Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonderfully put phrase by Argentinian commentarist and former player José Luis Clerc referring about the lack of Slam winners outside the big 3, at least in recent times, so far it seems they want to stay outside.

Last game of today's final by Thiem was awful, I guess he entered the match thinking that he wasn't going to win or something, no guts at all, Massu is probably furious.

"Fortune favors the brave" I thought about this quote after Thiem's win vs Nadal, he played with huge balls, today he didn't play brave, he played like a coward. Dissapointing.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Actually the big 3 rarely open any doors... Djokovic opens them occasionally, Federer and Nadal are usually very reliable to sweep weaker opposition in slam finals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Who would step on the court without thinking he doesn't stand a chance? He shouldn't play in the first place then. I'm sure Thiem had the belief that he would win tonight, but he ended up overwhelmed by the occasion. It doesn't mean he knew he couldn't win when he started the match. He simply needed an experience like this to get strong enough to win a major title. He will win one or more eventually. It will be a matter of time considering the level he has shown throughout the fortnight. He has proven he can beat anyone when his game is on. Against Djokovic, he was completely dominating in the 2nd and 3rd sets. He had to overcome the nerves that came from the fact that he was fighting for the change of the guard, of which he fell short. Which doesn't mean he isn't cut out to be a champion. Mark my words. He will win one sooner rather than later.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
453 Posts
Actually the big 3 rarely open any doors... Djokovic opens them occasionally, Federer and Nadal are usually very reliable to sweep weaker opposition in slam finals.
Djokovic only opens them when he's sulking, frustrated and clowning around. Which is quite often. As soon as he stops, he closes them. Usually by resorting to dirty tactics

·
Premium Member
29,535 Posts
How did Thiem not play brave?
Wut? He got nervous and started to make double faults and terrible errors in several crucial games during the match. Late in the first set, late in the fourth set. It was painfully obvious it was about nerves. He choked against Nadal too, was very lucky to pull that one out. Today, the only thing Thiem did that might be considered "brave" was continuing to go for his shots even when they weren't working (like the backhand dtl). Though a less generous soul might call that strategy stupid instead of brave.

·
Registered
20,414 Posts
How did Thiem not play brave?
did you not see his return stance on a predictably super slow second at BP in the 5th? it was quite disgusting.

over-used the slice

too gutless to play a disciplined pass that forces Djokovic to hit a volley and maybe would engage him in a second pass, went for the low percentage all-out shot to get it over with

·
Premium Member
29,535 Posts
Also, although I understand the point of OP's quote, "open the door" sounds like an exaggeration. Open doors for others is not what big 3 tend to do. Maybe that expression makes more sense in spanish.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wut? He got nervous and started to make double faults and terrible errors in several crucial games during the match. Late in the first set, late in the fourth set. It was painfully obvious it was about nerves. He choked against Nadal too, was very lucky to pull that one out. Today, the only thing Thiem did that might be considered "brave" was continuing to go for his shots even when they weren't working (like the backhand dtl). Though a less generous soul might call that strategy stupid instead of brave.
Fair. I guess my understanding of brave in this context may have been flawed. By brave, I just thought he meant trying to go for it and be aggressive as opposed being confident in crunch time.

I'm always wary of analysis by ex players of any sport. Not always the case but sometimes It just feels like they say stuff that sounds good but without any actual insight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts