Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I usually don't announce my Best Player Award until at least after Roland Garros, and it usually covers a period of at least 5-6 months, but 2014 allowed for an exception.

Stan Wawrinka, aka Stan the Man, Stanimal, Iron Stan, is far and away my Best Player during 2014/2015. I'm sure some pundits will say wait until the end of the year to make such pronouncements. Wait? Wait for what? No matter how he or anyone else does the rest of the season, he has already made a tremendous impact on the game. Helped to overcome his well established weaknesses by the Coach of the Year, Magnus Norman, most of them having to do with mental strength and fitness, he has developed into the most formidable and dangerous player when he plays his best tennis.

His impact is clear. He has upset the status quo, the "Big 4" dominance. In 2014, he became the Swiss #1. He became #1 in the Race To London rankings. He is now 3rd in the 2015 race. He believes that if he plays his best tennis, he can beat anyone in the game. He has given so much hope to others and set the example for players like Marin Cilic to believe they can win. Many other non-"Big 4" players have said that Stan has given them the belief that if they play their best, that they too can beat the elite in the game. There is no doubt in my mind that other players like Ferrer and Almagro, and Fognini in 2015, have profited by Stan continuing to beat Rafa. Stan rebounded from the inevitable letdown of winning his first major to win his first Masters 1000 tournament, and just days ago, has won his second major, this time on clay at prestigious Roland Garros. Does any player want to see the Stanimal playing at his electrifying best in their part of the draw?

Wawrinka with Coach of the Year Magnus Norman (far right), and team

Stan's serve has become a real weapon for him in the clutch, his backhand a legend in his own time. His fearsome forehand is better than ever. His does not fear to approach the net like many players of today with his good volleying skills. But his area of real improvement has been in his ability to alter his tactics as a match develops and arrive at the correct solution with calmness, and not be as susceptible to the negativity with which he has long been associated.

Perhaps the most important element now is that most of the top players fear his improved strength and fortitude, which appears to have the power to frustrate and force even the mightiest players to extend themselves past their physical limits to cope with him.

As an admirer of the great Rafael Nadal and many of the other players he beat at the Australian Open, there are no asterisks to Stan's victory. The mainstream media got it wrong. He didn't beat an injured Nadal. Nadal with his fading hand blister had just finished beating Federer. It was Stan's outstanding play that sadly almost literally 'broke the back' of Nadal, and then Stan was able to finish him off. Or to put it another way, if Stan had not played so well, it is likely that he would have been unable to hurt Rafa as much as he did.

Wawrinka 'Cripples' Nadal to win Australian Open

Wawrinka 'Exhausts' Djokovic in Australian Open QF

Berdych falls to Wawrinka in Australian Open SF

Andy Murray, OBE, had back surgery following last year's US Open QF loss to Stan Wawrinka. He hasn't faced him since.

The possible exception to the above disconsolate elite is Roger Federer, who is a good friend, Davis Cup teammate, and is very happy to see Stan reach this level. Roger has done whatever he can to lift and encourage Stan. They have a mutual goal to win the Davis Cup. A strong and confident Wawrinka along side Federer will no doubt increase their chances.

Stan Wawrinka wins Monte Carlo title in all Swiss final

Davis Cup Heart

I'm still in your shadow Roger... ...I know, Stan.

Swiss Sportsman of the Year

All aboard!

Congratulations to Mr. Stan Wawrinka, the Masterclass Best Player During 2014/2015!

:) :cool:

Edited:
This now applies to 2015 as well. So he's only 3rd in the race this year. So what? Does it matter? Stan has proven to the world that when he decides to play his best, he has no equal the last 2 years running. In 2014, he took down the 2013 computer #1 and #2 players, exhausting Djokovic and injuring Nadal's back with his heavy hitting in 2014. Then in 2015 Stan has taken down computer #2 aging Federer, and the computer #1 and "invincible" odds on favorite to win Roland Garros, Novak Djokovic, breaking his streak of wins like he was breaking sticks for fun. He is Best Player during the year for the second straight year. He has no further need to prove himself, and can now rest on his laurels and need not do anything else the rest of the year, unless he feels like it. See my last post for updated pics & story. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Re: The Best Player in 2014: Stanislas Wawrinka

Point of thread cannot be found.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

he has 1 slam and a masters, we got 3 slams and 6 masters left.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

But so far he has better results than any of the other Big 4 players
Yes, but 2014 is not even close to being over. so he can't be the best player of 2014. If he means best player so far, then it's quite obvious which would be no point of opening the thread

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

And he def deserves all the respect in the world for "upsetting the Big 4 dominance". I respect every single one of the Big 4 but I am tired of seeing them win everything. Much more interesting this way

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Yes, but 2014 is not even close to being over. so he can't be the best player of 2014. If he means best player so far, then it's quite obvious which would be no point of opening the thread
Well, apart from the Big 4, I think we can pretty much say he will be the player of 2014. I doubt anyone else will be able to do what he did so far. Not even Del Potro won a Masters after he won his Slam

·
Registered
10,504 Posts

Too many pictures to be considered a thesis.

