Mens Tennis Forums banner

801 - 820 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Merry Christmas to everyone !!

I hope you are all okay and you are having a nice christmas party :)

Maybe you received some gift ? :)

Merry Xmas again !

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
How is everyone these holidays? Hope everyone has an enjoyable Christmas.

I'm just enjoying having some time off and being able to do things that I hadn't gotten around to doing before.

And I also bought some really nice desserts and snacks.
What kind of desserts/snacks ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
What kind of desserts/snacks ? :rolleyes:
What's with the roll eyes smiley? :lol:

I got some choc-chip ice-cream and jelly, which I like to add some milk to as well to make it taste better. Probably my favourite of them all. I don't get to have ice-cream that much, my parents are more into buying things like danishes and cakes which I'm not all that into. I also got some dip, but it's not that great.

How was your Christmas?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Are there some specialties from Australia ? Because I've never heard of "dip" and "danishes". Also, when you say jelly, you mean this kind of thing : http://www.acquatofana.fr/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jelly.jpg ?
It's not the things we are used to eat here, that's for sure ;)!

My Christmas was as usual, a moment shared with the family uncle, aunt and cousin. We had a big meal with the special touch of Armenian culture.

So for desserts we had things I'm not sure you are used to eat - or possibly never heard of before :) - it's called "burma" , it looks like that : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2138/2416202679_1279feb836.jpg
And with this we had another thing called "Kurabia" which could be translated by Butter cookie : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AWGKP8BGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
It doesn't look like that at all but whatever :D

I don't know if it looks tasty to your eyes but for me it makes me hungry :lol:
Also, we had a traditional Yule log (bûche de noël), do you have the same tradition or is it specific to France ?

And now I'm enjoying the best part of it : resting ! :D

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Nope, they're not Australian things. Basically dips are just like spreads, you put them on biscuits to give it more flavour. As for jelly, you've got the right picture of it. :)

I've never heard of the things you're talking about, burma and kurabia. To me, judging from the picture, burma looks like a proper meal rather than a dessert. It looks like a better version of rice paper rolls to me. I can't tell or not from looking whether I'd enjoy eating it. :lol: The link to that second picture doesn't work.

I don't know whether a Yule log is just limited to France, but I don't know what it is myself.

Our relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) wanted to do their own thing on Christmas, so I just ended up spending it with my immediate family. It's not a big deal to me, really, just a little bit more special than a normal day, and I agree, having a break is good.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
:lol: I put "spreads" on Google image to see what it looked like and I had some kind of surprise :lol:

rice paper roll ? at least you are honest :lol:

Concerning the Yule log, it looks like it's an European tradition. But a picture speaks more than a thousand words so check : http://www.epik-art.com/upload/Image/recette/buche de noel.jpg

So I think you guessed it was a cake which looks like a wooden log. It is usually a frozen dessert and it's quiet good. :)

Too bad you couldn't see your whole family but as long as you had a good day that's fine !

And for how long are you on vacation ? Here we can rest until January 5th !
I'm using the occasion to find an internship in a foreign country for the next summer. I can't say it's a piece of cake :rolleyes:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Bah humbug, I hate Xmas.

Viken, how are the studies going_

Krystel, Melbourne is developed enough to have internet cafes where you can write reports from the AO. I won't be doing them, but that's for personal reasons.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Bah humbug, I hate Xmas.

Krystel, Melbourne is developed enough to have internet cafes where you can write reports from the AO. I won't be doing them, but that's for personal reasons.
That's a shame. Your reports are usually really interesting.

I figured that there should be internet cafes, but wasn't sure how much they'd cost. I just did a quick search on the internet for some typical internet cafes and the cost isn't too bad so I guess that problem got solved quickly. :)

·
124,507 Posts
Well I will do them, but I have to be aware of stuff getting pinched without being asked you see.

Anyway, it would be good to meet up with you in Melbourne.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I think it's funny that it looks like a wooden log. :lol:

I'm also going back January 5th, incidentally when the tennis starts. :rolleyes:

Are you looking at getting an internship at any country in particular?
Yeah it's quiet funny to see :)

Well I don't have a country in particular because it's not easy to find an internship so as long as I have one, whatever country will do the job !

Thanks for asking. My studies are - as I was hoping for - very interesting but also very hard. In my class there are people from everywhere (Mexico, Vietnam, Argentina, Russia, Roumania...) so I have the chance to be open to different culture and this is something really interesting ;)

I see you will both go to the Australian Open, that's great ! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun there ;) I think it is one of the best GS because all players are at their best after taking a rest !

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Well I will do them, but I have to be aware of stuff getting pinched without being asked you see.

Anyway, it would be good to meet up with you in Melbourne.
Fair enough. I can see how you would be wary of things like that. Annoyingly it's virtually impossible to tell when someone copies your work because it could be anywhere on the internet.

I once found out that someone posted all of my wallpapers, all 30 of them or so on a forum (far later after it happened) and claimed it as their own with no link back to the website. People even requested him/her to make new specific ones for them, and they just took all of the compliments and credit for it. :rolleyes: And came back to post new updated wallpapers whenever I made a new one.

But personally for me, I don't mind people posting my articles as long as they acknowledge where it's from (well obviously I encourage it given how many times I duplicate it).

Which days are you attending in Melbourne?

Well I don't have a country in particular because it's not easy to find an internship so as long as I have one, whatever country will do the job !

Thanks for asking. My studies are - as I was hoping for - very interesting but also very hard. In my class there are people from everywhere (Mexico, Vietnam, Argentina, Russia, Roumania...) so I have the chance to be open to different culture and this is something really interesting ;)

I see you will both go to the Australian Open, that's great ! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun there ;) I think it is one of the best GS because all players are at their best after taking a rest !
Or either they could be very rusty... nah, I don't think it makes a noticeable difference.

:lol: I like your attitude - "whatever country will do the job". Nice enthusiasm.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Fair enough. I can see how you would be wary of things like that. Annoyingly it's virtually impossible to tell when someone copies your work because it could be anywhere on the internet.

I once found out that someone posted all of my wallpapers, all 30 of them or so on a forum (far later after it happened) and claimed it as their own with no link back to the website. People even requested him/her to make new specific ones for them, and they just took all of the compliments and credit for it. :rolleyes: And came back to post new updated wallpapers whenever I made a new one.

But personally for me, I don't mind people posting my articles as long as they acknowledge where it's from (well obviously I encourage it given how many times I duplicate it).
I agree, it happened to me a few times when I was doing fansub (anime), it's not really fun to see your work copied and used and then the other guy take all the credits. :eek:

Or either they could be very rusty... nah, I don't think it makes a noticeable difference.

:lol: I like your attitude - "whatever country will do the job". Nice enthusiasm.
You think they are rusty ? Anyway AO is the best GS for me ;) I will change my mind the day david win a slam other than the AO :rolleyes:

Concerning my enthusiasm, sure it's funny but it's better to take things in a positive way when it's not an easy task ;)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I agree, it happened to me a few times when I was doing fansub (anime), it's not really fun to see your work copied and used and then the other guy take all the credits. :eek:

You think they are rusty ? Anyway AO is the best GS for me ;) I will change my mind the day david win a slam other than the AO :rolleyes:

Concerning my enthusiasm, sure it's funny but it's better to take things in a positive way when it's not an easy task ;)
I was just looking up to see what fansub is. I didn't realize that there was a such a thing, putting subtitles and translating anime into other languages (to mostly English, I would assume). I would have thought that would be something that would already be available officially most of the time. I imagine that something like that would very easily be taken all of the time. :eek:

Your enthusiasm is definitely a good thing. Better to take a new and unknown experience as something to look forward to, rather than be fearful of. Not that we in general, can just manipulate our thoughts like that and somehow turn everything into a positive.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I was just looking up to see what fansub is. I didn't realize that there was a such a thing, putting subtitles and translating anime into other languages (to mostly English, I would assume). I would have thought that would be something that would already be available officially most of the time. I imagine that something like that would very easily be taken all of the time. :eek:

Your enthusiasm is definitely a good thing. Better to take a new and unknown experience as something to look forward to, rather than be fearful of. Not that we in general, can just manipulate our thoughts like that and somehow turn everything into a positive.
Oh it piss me off, I wrote a long post about fansub but I lost it ! :mad:
I was just saying there that translation is officially done but quiet slowly because of business, which make companies to take their time before buying an anime licence.

But it takes quiet a long time to make fansub so I stopped doing that :rolleyes: 4 hours to time an episode of 20 minutes, the result is great but you must have a lot of free time...

Sure, an unknown experience is in general fearful so I like to "take it easy" like our friend Mika sings. But even if as you say we often do it intentionally by manipulating our thoughts, it's natural and I think it's more effective than going into it as it was already lost ;)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Oh it piss me off, I wrote a long post about fansub but I lost it ! :mad:
I was just saying there that translation is officially done but quiet slowly because of business, which make companies to take their time before buying an anime licence.

But it takes quiet a long time to make fansub so I stopped doing that :rolleyes: 4 hours to time an episode of 20 minutes, the result is great but you must have a lot of free time...

Sure, an unknown experience is in general fearful so I like to "take it easy" like our friend Mika sings. But even if as you say we often do it intentionally by manipulating our thoughts, it's natural and I think it's more effective than going into it as it was already lost ;)
That's very annoying. :eek: I've started copying and pasting any relatively long posts I make, in case it doesn't work. Because MTF gets a lot of errors like that.

Thanks for the explanation of the official translation process. I'm not surprised that doing it yourself takes such a long time. Even though things like that can be done bit by bit each day, I always have a tendency to want to finish it all off that day, or not at all. Like I'll have this massive urge to want to finish it, and drop other things in the process. So in the end, I'd rather not start it.

I'm sure it'll be a good experience for you, if you already enjoy different cultures and that sort of thing, which you do seem to.

Thanks for reviving the chat thread, by the way.

·
124,507 Posts

Good attitude and hope you can experience some other places. As for the AO, well if it was played on clay then it would be almost perfect.

Which days are you attending in Melbourne?
Normally I wouldn't be that worried, but for some reason it's better for me to be more alert about it. At the same time I tend to have a fairly distinctivs style and it wouldn't be hard for me to find whether stuff has been used or not, without proper acknowledgment.

I will be there for the first week.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
That's very annoying. :eek: I've started copying and pasting any relatively long posts I make, in case it doesn't work. Because MTF gets a lot of errors like that.

Thanks for the explanation of the official translation process. I'm not surprised that doing it yourself takes such a long time. Even though things like that can be done bit by bit each day, I always have a tendency to want to finish it all off that day, or not at all. Like I'll have this massive urge to want to finish it, and drop other things in the process. So in the end, I'd rather not start it.

I'm sure it'll be a good experience for you, if you already enjoy different cultures and that sort of thing, which you do seem to.

Thanks for reviving the chat thread, by the way.
Oh you are welcome for the chat thread, I found it sad when I saw the thread was inactive since few time. Let's enjoy the holydays :cool: ... while we can :sad:

So that's how you work ? I must admit it is an effective way to do things. :)
Mine is not really good, you could compare it to a microprocessor : I do 100 different things at the same time and allocate time to each one :crazy:

801 - 820 of 845 Posts