Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen a few 3-Slam seasons recently. But which one was really the best?
I say it's the player who accumulated the most points.

The ATP points double in 2009 (2000 for a Slam instead of 1000; 1000 for a Masters series instead of 500) so I adjusted Federer's total in 2006 and 2007 by doubling his point total.

Djokovic 2011: 13,475 (possibly up to 14,975 after the Masters)
Nadal 2010: 12,450
Federer 2007: 14,360
Federer 2006: 16,740

So Federer in 2006 had the best season, Djokovic in 2011 has a chance to take second if he wins the WTF in London, then 2007 Fed and finally 2010 Nadal.

What did I miss?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I missed Fed 2004 who had 6,335 points x 2 = 12,670.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You missed something else... the points weren't just doubled.

It was 1000 points GS win, 700 points GS final, 450 points semi.

Now its 2000, 1200, 720.

So you can't just double Federer's points from 2006; you get more than it really was.

It would be better to actually take Fed's results from 2006 and just use the today's scoring system. However, I'm too lazy to do that now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yeah, I did a quick adjustment, not good enough then. Has anyone actually done the math, as LawrenceofTennis seems to imply this has been done before?

Also wondering who's held the most points at a single time? Perhaps that's the most dominant tennis player.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
No need to recalculate, it's obviously Nadal's :p

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I did a quick adjustment, not good enough then. Has anyone actually done the math, as LawrenceofTennis seems to imply this has been done before?

Also wondering who's held the most points at a single time? Perhaps that's the most dominant tennis player.
I've seen the comparison done across titles won, matches won/lost, but I can't remember seeing total points with adjustments made - but I may have missed that <shrug>

·
Registered
823 Posts
Also wondering who's held the most points at a single time?
Federer.

The interesting thing is whether you should calculate todays point in the old format or the old point in todays format because you don't get necessarily get the same results. It's a moot point though because I think Federer leads no matter how you calculate it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's probably still Federer 2006. He's the only one who reached the final of the Slam he didn't win (French Open), plus he won the WTF and 4 Masters titles (IW / Miami / Canada / Madrid) and 2 finals (Monaco, Rome).

·
Registered
823 Posts
Also Nadal 2010 isn't really in the discussion. In fact I think Nadal's highest ever points total was just after Indian Wells '09.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Federer 2006 is clearly #1. Then a case could be made for Federer 2007 season or Djokovic's 2011 season (pending the WTF). Then I'd place Federer's 2004 season over Nadal's 2010.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Golubev 2011

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Nadal's is the weakest in 2010...worst competition ever....his US Open draw was a joke ....Novak was shit the entire year along with Murray and Fed...We had Ljubicic and Roddick winning IW and Miami and stuff........his Wimbledon was also a joke with Berdych who folded and Soderling and Jurgen in RG so no Rafa's 2010 was weak

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Novak 2011>>> all. 10-1 over Fedal. The most masters, 3 slams etc. Fed's 2006 is close but Nole's is more impressive when you factor in the Fedal h2h (Nadal in his prime, he was a few years prior to his prime in 2006), masters, and equal slam count. The only thing that could stop Nole was injuries.. Because no other player could.

2006 was a very dominant year for Fed but was a SHIT year in terms of competition. Roddick going downhill from a few years prior, Hewitt going downhill, Nadal still just a greenhorn and pretty crappy outside of clay etc. Crap like Davydenko, Ljubicic, Baghaditis, and the rest of the clowns hanging around. Safin and Nalbandian MIA

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Federer 2004/2006/2007 and probably the best with Djokovic 2011 next and Nadal 2010 in last. However, all are great years and none should be diminished that much by another, when it is a a tournament or two difference between them

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I finally figured out who SetSampras reminds me of: the boy who stood on the burning deck.. :haha:

Reactions: GOAT = Fed

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
ROFL.. Lets put 2011 Djokovic into Fed's place 2006 and see what results he has. He EASILY gets the calendar slam that year. If all he has to worry about is clay king Rafa who sucks everywhere else. Or declined Hewitt or Roddick or Davydenko or Ljubcic etc.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
ROFL.. Lets put 2011 Djokovic into Fed's place 2006 and see what results he has. He EASILY gets the calendar slam that year. If all he has to worry about is clay king Rafa who sucks everywhere else. Or declined Hewitt or Roddick or Davydenko or Ljubcic etc.
Except that to get the RG title, you actually have to play the final - and only in fairy tale ifa, coulda and shoulda land, can any match not actually played be assured of a wished for outcome.

For instance, I'm sure if the 2001 match between Fed and Sampras had not actually taken place, all like now you'd be trying to convince us that "had they met", Pete would have won it at a canter. Luckily, that match did take place in reality, and not in if, coulda, shoulda land.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Novak 2011>>> all. 10-1 over Fedal. The most masters, 3 slams etc. Fed's 2006 is close but Nole's is more impressive when you factor in the Fedal h2h (Nadal in his prime, he was a few years prior to his prime in 2006), masters, and equal slam count. The only thing that could stop Nole was injuries.. Because no other player could.

2006 was a very dominant year for Fed but was a SHIT year in terms of competition. Roddick going downhill from a few years prior, Hewitt going downhill, Nadal still just a greenhorn and pretty crappy outside of clay etc. Crap like Davydenko, Ljubicic, Baghaditis, and the rest of the clowns hanging around. Safin and Nalbandian MIA
federer is in decline since 2010 , the only true rival of nole is nadal, because the rest of the field( without nadal and decline federer) is patetic, worst than in previous years , this top-10 and 2010 top-10 were patetic with many mugs like melzer,monfils or almugro!!!!

only 1 player or maybe two is stroger season???

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
2 things that only need said:

4 GS Finals

92-5

you mean declined Roddick who has a winning record over Nole :lol:

1 - 20 of 218 Posts