Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Controversial but I think we've seen the best of all four and whilst I expect their domination to continue for a couple more years, they can't go on forever. Rather than the endless tard debates thought it would be good to reflect on their careers. If it's a player you dislike just don't discuss them or attempt to troll.

Nadal - I'd say a toss up between 2010 & 2008 with the former slightly ahead. Whilst people may look at the stats and say 2013 I still genuinely believe 2010 Nadal was a near unbeatable machine and Nadal at his absolutely peak in terms of movement, forehand and serve + all other major components of the game.

Federer - 2006 or 2012 for sure but I'd give 2012 the edge simply because of the competition even if it can't compare with 2006 stats. Federer's tennis at times during 2012 (none moreso than IW, Cincinnati & Wimbledon) was scary good and surely the last time we will see him at #1

Djokovic - 2011. Not even a debate. The form he displayed towards the tail end of 2010 was good but few could have predicted his form in 2011 and possibly the closest anyone will come to the CYGS. Given how woeful Nadal was in 2011, RG was surely in reach had he beaten Fed in the SF.

Murray - 2013 by a landslide. USO '12 + Olympic Gold title gave him a bit more belief against the top guys. I still feel he was a tad unfortunate in the AO as well but clearly had nothing left in the tank for USO '13.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Federer -.2006
Nadal - 2008
Nole - 2011
Murray - 2012

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Controversial but I think we've seen the best of all four and whilst I expect their domination to continue for a couple more years, they can't go on forever. Rather than the endless tard debates thought it would be good to reflect on their careers. If it's a player you dislike just don't discuss them or attempt to troll.

Nadal - I'd say a toss up between 2010 & 2008 with the former slightly ahead. Whilst people may look at the stats and say 2013 I still genuinely believe 2010 Nadal was a near unbeatable machine and Nadal at his absolutely peak in terms of movement, forehand and serve + all other major components of the game.

Federer - 2006 or 2012 for sure but I'd give 2012 the edge simply because of the competition even if it can't compare with 2006 stats. Federer's tennis at times during 2012 (none moreso than IW, Cincinnati & Wimbledon) was scary good and surely the last time we will see him at #1

Djokovic - 2011. Not even a debate. The form he displayed towards the tail end of 2010 was good but few could have predicted his form in 2011 and possibly the closest anyone will come to the CYGS. Given how woeful Nadal was in 2011, RG was surely in reach had he beaten Fed in the SF.

Murray - 2013 by a landslide. USO '12 + Olympic Gold title gave him a bit more belief against the top guys. I still feel he was a tad unfortunate in the AO as well but clearly had nothing left in the tank for USO '13.
:haha: he made every single final that year and was beaten by a superior player.

·
23,064 Posts
Murray has to be late 2012 to early 2013. That period that made him World #2 convincingly with 2 Slams being held by him was good for him, IMO. He lacked points due to being absent on many events (including RG).

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Djokovic - 2011 of course. 41 match winning streak, 6-0 against main rival, 3 slams and 5 masters. He was almost unbeatable that year. One of the most dominant years in history along with...

Roger- 2006. Exceptional year. Like Novak 2011, he looked almost unbeatable and you could make an argument for it being the greatest year in history. I think they are about equal. Just a truly amazing thing to watch.

Nadal- 2008 I would say. Yes he won 3 slams in 2010 but the level of competition was astonishingly low. Novak having his worst ever year, Andy mugging, Roger injured etc. look at his draws and it is hilarious the people he had to face to win those slams. But 2011 would have easily been his best year without Novak. He was at his peak, but sadly for him Djoker 2.0 showed up.

Andy- 2012. Epic semi final with Novak at the AO. He lost but gave everything and proved he could keep up with the big boys. Then he won OG and won his maiden slam.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
:haha: he made every single final that year and was beaten by a superior player.
Not pleased you quoted the OP, what idiocy. Wish I hadn't seen that :eek: Thought he might be sensible for once! How hard is it to admit your favourite played great tennis but just got beaten by someone who was playing better at that time?

First he describes Nadal in 2010, the luckiest year in history, as unbeatable and then denies that Nadal was peak in 2011? Nadal improved from 2010 in 2011 but sadly for him he wouldn't get everything on a plate. Seriously, look at those draws again and he still couldn't match Novak 2011 and Roger 2006 for greatness :wavey:

Nadal's best year is 2008. But without Novak he would have had his best year in 2011, he made so many finals but had one guy stopping him.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As usual the obsessed Nadal haters turn the thread into a tardfest.

Nadal's 2011 level was nowhere near 2010 or 2008, not even close. Even Federer outplayed him for periods at RG and mopped the floor with him at the WTF.

Nadal never seems on top of his game at #1 but anyway let's try and get back on topic.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
4th French title in a row made him the king of clay.
Stopped Fed's winning flow at wim is also great.
He became world no 1 for the first time after a fantastic summer at Beijing Olympics.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Murray's best game-wise was from Cinci-2008 to Cinci-2009 despite his results on slams. He had to deal with peakdull, good federer, Djokovic, Delpo,Sodeling some good veterans. He was playing crap in USO12 compared to USO08.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
He looked more unbeatable for me in 2005 :)
Fair enough, it was a phenomenal year for him as well. 2005-2007 was just insane stuff :worship:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Murray's best game-wise was from Cinci-2008 to Cinci-2009 despite his results on slams. He had to deal with peakdull, good federer, Djokovic, Delpo,Sodeling some good veterans. He was playing crap in USO12 compared to USO08.
True if Murray played the slams as well as he played those masters then he surely would have been a slam champion much earlier.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Off course his offensive game was better,but defensive was much worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts