Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
link

MOYA CRUISES INTO SECOND ROUND

Top seed Carlos Moya of Spain eased into the second round, but the highly-anticipated clash of former world number one's never materialised as a record crowd turned up at the Copa AT&T in Buenos Aires.

Moya prevailed over fellow countryman David Ferrer 6-3 6-3 in the first round of the claycourt tournament.

Moya said: "I love to come back to Buenos Aires to play. I came because I wanted to play in the city where I won my first event.

"It's been eight years and obviously I'm a different person and player but I keep great memories from the tournament and wanted to come back."

I cannot believe nobody made a thread for Moyke

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
:) Hi Vaiva!

Did I know you also liked Carlos Moya?? I like him too -- he hasn't done much so far this year but I'll cheer for him w you!

Vamos, Charly!!

I guess he'll be defending his Acapulco points from last year, right?

;)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi RF! Now 2 makes a huge cheering squad for Carlos ;)

I like (adore) Moya. And not only because he has a winning record against the Potato :D

Ain't he a cutie!?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi claudine :wavey:

I couldn't resist the temptation :D
King Carlos deserves to have his personal cheering thread.

Btw, I was always curious why your name ends in "140"? Is that how old are you (j/k).

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
moyke did it !!!!
HE WON WITH THE SECOND SET THE SCORE 6/1
HE IS THE BEST
BUT CONGRETULATION TO GUGA TOO
HE PLAYED A VERY GOOD TOURNEMENT AND I AM SURE HE WILL COME BACK IN THE TOP TEN

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Yay Carlos!! Now kick Coria's ass in the final and take your 12th career title! :bounce:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well done Moyke :bounce:

Moya, Coria to Meet in Final
Carlos Moya looking for his 12th ATP title as he faces 21-year-old Coria of Argentina.

Carlos Moya won a tight tiebreak against Brazil's Gustavo Kuerten on Saturday and cruised from there to win 7-6(8), 6-1 and move into the final of the Copa AT&T in Buenos Aires for the second time in his career. After losing to Gustavo Kuerten the first four times they played, Carlos Moya has now won three of the past four matches against the former World No. 1 and three-time Roland Garros champion.

In the days' first semifinal, a battle of Argentine's saw 21-year-old Guillermo Coria defeat 24-year-old Gaston Gaudio in three sets in front of the vocal Argentine fans. The last time these two played was two years ago at this very tournament, where Gaudio came away with a win in the quarterfinal. In the only ATP title won by Coria, he defeated Gaudio in the final at Vina del Mar in 2001.

FINAL PREVIEW
Guillermo Coria goes for his second career title having won in Vina del Mar in 2001. His last appearance in an ATP final was in Costa do Sauipe, Brazil, last year when he lost to Gustavo Kuerten in the final. Carlos Moya is going for his 12th career singles title and first of the year in 2003. Last year, Moya won four titles, three of them on clay, including Acapulco in February. Moya's first career ATP title came in Buenos Aires in 1995. These two players have not met since 2000, when Coria was just 18 years old in his first year on tour. Moya defeated Coria in straight sets in Mallorca, Spain

Good luck in the final! Steal that title Carlos! :D

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
:) :D Felicitaciones, Charly!!!

Good for Moya for beating Guga! Not an easy task on clay!!

OK, Vamos, Carlos!! Win the whole thing!!

I'm happy Coria beat both Nalby and Gaudio!! Hee hee!!

AND Anabel Medina Garrigues is in the FINAL of Bogota!! Vamos, Anabel!!! [Arantxa gives her high praise -- hope she can be a bright light for Spain!!]

;)

Moya can beat some top players who give everyone else a lot of trouble!! Muy bien!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
RogiFan said:
:) :D Felicitaciones, Charly!!!

Good for Moya for beating Guga! Not an easy task on clay!!

OK, Vamos, Carlos!! Win the whole thing!!

I'm happy Coria beat both Nalby and Gaudio!! Hee hee!!

AND Anabel Medina Garrigues is in the FINAL of Bogota!! Vamos, Anabel!!! [Arantxa gives her high praise -- hope she can be a bright light for Spain!!]

;)

Moya can beat some top players who give everyone else a lot of trouble!! Muy bien!
Indeed moyke is so unpredictable, he beats the very strong men , just like you said, and he loose from unknow, much lower ranked players....I think he takes it too easy when he must play against an unknown player, and he is more motivated and concentrated when he wants to win from a top player.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well done Carlos!
Congrats on your first title in 2003 :bounce:

MOYA OVERCOMES LOCAL FAVOURITE

Top seed Carlos Moya upset the locals by defeating Argentinian youngster Guillermo Coria in the final of the Copa AT&T claycourt event in Buenos Aires on Sunday.

Moya's victory keeps up his impressive unbeaten record in the South American capital where he won his first ATP title back in 1995 when he was just 19.

The Spaniard had to battle hard though before beating Coria over three sets, winning 6-3 4-6 6-4.

"It was a tough match, Coria played really well," the 1998 French Open winner said.

"I had the match under control until half way through the second set. But then I lost concentration, and the third could have been anybody's," he added.

"Luckily I served well, and I guess the experience played its part too.

"It's an honour for me to win here. There are very few weeks in the circuit when I don't miss my home, and this certainly is one of those."

Coria, 21, was delighted with his showing at the tournament.

"It was an incredible week. I'm really happy despite the defeat," he said.

"I was very close, but he's the world number four, and he was very solid in the decisive points."

This was the 12th career singles title for Moya and the first of 2003. Next week the Spaniard will defend his 2002 title in Acapulco, Mexico.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Spain's Carlos Moya lift the trophy after defeating Argentina's Guillermo Coria to wint the AT&T Tennis Tournament in Buenos Aires, Argentina Sunday, Feb. 23 2003.
(AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts