career and he is motivated as I / We have ever seen him. Evans playing for the UK , was like Evans at Standford bridge, the last viking fending off hordes of thirsty tennis players trying to knock out the UK and as of recent we have seen him clutch out matches, when in the past he would have gladly given up at 2-6 , 0-3.

Image result for bridge and viking

I am handing this over to MTF, because this is probably the only place in the world where A, someone knows who Dan Evans is and B, someone who follows his career.

So what has changed for him, did he talk with a mentor , did he randomly decide to put in more effort, anyone have any Idea what has changed for the once Top 1000 level man?
Basically Evans was known as a player with potential but he liked too party too much .

Had a very long period of playing only futures in Britain .

I would not be surprised if he was drinking and going out clubbing durning these tournaments .
Strangely when I got to see him play live was when his career seemed too turn around .

He won a itf event in Shrewsbury .

I could clearly see he was a hothead .

From that tournament was when his career began too turn around . Reached his 2nd ever challenger final shortly after . I believe it was in Canada .

I remember he lost .

2nd time around thankfully he cruised up the rankings in no time .

I think now he is just making up for lost time .

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
He battled back from being a fat depressed cokehead. If he wins the title in Dubai he's basically the Tyson Fury of tennis.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've followed his career since he beat Nishikori at USO 2013.

He got a bad knee injury in 2014 I think. But however was always a bit more interested in partying than he was in tennis.

Before the coke ban he was doing well, had started training properly and was 30-40 in the rankings. Since the ban I think he has grown up and started to appreciate his potential.

Hopefully he can crack the top 20.

He has a tattoo of an Oscar Wilde quote "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future" which is quite apt for him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts