Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trully hope that Guga will come back into the top 10, he's not at his right rank today. I'm one of his biggest fan here in France and we were all very sad when Guga lost to Robredo in Roland Garros.
Concerning JCF, come on, he's absolutely not the king of the clay, how many titles did he win this year on clay ??? when Guga was at his best on clay in 2001 nobody could beat him. JC is a pretentious boy who's sure he's going to become number 1. His dream is to win RG again beating Guga in the final but he's nothing compare to Guga for the French. Guga has got a great personality whereas Juanqui is cold...
Anyway let's see what Guga will do in LA, Montreal, Cincinnati and the US OPEN. This guy has a great talent, he deserves (and Federer ;) ) so much more than Hewitt or JC to become number 1.
I'm really longing to see Guga in Paris Bercy's Master !!!

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Yes when Guga and Muster played the best they won almost everything on clay. This year RG was really boring for me. I just couldn't watch Coria , Costa, Ferrero or Robredo :fiery:

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
I hope so much to see Guga beat either Ferrero or Coria or Moya on clay next year, just to prove everybody that he's the best again!!!! and of course win tournaments, he really need it!!!!

GO GUGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
This post is an 100% on. JC is a great clay courter but no king. Like Hewitt the charity bowl was passed to JC when Guga got hurt. I do want Guga to win at least one more RG. That would put him in a league of only 3 players. I forget the name of the guy who won 4 but after that is just Borg at 6. I want him to win that and the US Open. I do think his results at Oz will improve greatly too.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Yayou said:
Concerning JCF, come on, he's absolutely not the king of the clay, how many titles did he win this year on clay ??? when Guga was at his best on clay in 2001 nobody could beat him. JC is a pretentious boy who's sure he's going to become number 1. His dream is to win RG again beating Guga in the final but he's nothing compare to Guga for the French. Guga has got a great personality whereas Juanqui is cold...
Anyway let's see what Guga will do in LA, Montreal, Cincinnati and the US OPEN. This guy has a great talent, he deserves (and Federer ;) ) so much more than Hewitt or JC to become number 1.
I'm sorry, but this can not be left without comment. Fan forums are a place to discuss a player, in which case the attack I'm about to unleash on your distasteful, bitter post, is totally acceptable.

First off, let me make clear that i think that Guga in his prime was better than Ferrero has showed us so far. Let me also make clear, that Ferrero is 23, and I don't believe he'll hit his prime for another year or two.

Now, there are two things horribley wrong with your arguement that when Guga was at this beat on clay in 2001 nobody could beat him. Total horseshit, that is.

1) Ferrero beat him in Rome 2001. It was a great match, and Guga played very well. I was on the edge of my seat, pacing back and forth the entire time. Before the match, Ferrero actually admitted that he was pretty sure he thought Guga would win! Well, Guga didn't win. Guga lost, in 2001, when he was in his prime, to JCF on clay. There were times in the match Guga was not his best, and I argue that this is because Ferrero was just too good that day. Much like Guga was simply too good in the RG semis that year. The RG semis were not Ferrero's best, but it didn't matter - Guga just wouldn't let him get into any sort of a groove.

2) Guga was in his prime in 2001. Ferrero was 21. Ferrero has not hit his prime even now. So your arguement that Guga was greater than Ferrero when he was in his prime and Ferrero was still developing, is true. But irrelevant. It does nothing to prove that NOW in 2003, Guga would be greater than Ferrero if not for the injuries.

It's funny... back when Ferrero was making his annual RG exits with a loss to Guga in the semis, a lot of Ferrero fans were pretty bitter. They said things that sounded about as bitter as what you have here. I couldn't understand what the deal was. Sure I didn't like that he lost, but I accepted that for whatever reasons (age, experience, time will tell if it's talent) Guga was simply the best player on clay at that time. Why is it so hard for you guys to now do the same for JCF? No amount of pissing and moaning is going to change that he got injured.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I should also add that despite all Guga's injuries, in Ferrero's mind, Guga is "the man to beat" on clay. He quite obviously has an enormous amount of respect for Guga, just like you guys do. If he was arrogant and shot his mouth off about him, I would understand all this bitterness towards him. But frankly, in light of reality (something a couple of you need to be acquainted with) it's pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
JC is very respectful to Guga, but in 01 Guga was in the Rome final and the week before he won Monte Carlo all while nursing a groin injury which later turned out to be an hip injury. Winning two back to back clay masters is very very tough, hell winning one is tough. JC should know cause he lost the next week in hamburg to Portas in a 5 setter. JC has improved but he is not at Guga's level. Guga is simply a better player. Jc will improve and I think he might win Oz one year and that would be great, but It will be a damn shame if Guga is never able to come back but I think he will. Guga's hip injury took a lot away from him including his number one ranking and I am just glad real tennis fans know their stuff unlike the media.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Dirk - The media is not very reliable for tennis news, "real" fans know this. However to say that all of JCF's success has been based primarily on Guga's injury is horseshit. And any "real" fan of the sport should know that. The injury took a lot away from Guga - it did not hand things out to other guys on a silver platter.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Oh I disagree, Guga had so many more points than hewitt. Hell if he was healthy he might have beaten Kafel and I thin Guga would have messed up Hewitt in the semis the same way he did that summer during RCA. Hewitt only got to number one because of the injury. JC is a great clay courter and won clay titles while guga was around and in great form so I wouldn't take anything away from him not even his RG title but Guga would have had 01 RG no question he only lost cause his body was not ready for the long matches. Guga will be back mark my words. :) I am happy for JC though.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Hewitt won the USO that year, and a number of other titles. Guga's injury made it easier for him, no doubt. But he earned it. I like Guga far more than I like Hewitt, and can say that.

I don't doubt that Guga will be back, btw. But I do believe his best results are going to be on hardcourt from now on.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Guga had too many points over everyone, now way Hewitt would have caught up even if he was ok and lost to Hewitt. I think Guga's problem this year on clay was his mind, his confidence. He did have a lower back problem during his Tommy match but I do think we will see the real king of clay return next year. I do think his hardcourt results this summer will be good. Hewitt got handed the ranking, he is not number one material the same way Courier wasn't. His timing was his best and when real number one game players step up the imposters fall.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Sorry, but if you think Hewitt's an imposter and that he was lucky to get the no. 1 ranking instead of earning it, you're living in a dreamworld. He's unquestionably a better player than Kuerten on hardcourts, I reckon he would have beaten him in the US Open semis no matter how physically fit Kuerten was.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Sjengster said:
Sorry, but if you think Hewitt's an imposter and that he was lucky to get the no. 1 ranking instead of earning it, you're living in a dreamworld. He's unquestionably a better player than Kuerten on hardcourts, I reckon he would have beaten him in the US Open semis no matter how physically fit Kuerten was.
That, and it's awfully impressive for a "pretender" to hold on to the top spot for 70 some odd weeks.

I don't even like Hewitt and am being forced to defend him. Please, make it stop!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
re

I would give guga the edge but even if he had lost to him, he never would have gotten enough points to over take an healthy guga. To say he has more of an number one game and talent over Guga is absurd. Hewitt though a good shotmaker is a scrapper with a blue collar game who scares people with his "run Forest run" tennis. The sport lost a truly credible and classy number one and he was replaced by an crass less gifted much less actually imposter. Hewitt on paper got the ranking but I am still dumbfounded by people who seem to think of hewitt as more of an legit number one than Guga. Had Hewitt had that injury he be done, never see him again, but since Guga is such a tennis god he has a chance to make a comeback.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Re: re

"Blue-collar game" - huh? What on earth does that have to do with anything? One of the things that makes tennis so great is that success isn't predicated on players' talent alone - if it were then Rios, Malisse, Arazi, Grosjean et al would have won multiple Slams and be dominating tennis. That's why I credit and respect Hewitt for getting to the top with his type of retrieving tennis, which may not be as exciting and varied but it gets the job done. He's every bit as deserving a no. 1 as Kuerten was, and if he wins one more Grand Slam he'll go down in the record books as an equally great player.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Oh I agree, tennis champions have to be steely strong in both mind, body, and game. Hewitt is all of that but if there is a weak link its his game. Nobody just wants to admit it, Guga's hip injury led to hewitt's 01 success. I do think Hewitt has a better shot at being number one at this point than Guga, but I do see alot more titles in guga's future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts