Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Players seem less and less inclined to sign up in advance like they used to years ago. I notice in recent years Hurlingham seems to get a lot of previous Boodles participants – this year already they're listing Dimitrov, Monfils, Wawrinka, Berdych as well as Nishikori & Coric.

I wonder if Djokovic will play this year. It might be that he still intends to but doesn't want to commit in advance after having to pull out last year. He's been pretty loyal to Boodles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hurlingham's ticket prices probably mean they can shell out more for the players they want to have there ...

I've been to The Boodles several times and like that they give some of the new kids on the block an airing. I'm concerned that they've not yet published a player list; in the past it's been out there a lot earlier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, It's never been anything like this late. On Twitter they were saying a couple of weeks ago, player list coming soon. Hmmm. I just think they haven't got enough people signed up yet to warrant publishing anything called a list.

I'm not going to worry too much – in the past even when they've given a player list well in advance, some of those players withdraw and others turn up who were never on it. I'm sure they'll have enough players when the time comes, but maybe there won't be many big names. As you said, Sallydaisy – Hurlingham are probably offering more, so they're getting more of the big names. Kokkinakis was seen practising at Stoke Park this week, so maybe he'll be one of the new kids on the block playing there this year.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As you said, Sallydaisy – Hurlingham are probably offering more,
... these guys are going to Hurlingham.
Kei Nishikori
Tomas Bedych
Stan Wawrinka
Grigor Dimitrov
Marin Cilic
Gael Monfils
Borma Coric

If Boodles get Kokkinakis I'll be very happy to pay money and watch him play up close! They can add Kyrgios too if they like; and Thiem. It'd be good to see some new faces.

I hope they get Gasquet, Simon or Tsonga. Dolly has been there quite a few times and it might be a good place for Raonic to check out his fitness for Wimbers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ah, so Cilic is also on the Hurlingham list. He's another past Boodles player. Most of them are (not Coric, of course).

I think Raonic will play Boodles – he did last year, and if Wimbledon is his first tournament back an exho would be ideal for him. Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy watching him play. :( Of course, Hurlingham could lure him away too... :devil:

All of Gasquet, Tsonga, Simon & Thiem have played Boodles before, but the three French players haven't been there the last couple of years. Tsonga, Simon & Thiem are all on the Nottingham entry list, but I suppose it's possible they'll drop out in favour of an easier week. I seem to remember in the past both Tsonga & Gasquet turned up at Boodles after losing in the first round of Eastbourne, which they wouldn't have been expecting! Could happen again with Nottingham!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If Boodles get Kokkinakis I'll be very happy to pay money and watch him play up close! They can add Kyrgios too if they like; and Thiem. It'd be good to see some new faces.

I hope they get Gasquet, Simon or Tsonga. Dolly has been there quite a few times and it might be a good place for Raonic to check out his fitness for Wimbers.
Just looked again and Dolgo isn't on the Nottingham list either. He's been very good value at Boodles in the past – it would be great to see him back. Stakhovsky was great too, but he's entered Nottingham.

If Boodles gets Kokkinakis, they might try for Kyrgios too. You never know. I'm guessing Isner is likely, as he's been there the last few years. He's a nice guy, but not terribly entertaining. Some players take to the exho format better than others!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turns out to be a very good entry – lots who've played there the last couple of years, plus some new ones. I wonder why on earth they waited until so close to the event to name any of them though, instead of drip-feeding them as they sign up. Maybe they were waiting on Nole to confirm. It made a lot of us very nervous though, about whether they had enough players. I nearly asked Anderson the other day at Queen's if he was playing (but got distracted and the moment was lost).

I think both Zverevs have signed up, btw. They played doubles together at Boodles two years ago, when Sascha was still in juniors.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Rafael Nadal is a last minute entry according to the Boodles site.

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 41 Posts