Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was bored so I made an excel about the Masters winner, which tournament, which surface and indoors/outdoors condition. It could help choosing the greatest carpet-courter or the greatest indoors player ever on carpet and indoors (probably McEnroe :) ).

On the side there is the color codes for surfaces but I think it is mostly obvious.
The fat borders around the winners show when the tournament moved away and under the winners there is where the tournaments played/which tournament it was between 19xx-yy. This is because the tournaments are in the order they were played and not the order today. The Rome Masters and Madrid Masters switched there places in 2011 as you can see from the excel.
I am not sure about every surface because I didnt find a wiki page for every old document so be sure to contribute with fixing the mistakes (i hope there is not many).

ATP Masters winners list from 1970

Enjoy it ;)

EDIT1: Updated after IW 2015

I made a list of the masters and grand prix winners by the number of titles:
Nadal 27
Federer 23
Lendl 22
Djokovic 21
McEnroe 19
Agassi 17
Connors 17
Borg 15
Becker 13
Sampras 11
Laver 9
Murray 9
Edberg 8
Muster 8
Wilander 8
Chang 7
Nastase 7
Vilas 7
Orantes 6
Courier 5
Kuerten 5
Ríos 5
Roddick 5
Safin 5
Ferrero 4
Medvedev 4
Smith 4
Davydenko 3
Enqvist 3
Gerulaitis 3
Mecir 3
Moya 3
Aguilera 2
Ashe 2
Chesnokov 2
Coria 2
Corretja 2
Ferreira 2
Forget 2
Gómez 2
Hewitt 2
Higueras 2
Ivanisevic 2
Krajicek 2
Mancini 2
Nalbandian 2
Newcombe 2
Noah 2
Panatta 2
Rafter 2
Rosewall 2
Solomon 2
Stich 2
Tanner 2
Tsonga 2
Arias 1
Berdych 1
Bruguera 1
Canas 1
Carlsson 1
Carretero 1
Clerc 1
Costa 1
Cox 1
Dent 1
Dibbs 1
Ferrer 1
Franulovic 1
Gilbert 1
Gonzalez 1
Gorman 1
Gottfried 1
Grosjean 1
Haas 1
Henman 1
Johansson 1
Korda 1
Leconte 1
Ljubicic 1
Lutz 1
Mantilla 1
Mayer 1
McNamara 1
Mruguera 1
Norman 1
Novacek 1
Nyström 1
Okker 1
Pattison 1
Pavel 1
Pernfors 1
Philippoussis 1
Pioline 1
Portas 1
Ramírez 1
Raul Ramirez 1
Richey 1
Riessen 1
Robredo 1
Roche 1
Rusedski 1
Sanchez 1
Söderling 1
Stockton 1
Sundström 1
Van Patten 1
Wawrinka 1
Woodruff 1

I made a list Masters Grand Prix and Masters Cup winners by the number of titles (Counted WTF/TMC or whatever as well):

Federer 29
Nadal 27
Lendl 27
Djokovic 25
McEnroe 22
Agassi 18
Connors 18
Borg 17
Becker 16
Sampras 16
Nastase 11
Laver 9
Murray 9
Edberg 9
Muster 8
Wilander 8
Vilas 8
Chang 7
Orantes 7
Kuerten 6
Courier 5
Ríos 5
Roddick 5
Safin 5
Smith 5
Ferrero 4
Medvedev 4
Davydenko 4
Hewitt 4
Enqvist 3
Gerulaitis 3
Mecir 3
Moya 3
Corretja 3
Nalbandian 3
Stich 3
Aguilera 2
Ashe 2
Chesnokov 2
Coria 2
Ferreira 2
Forget 2
Gómez 2
Higueras 2
Ivanisevic 2
Krajicek 2
Mancini 2
Newcombe 2
Noah 2
Panatta 2
Rafter 2
Rosewall 2
Solomon 2
Tanner 2
Tsonga 2
Arias 1
Berdych 1
Bruguera 1
Canas 1
Carlsson 1
Carretero 1
Clerc 1
Costa 1
Cox 1
Dent 1
Dibbs 1
Ferrer 1
Franulovic 1
Gilbert 1
Gonzalez 1
Gorman 1
Gottfried 1
Grosjean 1
Haas 1
Henman 1
Johansson 1
Korda 1
Leconte 1
Ljubicic 1
Lutz 1
Mantilla 1
Mayer 1
McNamara 1
Mruguera 1
Norman 1
Novacek 1
Nyström 1
Okker 1
Pattison 1
Pavel 1
Pernfors 1
Philippoussis 1
Pioline 1
Portas 1
Ramírez 1
Raul Ramirez 1
Richey 1
Riessen 1
Robredo 1
Roche 1
Rusedski 1
Sanchez 1
Söderling 1
Stockton 1
Sundström 1
Van Patten 1
Wawrinka 1
Woodruff

^ There was a Grand Prix between Connors and Vilas which was not finished, in the excel I did not corrected it.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: The ATP Masters and Grand Prix winners from 1970.

Federer and Boredo never won Rome..

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: The ATP Masters and Grand Prix winners from 1970.

Federer and Boredo never won Rome..
Yes forget to add to the OP. That tournament is Hamburg because it changed there. The fat borders around the winners show when the tournament moved away and under the winners there is where the tournaments played between 19xx-yy. That column is not Rome it is Hamburg. This is because the tournaments are in the order they were played and not the order today. The Rome Masters and Madrid Masters switched there places in 2011 as you can see from the excel.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Re: The ATP Masters and Grand Prix winners list from 1970.

Nice work!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I updated after IW 2015

I made two complete list with every player, you can check it in the OP and in the excel, here I only copied the top 15 for obvious reasons.

I made a list of the masters and grand prix winners by the number of titles:

1. Nadal - 27 titles
2. Federer - 23 titles
3. Lendl - 22 titles
4. Djokovic - 21 titles
5. McEnroe - 19 titles
6. Agassi - 17 titles
7. Connors - 17 titles
8. Borg - 15 titles
9. Becker - 13 titles
10. Sampras - 11 titles
11. Laver - 9 titles
12. Murray - 9 titles
13. Edberg - 8 titles
13. Muster - 8 titles
13. Wilander - 8 titles

I made a list Masters Grand Prix and Masters Cup winners by the number of titles (Counted WTF/TMC or whatever as well):
Place. Name - Number of titles (Masters-YEC)

1. Federer - 29 titles (23-6)
2. Nadal - 27 titles (27-0)
2. Lendl - 27 titles (22-5)
4. Djokovic - 25 titles (21-4)
5. McEnroe - 22 titles (19-3)
6. Agassi - 18 titles (17-1)
6. Connors - 18 titles (18-1)
8. Borg - 17 titles (15-2)
9. Becker - 16 titles (13-3)
9. Sampras - 16 titles (11-5)
11. Nastase - 11 titles (7-4)
12. Laver - 9 titles (9-0)
12. Murray - 9 titles (9-0)
12. Edberg - 9 titles (8-1)
15. Muster - 8 titles (8-0)
15. Wilander - 8 titles (8-0)
15. Vilas - 8 titles (7-1)

·
Registered
4,566 Posts

So, in the end, the main Djokovic' nick name could be ATPovic or Mastersovic if he surpasses Goaterer or Claydal at Masters+WTF or if he wins golden 9 as the first player.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So, in the end, the main Djokovic' nick name could be ATPovic or Mastersovic if he dethrones Goaterer or Nadal for Masters+WTF or if he wins golden 9 as the first player.
Basically he can be the most successful player in ATP tournaments ever as Grand Slams are ITF tournaments :D

I think he need probably at least 9-10 Masters to be the number there, 8-9 Masters and WTF to overtake Federer and that is much more likely than winning the Golden 9 based on his recent performance in the USO Series.

·
Banned
923 Posts
This is a useless comparison..The 'Grand Prix' tournaments aren't a valid substitite for masters. For example in 1970 there were only 6 of them. In 1971 there were 11. In 1972 only 7. Not to mention that in the 70s the tour was split between the WCT tour and the Grand Prix tour. Some of the best players in the world didn't compete in those Grand Prix tournies. If you think that things made more sense in the early 80s you'd be wrong. For example in 1982 you only had to play 10 Grand prix tournies in total. They weren't mandatory like the masters are today.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a useless comparison..The 'Grand Prix' tournaments aren't a valid substitite for masters. For example in 1970 there were only 6 of them. In 1971 there were 11. In 1972 only 7. Not to mention that in the 70s the tour was split between the WCT tour and the Grand Prix tour. Some of the best players in the world didn't compete in those Grand Prix tournies. If you think that things made more sense in the early 80s you'd be wrong. For example in 1982 you only had to play 10 Grand prix tournies in total. They weren't mandatory like the masters are today.
Yes I know, probably going to create a database in another sheet since the 90s. The reason I did this because I was checking out if in any way we could say that Lendl won the 9 Masters and for that they are using Grand Prix.

Anyway after some work I created this database for fun, it isn't trying to be something official. :)

·
Banned
923 Posts
Lendl not only won all "9" but he won 11 different venues of these Grand prix events.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lendl not only won all "9" but he won 11 different venues of these Grand prix events.
He won 11 different that is true, but they were not successors so officially Djokovic would be the first :) But you could argue that there is not a real comparison between the two.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
He won 11 different that is true, but they were not successors so officially Djokovic would be the first :) But you could argue that there is not a real comparison between the two.
We can also stress the difference (although it's not that important) between the current venues winner and all-time e.g. Djokovic could hold all 9 masters and all current venues by winning Cinci, but if Federer wins elusive MC and Rome before, he'll be the the first winner of all 9 masters but not also the current venues (won Madrid indoor, now Shangai outdoor), the same if Nadal wins Miami and Paris (won Madrid indoor).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We can also stress the difference between the current venues winner and all-time e.g. Djokovic could win all 9 current masters venues by winning Cinci, but if Federer wins elusive MC and Rome before, he'll be the the first winner of all 9 masters but not the current venues (won Madrid indoor, now Shangai outdoor).
Federer won Shanghai last year so with MC and Rome he would win the current venues. However this is very unlikely at least.:D

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Federer won Shanghai last year so with MC and Rome he would win the current venues. However this is very unlikely at least.:D
Yep, my mistake.

I've mentioned that because on two occasions I've heard tv commentators talking about Djokovic as the first player to possibly hold all 9 masters tournaments, but in fact thinking only about the current venues because they also mentioned Agassi's 7 and Nadal's and Federer's 6 instead of 7.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
They weren't mandatory like the masters are today.
yes, that's the biggest problem by far : usually there were only 2 or 3 tournaments outside of the "Masters" (current WTF) where the participation was nearly general.

I hope you took into account the Dallas WCT finals by the way, which were very important until the beginning of the 80s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts