Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, after seeing Federer winning USOpen 2004 final against Hewitt the way he did,
I felt a new kind of player emerged,
a new type of dominance started,
a new kind of tennis unfolded before our eyes.

I have never seen a player so close to perfection as Federer was in that match (at least that was my feeling when i saw the final back then).

I was completely petrified, stupified blah-blah, by that performance.

What is your favourite match in all men's tennis history, as a player's best performance, not as a close-very-spectacular clash ?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
something quite similar in terms of "playing-so-close-to-perfection" was the way Tsonga dominated and demolished Nadal in this year's AO SF...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Federer 2007 AO Semi. I think Fed was unbeatable that day.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
tsonga vs nadal? yea he was really out there O_O

hardly best ever though

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Apart what's been said so far:

Sampras (-Moya) AO 1997 F (Moya was on fire, but Pete dismantled the defence)
Sampras (-Pioline) Wim 1997 F (Pioline said later that playing against Sampras is like having a tube against the cannon battery)
Safin (- Sampras) USO 2000 F (wow, wow and wow this backhand and everything else)
Gonzalez (- Nadal) AO 2007 QF (these shots were just insane)
Federer (- Nadal) YEC 2007 SF (a bit shaky one moment, but God Mode overall)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Lendl in the 1987 Masters Cup was untouchable.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Adler mentioned Gonzo vs Nadal in AO 2007. I would add to this a span of two matches - with Rafa and with Haas. In those two matches Gonzo had some 100 winners / 20 UEs ratio. He was hitting serves, forehands, backhands, smashes, dropshots and under the leg winners from each position.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Federer 2007 AO Semi. I think Fed was unbeatable that day.
was that the one against roddick when he was hitting clean return winners on 250 km/h serves with his backhand ? :eek: it was the best match i ever saw

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
gonzalez-haas melbourne 07

federer-roddick melbourne 07

and just for the fun of the actual score: murray - alberto martin (i think) some time last year: 6-0, 6-0, 6-1. andy was pissed when he gave that one game in the third away. :D

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
something quite similar in terms of "playing-so-close-to-perfection" was the way Tsonga dominated and demolished Nadal in this year's AO SF...
that was way too easy, all Nadal balls were landing before the service line

·
Registered
375 Posts
Federer v Roddick 2003 Wimbledon SF. And the others that have been said about Federer
Tsonga 2008 AO SF
Nadal 2006 Rome Final

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Federer has had quite a few but this is hard to quantify really because it is easy to tend toward matches in which the scoreline is severely one sided but in the case of most of these there is an element of the competition not playing great as well as the winners brilliance. There are too many which I can't choose between to mention but one nobody has said yet is Sampras win over Agassi at Wimbledon in 1999. Agassi was pretty good that match but Sampras was just awesome.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Faker's performance against Anderson in Miami.
my god, why post at all if all you say is the normal crap anyways? i can't help it but seeing the same shit over and over again kinda makes me feel like it was a good thing that you were banned from general messages. you make this place less interesting and more childish, sorry.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Federer vs Blake TMC 06
Federer vs Roddick AO 2007

1 - 20 of 82 Posts