Next.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

he has 1 slam and a masters, we got 3 slams and 6 masters left.
:yeah: Normally I might agree with this sensible statement, but my second and third paragraphs explain the exception I'm making in his case.

What he has done and the impact he has made is extraordinary, and override the normal perceptions of time and space, and the order of the things. ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Too many pictures to be considered a thesis.

Next.
Perhaps, but each one tells a story in less than a thousand words. ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
23,063 Posts

Even though I am also team "too early to call", I agree there seems to be certain shift in the momentum of the tour, and Stan's win on AO contributed to it IMO. Last year, many of the Big Four have been vulnerable (although not as much as this year) -- Federer in his worst year yet, Murray having injuries on clay and post-grass, and Djokovic having some lapses against hot players (defeated by Haas, Berdych, Isner to name a few). However, Nadal who has just returned from his layoff was quite vulnerable, but surprisingly his guts (and also some choking from the players) made him quite consistent last year. That being said, he was one of the favorites to win AO. Stan however was just coming out of his career high #8, with question whether he could maintain his Top 10 position this year. A win at Chennai have helped him in his momentum going into AO, as he seems to have that champion's drive now. He really didn't want to lose as shown in his AO matches, and finally got the better of Djokovic. He didn't let that victory make him satisfied, and shown that he could beat Berdych again. The Final came where there is virtually no way that Stan could've won -- all stats were against him. Meanwhile, Nadal being a favorite have seem to quite anxious during the 1st Set, while surprisingly Stan was very calm, knowing that what is there to lose in this match. He may have defeated an injured Nadal at the end, it seem to have shown that Stan's best parts have been better than Nadal's best in this match. When people expected Nadal his 13th, what happened is Stan getting his 1st. He was quite shaky come Davis Cup, but was able to finish his rubber quite well. Next came Indian Wells -- after a very long absence, will his form be maintained? He has shown great effort with his win especially against Seppi. However, his defeat against Anderson kind of shook him off a little, as seen with his defeat also against Dolgopolov. Going into DC he has lost to Golubev too, and lost the doubles rubber -- could it be that the Slam win actually hurted him than helped? With a 2-1 deficit, losing the 1st Set, Stan has nothing to lose -- after getting that first break of serve against Kukushkin, he seemed to have found a good groove again and finished it in 4. Monte Carlo came and has shown that he was "back" as he just lost 2 games against Cilic. He may have received a walkover against Almagro, but I felt he would finished that well too. Going against Raonic was interesting, as Raonic seemed to be better on Clay this year. After losing a miniserve at the TB, he recovered well and won the Set. After that he was quite comfortable and defeated him in straights, then against Nadal conqueror Ferrer. He was really in a good mood, winning 6-1 in the 1st Set. Quite lowered his level in the 2nd, but won it in a TB. Now came the match against Federer, another tough test, as his only win was in MC. Great mental strength (and Federer quite lowering his form in 2nd) gave him the win and his first Masters. Quite an extraordinary achievement in this period where four players share the big titles -- and lately just two -- and he had shown that it is possible to win against these players with other players following suit.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
:yeah: Normally I might agree with this sensible statement, but my second and third paragraphs explain the exception I'm making in his case.

What he has done and the impact he has made is extraordinary, and override the normal perceptions of time and space, and the order of the things. ;)

Respectfully,

masterclass

I have to agree.

Unless a youngster comes out of nowhere to win a major this year.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Federer knew very well where Stan' mentality was in DC in Geneva. Stan really needs to thank Federer for defeating Kukushkin
or DC tie would has been done for Swiss. Stan admitted he does not feel at one level with Federer beside him.It is very tough
for him, that people come to see Federer not him. Okay i am sure Federer could have won MC vs Stan but knew that would kill him
Wawrinka did not play better than Tsonga vs Federer ,But Federer still remembered FO last year and up his game. Federer still has a lot of game for Stan.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Naming the best player of the year after 1/4 of slams and 1/3 of m1000s have been played... seems legit.

I'd like to see Stan win a tournament without getting a W/O and actually beating a quality/healthy opponent in the final before I jump on the Wawagon.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Federer knew very well where Stan' mentality was in DC in Geneva. Stan really needs to thank Federer for defeating Kukushkin
or DC tie would has been done for Swiss. Stan admitted he does not feel at one level with Federer beside him.It is very tough
for him, that people come to see Federer not him. Okay i am sure Federer could have won MC vs Stan but knew that would kill him
Wawrinka did not play better than Tsonga vs Federer ,But Federer still remembered FO last year and up his game. Federer still has a lot of game for Stan.
What the hell are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Naming the best player of the year after 1/4 of slams and 1/3 of m1000s have been played... seems legit.

I'd like to see Stan win a tournament without getting a W/O and actually beating a quality/healthy opponent in the final before I jump on the Wawagon.
Too bad. No one cares about what you want :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts