Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All stats and accomplishments from this year on will be irrelevant to the past. There are and will be simply too many factors and inconsistencies for valid comparison.

I could write a usual masterclass wall of text explaining this, but the conclusion should be obvious even to the most dense at MTF.

20-19-17-14-11. That's all folks.

:cool:

*GOTE - Greatest Of The Era.

Finally,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I expected nothing less from trollclass.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Anything before 2007 (when Djokovic wasn't a top player yet) is irrelevant.

Take the 2007-2020 timeframe if you want to compare big 3 members. I will repeat that as much as necessary by the way.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Anything before 2007 (when Djokovic wasn't a top player yet) is irrelevant.

Take the 2007-2020 timeframe if you want to compare big 3 members. I will repeat that as much as necessary by the way.
Not even the biggest Djokovic fan would argue that the Open Era began in 2007, surely?

Read the OP again.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The OP is about the end of the Open Era, and the achievements in the Open Era.
This is how it should be understood.

There is no doubt that post-covid tennis will usher in another era in the game.

At least, in my opinion, the 3rd epoch of the modern era, already heralded by the disappearance of the Davis Cup, in its historical form.

Even if a few players will remain for the transition.

In my opinion

+ epoch 1: 1968-1989

+ epoch 2:
1990-2019.

1990 because establishment of a more regulated, more readable, more "disciplined" circuit with the birth of the MS 1000 by ATP and the gradual disappearance of a competing circuit
(WCT).

Even if some actors remain the same and make the transition (Becker, Edberg considering their age group).
Yet I see them as from the previous era.

As much as it is impossible to compare the GS before and after the Open era, it is also risky to do retroactivity or projections for convenience of reading.

+ finally, 2020 (cancellation, closed doors, "big brother pharma" measures .. and what will follow, which is moreover, to this day very uncertain.

But that, we do not realize it, until after.

Bravo mastersclass for launching this ancipitative track

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,876 Posts
The OP is about the end of the Open Era, and the achievements in the Open Era.
How do you define this critically? The start of the Open Era was defined by pros.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
How do you define this critically? The start of the Open Era was defined by pros.
Masterclass will no doubt give a better answer than I could, but the issue is comparability, which is based on continuity and the uniformity of challenges.

It's possible that post-Covid slams, starting with USO 2020, will have a diminished status analogous to the years when pros were not allowed to compete.

Covid is the watershed.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
Fed fans twisting themselves in a pretzel to keep records. Still in the bargaining stage of grief. Now want to create new eras haha because asterisk is not enough

Truth is we historians of the game must pay attention and see if the game and the events are still worthy of inclusion. USO most likely will have 90 or more of the top 100. Many slams have taken place with top guys missing or injured. I still count Wimbledon 1973 so why would I not count USO 2020?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
lol
Pathetic stuff from OP,as he always did

Reactions: VyRa | esq.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
great image of King Federer now at 39 years young

Reactions: The Federest

·
Banned
359 Posts
Fed fans twisting themselves in a pretzel to keep records. Still in the bargaining stage of grief. Now want to create new eras haha because asterisk is not enough

Truth is we historians of the game must pay attention and see if the game and the events are still worthy of inclusion. USO most likely will have 90 or more of the top 100. Many slams have taken place with top guys missing or injured. I still count Wimbledon 1973 so why would I not count USO 2020?
Historians of the game will remember Novak as the vaccine denying idiot who spread COVID to fellow players in a desperate attempt at a cash grab

1 - 20 of 84 Posts