Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, the foundation of what makes sports entertaining to watch is the stories that are created. In essence, all sports (including tennis) are like soap operas. The melodrama and atmosphere that is created in an individual sport like tennis makes the sport feel more personal. It gives competitors characters and symbolizes them as warriors fighting on their own in the heat of battle to achieve their life ambition.

But in tennis, the story at the top of the game has been playing out for more than 15 years. And what is that story? the ultimate claim of being the greatest tennis player of all time. Now, this is a fun and epic story to witness. But this story has been going around in a vicious circle to the extent where the more and more these players achieve the less and less their greatest achievements actually matter. It’s becoming more clear that the greatness of these 3 players are becoming interconnected with each other. Most people will be able to see from a distance that these 3 players have taken the sport to another level. But truthly the battle for who is the undisputed GOAT died years ago on numerous occasions. When Roger won his first French Open and then won Wimbledon to overtake Sampras’s 14 slams. When Rafa won a record 9 French Open’s (which would still be the most amount of titles a male singles player has won at one specific slam tournament) and also drew Sampras’s slam count. And when Djokovic won an incredible 4 slams in a row and his 12th slam by winning the French Open for the first time, completing the CGS. All these 3 achievements solidified these 3 as all time greats.

But for the past 12 slams, what has been achieved? 3, 4, 5 more major titles? They don’t have anything to prove. The only thing they are continuing is the deluded battle for the ultimate status of being the greatest player all time. I think it’s pretty obvious that all 3 of them are pretty great. The battles between them may have been interesting 8, 9 years ago but that’s when they had more to prove. Especially on Nadal and Djokovic’s behalf when they were trying to catch up with Roger. The only thing that has been achieved over the past 2, 3 years is the inflation of their ego’s. Is that fun to watch? NO!. It’s only fun for fans that still buy in to the GOAT debate like their lives depend on it.

The only good slam that happened was the AO 2017 which came as a surprise to see Roger and Rafa back after the struggles they had. To win epic 5 setters then face each other for the first time in a slam final for 6 years was pretty exciting and it ultimately delivered with Federer overcoming his demons against Nadal in an epic 5 setter. Since then though there has been no joy whatsoever in seeing one of them win a slam. It feels like even winning a slam to them isn’t a big deal. It’s gotten to a point where fans don’t even care about tournaments outside of the slams because all they care about is this meaningless race for who wins the most slams.

Slams aren’t even that important! The AO gained the prestige it has now as late as the early 90’s. Before that the game was much more surface oriented. Not only that but for a large portion of the games history pro players were banned from even playing slams. It’s pretty obvious Rod Laver would’ve won 20+ had he been able to play in them. Seeing Djokovic win the AO this year really did nothing other than drag him closer to Roger and Rafa but once again at this stage of their careers whether they have 18, 19, 20 or 21 slams there isn’t much of a difference. I want to see new players solidify themselves at the top of the game and for new battles and rivalries to emerge. Unfortunately though, that is ruined because big 3 fans ONLY care about GOAT status. Who cares if Thiem wins a French Open for the first time? Nadal has 12. A new player emerges and wins 8 slams in his career (which is an incredible achievement)? Completed it mate.

Truthly, I guess you could say it’s not the big 3 who have straight out ruined tennis. They have taken it to another level as previously mentioned. After all, they are a big part of the story of tennis as a whole. But they have ruined what matters most in tennis. I believe that it isn’t being the ultimate GOAT that matters but it’s the respect for the sport as a whole. NO PLAYER will ever transcend tennis itself. There will be GOAT’s that will come and go but ultimately the rivalries, the battles and the emotions will be the things that unite the sport. But I fear fans are starting to lose this to their ego’s which have become intrinsically linked with the achievements of 3 players of whom grew up watching tennis themselves not as god’s but as mortals…

R.I.P tennis

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Couldn't agree more. When the big 3 finally start to fade their obnoxious fanboys will linger still. For at least a decade forward all great tennis achievements will be devalued by these fanboys whining about weak era bullshit. Thank god for Wawrinka for at least momentarily shaking things up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Absolutely agree. They have to go now. I was downing three pints and I was still nervous during the AO final because I desperately wanted Thiem to win. Big 3 are going to play until they no longer believe that they can win slams so other players must start beating them. In slams. In slam finals. But it is a massive mental barrier. How do you believe in yourself in a tight final if you have never won a slam before and your opponent has 16+? Had it been any other occasion than a slam final then Thiem would never have lost to Novak the other day. And I also agree that tennis is not only about the slams. Other tournaments and ranking is important to me too and I love to follow Any ATP event. Even Pune?

·
Registered
980 Posts
So, instead of enjoying this high level of play you prefer those players the big 3 dominate so much to win instead? The tour would be in a worse place without them, its up to the competition to step up.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Are Ferrari Maserati Porsche Rolls Royce or Bentley ruined Car Industry ?

Excellence is something which attract crowds....

In Western world, from the 80ies, crowds have quitted watching tennis and hopefully incredible Big3 achievements attracted medias and slowed crowds leaving.

I can understand you want brand new names for the sake of the very sport but with no crowd no sponsor and with no sponsor no circuit.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Annual "big3 ruined tennis" thread.And lol at this
"I want to see new players solidify themselves at the top of the game and for new battles and rivalries to emerge. Unfortunately though, that is ruined because big 3 fans ONLY care about GOAT status."
So youngsters mentally weak because of Big3 tards?LOL
Do u remember AO12?When Rafa and NOLE both played around 12 hours in sf and f?So,what did exactly bothering Thiem at his physical peak when he was 2-1 against 33 y.o Nole and couldn't finished him?Nole was there for the taking.It is just example....It is not BIG3's problem that even at 30++ they are still BETTER.If youngsters are afraid of playin against guys with 16++ slams and don't believe in themselves,well,they better hang their rackets up

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Annual "big3 ruined tennis" thread.And lol at this

So youngsters mentally weak because of Big3 tards?LOL
Do u remember AO12?When Rafa and NOLE both played around 12 hours in sf and f?So,what did exactly bothering Thiem at his physical peak when he was 2-1 against 33 y.o Nole and couldn't finished him?Nole was there for the taking.It is just example....It is not BIG3's problem that even at 30++ they are still BETTER.If youngsters are afraid of playin against guys with 16++ slams and don't believe in themselves,well,they better hang their rackets up
This post is a good example of big 3 tardism at it's finest. Glorifying the achivements of the big 3 then suggesting that everybody else is mentally weak and not worthy. The day when the dominator dethrones Nadal at the French Open will be the greatest day ever. It'll be so good I might be reduced to tears of happiness.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Rafa can barely cover the court on his FH side and has now begin DF-ing at crucial moments

Roger shanks every fourth forehand and can't hang from the back of the court with John Millman.

Novak scoops dozens of FHs wide during the latter stages of his best tournament, and goes mentally walkabout because of a strop with the umpire.

The Big 3 are desperately trying to pass the baton, and the younger players keep dropping it.

A 20-year-old Lleyton Hewitt could win 3 slams per year in this era.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Respectfully disagree. The Big 3 have definitely taken tennis to a new level in this era and have given us a lot of incredible matches. The race for greatness between them has also given tennis a lot more media attention and exposure, keeping it relevant on the world stage of sports. There will be a significant void left to fill when they retire, so it's actually a positive that they've continued to dedicate themselves to the sport well in their 30s.

Of course it's natural to want to see new stars emerge, and plenty of people feel that the Big 3 have overstayed their welcome. But to say that they are "ruining tennis" is simply not true. And regarding Big 3 fans and their egos, this is nothing new and happens in every sport with the biggest stars. Are Messi and Ronaldo ruining football as well?

I've noticed that no matter the state of the tour, someone will always have something negative to say. When there are a few elite players at the top winning everything, it's boring and there's no competition. When there are several players who can compete for the big titles, then they say that the tour has no consistency and we need real stars to emerge. Just look at the WTA right now, which is basically the polar opposite of ATP. The old guard has faded and several talented young players are now competing for the big titles. And what do people say? That the WTA is a mess right now and needs to get a consistent champion.

Finally, not every Big 3 fan is only obsessed with the Big 3 and the GOAT discussion. I'm sure many Big 3 fans want to see new players emerge, but of course they also wouldn't mind seeing their favourite win a few more slams if they can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, instead of enjoying this high level of play you prefer those players the big 3 dominate so much to win instead? The tour would be in a worse place without them, its up to the competition to step up.
Yes, their standard of play is very high. I'm sure most people are aware... Granted what they've done for the sport is great, but at this stage the story of who will become the GOAT is tiresome.

Not like Thiem and Medvedev can't play at a high level either.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
They'e definitely destroying it long term. Were probably gonna have a Long Decade of "2002 type years" and loss of millions of viewers when the Big 3 are gone. No one can stay consistent for even a year anymore.

The game continued on because new guys stepped up and kicked the old guard out. Not let them retire gracefully

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Yep, tennis is dying as no other player, past or future, receives/will receive a googolplexth of the respect their tennis skills get; in simple terms, everyone else is already commonly regarded as a weak mug, and it's not that fun to watch mugs duke it out.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Finally some worthy thread. 100% agreed with the OP. Get the fuck out of here grandpas!
The only one who has to get out of here and go right now is Roger Federer. He is the real grandpa.

Djodal are still young enough to dominate the tour. May they be blessed with many more titles.

Funny how no one was complaining when Federror was winning his last three Grand Slam titles during Djokovic merciful absence, so that the Djoker could be even more motivated and not simply overroll Grandpas laughable slamcout, which he equalled now. the old one of course which used to be unreachable for a very long time in the eyes of many scared losers.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
This post is a good example of big 3 tardism at it's finest. Glorifying the achivements of the big 3 then suggesting that everybody else is mentally weak and not worthy. The day when the dominator dethrones Nadal at the French Open will be the greatest day ever. It'll be so good I might be reduced to tears of happiness.
ahahahaha

What a retard,god...
Funny how no one was complaining when Federror was winning his last three Grand Slam titles during Djokovic merciful absence, so that the Djoker could be even more motivated and not simply overroll Grandpas laughable slamcout, which he equalled now. the old one of course which used to be unreachable for a very long time in the eyes of many scared losers.
THIS ++++
This fraudtard clown pretend like he cares about new blood and other stuff.Instead,he would be fine with 40-15rer still winning everything.But we all know he scared out of shit because Djodal going to break poor Rogie's records :(
Fraudtards,so insecure,so predictable....

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Honestly I couldn’t agree more and I’m guilty as well of thinking too much about the GOAT debate. I’m honestly tired of the same 3 and at this point really 2 people winning slams every time. So goddamn boring. Even if the quality gets a little worse, seeing different people winning is what makes it interesting. The big 3 legacies are interesting at first but the argument has been going on for years and years and it’s very tiresome at this point. Even if that means Federer is gone, I’m ready for a change.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Other way to look at it:

May be the big3 are punishing, taking advantage, showing the world how weak the next generations are coming .

I noticed a devaluation of learning, a conformity, a careless attitude, a defiance to the usefulness of information and its immediate result, how volatile (?) and temporarily targeted is knowleadge.

Just may be

1 - 20 of 67 Posts