Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO final

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking back on it, how do you feel about it? Personally I think it was one of the greatest matches ever played and Novak winning the match after his five hour semi with Murray and Nadal having an extra days rest is both hugely impressive and also hilarious. If Nadal couldn't beat him then at the AO, then it says a lot about how Nadal would fare against AO 2011 Djoker for example!

Or do you think the match was overrated? Do you think people talk it up too much? Multiple vote options available. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Option 2 and 4!

·
Your visions will happen
52,157 Posts
Most grueling match of all time considering 6 hours length and the mental grind of it being a GS final after 6 matches already

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
2 and 3 and 4. A great match but there are better ones.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Quite boring. An advertising campaign which lasted 6 hours (?). It looked like they were promoting plasma and eggs.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Looking back on it, how do you feel about it? Personally I think it was one of the greatest matches ever played and Novak winning the match after his five hour semi with Murray and Nadal having an extra days rest is both hugely impressive and also hilarious. If Nadal couldn't beat him then at the AO, then it says a lot about how Nadal would fare against AO 2011 Djoker for example!

Or do you think the match was overrated? Do you think people talk it up too much? Multiple vote options available. Cheers.
Impressive and hilarious?

Not what I was thinking.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
It was the exhibition of athleticism, war on the court. But it was also a great sign which way tennis shouldn't go. Perfect match for me is when you have a combination of long rallies, which are entertaining, and short punching one. This one was a long gruesome grindfest, especially in the fifth. It was even tiring to watch that, 20+ rally followed by guess again, another 20+ rally. Of course they was a mixture of it, but in the fifth set it was crazy. For one match, great, warrior stuff and really admirable athleticism, but in the long spell? No thank you.

I'm really glad they've sped up the courts and made less fluffy balls a bit, it's still slow in the night, but it should be, it's the second slowest slam. You have Wimbledon in 90s and then this, 2 extremes. We need to find some balance and I'm glad the organisers found it.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will never forget Rafa missing a routine pass at 4-2, 30-15 in the 5th set. Unbelievable match that made me tired watching it. I kept expecting Novak to breakdown the longer the match went but his fitness was incredible.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Djoker was in control in the fourth set and should have broken Nadal. Then he was cruising in the TB before handing that set to Nadal with some UE.

It was definitely a roller coaster match! When Djoker played a shitty game and Nadal broke I thought it was over. But then when Nadal missed that pass I was like FUCK YES! Then when Nole broke back :worship:

Amazing match and astonishing effort from Nole. He has played much better at the AO but still one of his most memorable wins for sure.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
It put Djokovic in the hall of fame, even Laver put him as number 6 on the all time greats list afterwards. It was high quality, it gave Nadal an awkward record in being the first player in the open era to lose 3 slam finals in a row.

My opinion though, it was 90 minutes too long. It's like watching a Transformers movie, after 3 hours of explosions you start getting desensitised and bored and you start looking at your watch hoping it ends soon. Djokovic should have won in the 4th set, and Rafa should have won in the 5th.

And let's not forget Novak's over the top celebration (although it's pretty understandable how he'd react like that) which upon reflection looks a bit awkward.

I actually prefer his Murray semi, probably because Andy's fightback was somewhat unexpected.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I will never forget Rafa missing a routine pass at 4-2, 30-15 in the 5th set. Unbelievable match that made me tired watching it. I kept expecting Novak to breakdown the longer the match went but his fitness was incredible.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Yeah ... and how Nole had all the momentum after the third. I remember McEnroe saying Rafa is in "trouble" after the third and all of a sudden he won the fourth.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Btw their FO 2013 semi was the exact opposite of this AO match. 4th set Nadal leading by a break (Djokovic had had a 3 bp at 4-3 if I remember it correctly), but couldn't serve it out and Djokovic won the fourth set in tie break. Then came fifth with a break for Djokovic (Nadal at AO), but 1 mistake gave his opponent a chance to break back and eventually to win the match.

FO 2013 was a lower quality one, but it was more interesting for me, I love clay and dislike AO surface, maybe that's why.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts