Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best European event(s) - from your own experience

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best European tennis events to visit?

Hi everyone,

I've NEVER been to an ATP event outside of the UK, and I'm looking to branch out, next season, by attending one a little further afield. Would anyone be able to recommend one to me?

There are a few limitations on my trip:

1. I'd like to stay within Europe, if possible. I can't afford to go as far as USA/Australia, just yet. :p

2. I'm looking to launch my career next year, so I'm limited to events pre-August.

3. I'd like to do a couple of days of tennis spectating, and a couple of sightseeing...so I'd like to be in/near a location that has much to explore.

4. Obviously you can't predict the weather, but I'd like to go somewhere where it is less likely that the event sees a lot of rain (e.g. Gstaad would probably not be on the list!).

As you can see, I'm quite demanding! I'll be on a bit of a budget, so reasonable hotel prices would be a must, as well.

So, any ideas? :D

I'm currently pulling for Valencia / Estoril / Barcelona...anyone got some good words on these events? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

:wavey:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Re: The best European tennis events to visit?

Monte Carlo, Hamburg, Roland Garros

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts

Prostejov Challenger

·
Registered
11,530 Posts

Roland Garros firts your criterion (other than maybe the weather) and obviously that is the most impressive tournament.

You'd really need to give some indication of your price range because obviously a trip to Paris is going to cost a lot more than a visit to Estoril.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts

Umag :cool:
(out of MM tournaments)

Monte Carlo and Rome out of TMS.

·
Registered
73,670 Posts

Rome would be my favorite. Good weather, great tournament and excellent food.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts

The guy says he's on a budget and some people are suggesting him Monte Carlo. :lol:

·
Registered
20,932 Posts

Haha, Jez, I think you're in exactly the same situation as me. I've never been to a tourny outside the UK, in fact I've never even been to a non-grass event.

You should come with me to Buenos Aires to watch Britain take on Argentina in the Davis Cup and then stay for the Copa Telmex. ;)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

you gotta go for paris. i was there in 03 and stayed at a cheap hotel. paris has lots of hotels in every price range.

once you leave the hotel, people speak NO ENGLISH AT ALL though.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts

You can't go far wrong with Roland Garros in my opinion. Go on the first few days, and you can see most of the top players on the outside courts (WTA as well as ATP of course), and the practice courts are easily accessible for photos etc. Grounds Court tickets are reasonable if you enter the Ballot, and, of course, Paris has so much to see and do away from the tennis - shopping, sightseeing etc. Yes - Hotels in the City Centre are expensive as in any big city, but there are loads of B and B's Hostels etc to choose from too, and the metro is cheap and efficient, so you can stay out of the city centre easily and save even more money.

Monte Carlo is the most beautiful event in Europe in my opinion, and although MC itself is expensive, they run trains directly from the MCCC to Nice and Cannes during the tournament week, and there are loads of cheap Hostels etc there where you can stay.

Barcelona is a good, intimate venue, and again it's a city with lots to see and do, and some cheap accommodation.

Estoril is a lovely tournament, but if it's your first European event I wouldn't choose it. The venue is in the middle of nowhere, and a long way from both Lisbon and the centre of Estoril, and the public transport system isn't that great, so you'd end up spending a fortune on taxis.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Despite my frenchness which would make me tell you tu go to RG, I would actually say Rome, great tournament excellent food, and a huge lot of things to see in just a couple of days.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts

Probably the most corrupt tournament there is, definately a place to make you a small fortune :worship:
yes and there are many drunked british pigs :wavey:

·
Registered
32,550 Posts

Rome or Roland Garros

Rome usually has the better weather, but in Paris you'll see much more tennis with your money

1 - 20 of 74 Posts