Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.tennis365.com/wta-tour/serena-williams-carlos-ramos-australian-open/

It's probably for the best that these two be kept apart for awhile. While I am staunchly against players being able to decide who does and does not umpire their matches, you don't want to throw an umpire into the meat grinder, and I'm afraid that's all that would happen if Ramos was assigned a Serena match.

I'm sure Carlos isn't too concerned.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Serena should make a public apology I feel. Failing that I can't see her career lasting much longer so that will solve the issue.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If so then it's a bad decision. Seems like some people didn't learn from the Nadal-Bernardes story.

In all sports, referees need to have a neutral and professional image. Allowing players to decide which umpire can't be present during their matches is terrible and all tournaments shouldn't want to make such decisions in this respect as well.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Not a fan of this move. Serena yet to assume responsibility. Both parties should in any case move forward like the pros they're supposed to be. Well maybe they even have, since the article doesn't really provide any evidence of something still brewing (just says "The row hasn’t really appeared to die down since then"; based on what?). Maybe it's more so about the organizers taking all measures to not geopardize one of their cash cows (even if no actual "danger" would exist; just precaution of hyperbolic magnitude).

edit. By geopardizing I mean more that Serena could end up self-exploding again due to Ramos' presence. Thus, while some are talking that this could be in order to protect Ramos, could as well be in order to protect Serena (= consequently AO's business interests).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Serena fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You took what should have been a glorious moment for Naomi Osaka, and shat on it. Just as you did Kim Clisters. Simply because you couldn't believe you were getting your arse kicked. BOO! Take responsibility, own up to the truth, and stop this shameful women's rights activist cover.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As an official for other sports, Serena should not have say in who umpires her matches. That is obviously a conflict of interest.

However, from an umpire assigner's perspective I can definitely see why keeping Ramos, without Serena's input, off her matches makes sense. When I have ejected coaches from basketball games, I am generally kept from working their games for awhile. Not because I am at fault or because he told the assigner he didn't want me anymore, but because it's a no-win situation for me. Coaches (and tennis players) are inherently biased and driven to win; additionally, despite being "professionals" they do not always act as such and often carry grudges (and officials can be guilty of this, too, though I doubt Ramos would have a chip on his shoulder). A Ramos + Serena reunion would be a huge storyline that I don't think the Australian Open wants; there are plenty of other matches Ramos can work that he will be happy with. Again, you don't want to throw an umpire into the meat grinder, and putting him on a Serena match this soon after the USO fiasco would be just that. It could also be a safety concern for Ramos.

In the U.S. there is a college basketball official who received threats and bad business reviews from disgruntled fans after an NCAA tournament game in 2017. He likely won't work that school for a long time for his own safety.

I wholeheartedly agree that Serena should apologize, but we all know she won't so I just can't wait for that spoiled b*tch to retire.

What would be great is if Ramos was put on an AO final and got a standing ovation from the crowd.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Literally nothing to see here. "Ao organizers consider keeping Ramos and Williams apart". Yeah, let's all make some drama over their consideration, not.

Anyway, anyone seen CR since USO final? He umpired in DC match between Croatia and USA, but haven't noticed him in either ATP Masters tournament since them.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Serena is not that bad. Sure, she could and should have responded differently at the USO (Ramos as well imo), but at the end of the day she got distracted by an external factor, her coach. I can imagine looking at the score line and her level she wasn't happy even before the 'coaching warning' occurred. She has always been an emotional rollercoaster on court. Umpires have to deal with that too, because in my book, sport is emotion. Especially at the highest level. Athletes should get some emotional space. Umpires don't have to 'hear' everything.

Check out YouTube and search for Serena and Lisicki. They had a nice moment after Lisicki got injured and cried. Serena responded like a true champion. I can think of many more examples like these, but sadly for her, the negative situations at big events are the ones most people remember.

Personally, I prefer Venus due to her more distinguished style of play, but Serena has a great character as well. I've read and seen a lot about her and she had to deal with some sh%t in her life which goes beyond words. It's only logical she sometimes goes nuts, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Serena is not that bad. Sure, she could and should have responded differently at the USO (Ramos as well imo), but at the end of the day she got distracted by an external factor, her coach. I can imagine looking at the score line and her level she wasn't happy even before the 'coaching warning' occurred. She has always been an emotional rollercoaster on court. Umpires have to deal with that too, because in my book, sport is emotion. Especially at the highest level. Athletes should get some emotional space. Umpires don't have to 'hear' everything.

Check out YouTube and search for Serena and Lisicki. They had a nice moment after Lisicki got injured and cried. Serena responded like a true champion. I can think of many more examples like these, but sadly for her, the negative situations at big events are the ones most people remember.

Personally, I prefer Venus due to her more distinguished style of play, but Serena has a great character as well. I've read and seen a lot about her and she had to deal with some sh%t in her life which goes beyond words. It's only logical she sometimes goes nuts, so to speak.
I tried to argue something similar in a previous thread during the US Open debacle but it turned into a mess. I am afraid this thread is going to a similar path even though the topic is about whether Ramos should offiicate her games and not about what happened.

My take has always been that I disagree with her behavior and I wished she apologize but she didn't and wouldn't, her stubbornness is also what makes a great competitor.
I think there's a lot of layers with Serena and it's one I'm never going to discuss on MTF because it becomes a perspective issue.

There are many sides to an athlete, Serena is one of the most polarizing so that's why she gets a ton of hate and also a ton of love. It depends on what side you take the most cognizance of. Do you see the outbursts at the US opens and think, "damn, what a sore loser", or do you see the hugs with Kerber or Stosur, or the incident with Lisicki and say "Oh, wow, so classy." Do you notice those quotes or the apparent non-apology that seem arrogant or self absorbed or do you see the charity work does, the scholarships and the schools she builds in places in Africa and the Caribbean and say "that's awesome."

What I do notice is a segment of people who hate her wondering how anyone would like her and a segment people who like her, wondering how anyone would hate her.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Many layers my ass. Thugrena is by far the most classless, entitled and low IQ big player. She makes me cringe with every word she says. Classless, uneducated, horrible example for children across the world. The sooner she retires, the better.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Many layers my ass. Thugrena is by far the most classless, entitled and low IQ big player. She makes me cringe with every word she says. Classless, uneducated, horrible example for children across the world. The sooner she retires, the better.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,721 Posts

The explosion was bad and forgivable but that she keeps insisting on woman card, race card and mother card speaks volumes.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It's clear Serena is never going to apologise for her behaviour that day and the following reaction from WTA. She has permanently lost me as a fan, and that's that. Won't be long until she just retires and goes away anyway. If that match proved anything, its that Serena cant handle the pressure anymore and opponents finally believe they can beat her.

·
Registered
806 Posts
She should apologise, to him and her opponent, but given her relentless sense of self righteousness and victimhood I think it makes sense to keep them apart. We don't want a situation where someone else is beating her and she uses it as an excuse.

Reactions: Andrej

·
Banned
295 Posts
I don't think she mentioned race though. She did mention gender and being a mother but not race.
Not in her direct words it's true - but as she is from the US others will automatically play that race card for her - especially certain journalists.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts