Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the tennis historians, what do you consider to be the best moments, rivalry, player, matches etc. from this era of tennis? I've always been fascinated by these guys, with their unique talents and would like to learn more.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I would say that the Borg–Connors rivalry was the best of the 1970s. This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

The tennis players Björn Borg and Jimmy Connors met 23 times during their careers according to the ATP website, and 42 times including invitational and exhibition tournaments.

In 1975 Connors met Borg in the semifinals of the U.S. Open and defeated him in straight sets, on clay. Connors defeated Borg again at the U.S. Open again in 1976, this time in a four-set final, capturing his second U.S. Open title. In 1977 they met in the Wimbledon final, and Borg won in five sets. Borg defeated Connors at Wimbledon again in the 1978 final, this time in straight sets, to claim his third straight Wimbledon title. Two months later, Connors defeated Borg at the U.S. Open in a straight-set final on a hard surface "DecoTurf II", ending Borg's 43-match winning streak. In 1979 they met at Wimbledon again, and Borg won a straight-set semifinal. In 1981 Borg, defeated Connors in a five-set semifinal at Wimbledon and a straight-set semifinal at the U.S. Open, his tenth consecutive win against Connors. Soon afterwards Borg retired from the regular tour. They faced each other three times at the season-ending Masters Championship in New York City: in January 1978 (ending the 1977 season), January 1980 (ending the 1979 season) and January 1981 (ending the 1980 season). Connors won the first meeting, Borg the latter two.

Borg leads 15–8 in their official head-to-head, 8–5 in finals, 5–3 in Grand Slam meetings and they are 2–2 in Grand Slam finals. They also met many times in unofficial invitational and exhibition tournaments with Connors leading 7–3 and 8–1 respectively in those matches.
I remember watching both the 1977 and 1978 Wimbledon finals. Great days!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Lendl came kinda after the other 3. He had a rivalry with Mac, but didn't play at the same time of Borg and only played with a declining Connors (who happened to play for a very long time but was after his best during that period). Borg vs Mac is probably the most defining rivalry between those 4, they had several massive clashes, that Wimbledon final in particular which is considered the biggest match of the 20th century with Borg winning in 5 after wasting tons of MPs in the 4th (5 titles in a row, which nobody was able to match). Then McEnroe had his revenge the following year.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lendl came kinda after the other 3. He had a rivalry with Mac, but didn't play at the same time of Borg and only played with a declining Connors (who happened to play for a very long time but was after his best during that period). Borg vs Mac is probably the most defining rivalry between those 4, they had several massive clashes, that Wimbledon final in particular which is considered the biggest match of the 20th century with Borg winning in 5 after wasting tons of MPs in the 4th (5 titles in a row, which nobody was able to match). Then McEnroe had his revenge the following year.
Yeah the Borg McEnroe final 1980 I have seen parts of, I love the differences between Borg and McEnroe in their style of play, that McEnroe serve was special, but Borg's versatility, style and ground strokes would make me a fan of his back then. I just wish Borg had stuck around beyond 81, he was still at the top of his game.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I missed watching Borg- he had retired by the time I first watched tennis, but there was a great rivalry with Connors in the 70s, particularly at Wimbledon and US, Borg dominating at Wimbledon and Connors at US including an important victory when the US was briefly played on the clay courts.The rivalry with Mc Enroe was fascinating, and well know, but brief, as Borg lost motivation after the 81 Wimbledon and US losses and retired soon after. Less well known is the Borg-Lendl rivalry, which Borg dominated including winning the French in 1981- Lendl playing a great match himself, but Borg prevailed in 5 sets.

The Connors-McEnroe-Lendl rivalry was very intense and this was also because they hated the sight of each other. Connors and McEnroe were proper bad boys ranting and raving often, considered the umpire as their worst enemy, and neither of them considered Lendl as a worthy rival. Lendl was a man of steel, let his racket talk most of the time, though he did have his moments on the court when he used to have a few words with the umpire. Both Connors and McEnroe dominated Lendl initially, but Lendl was the more consistent over a period of time, and came back with memorable victories- he was number 1 for 270 weeks which tells something. Connors beating McEnroe at Wimbledon 1982 in a thrilling 5 set was the first tennis match I ever watched and will stay in my memory for ever. McEnroe had his revenge in 1984 when he thrashed Connors 6-1,6-1,6-2. Lendl beating McEnroe in the French in 84, after McEnroe was 2-0 up in sets, and a break up in the 4th is one of the best matches ever. It was Lendl's first ever slam, and one of the rare defeat for McEnroe in 84- he lost something like 3 matches that year. The Connors-McEnroe- Lendl rivalry was the fiercest at USO where Connors beat Lendl in 82 and 83 and McEnroe beat Lendl in 84, before finally Lendl beating McEnroe in 85 to claim his first USO.

There was another interesting rivalry of those days- the Lendl-Wilander one. Lendl dominated it, but Wilander had some important wins, particularly in 1985 FO, Lendl winning in 84 and 87- the 87 one being the best match. Wilander beat Lendl at 83 AO when it was played on grass. Lendl met Wilander a few times at US, earlier on in their career, crushing Wilander in straight sets, but Wilander won the most important one- the 88 finals, which according to me remains the best USO final in the open era.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts