Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was no. 1 team in the world for a part of 2000 with Rich Leach?

Wonder how many more stories there are when a player was about to quit or did quit and came back and did his/her best?

Brian Baker, Alex Bogomolov, Julio Peralta, come to mind.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
first time I saw Ellis was in DC against Italy in 1996

He was so bad in the doubles match there so it was surprising for me he won slams later in his career

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even Federer looked bad early in his career. People forget or are unaware of how poor his results were in his first two years of ATP. He even said to Steve Tignor back in 98 or 99 "I'm not even sure I'm going to have a pro career" during one such slump. Tignor revealed it in the book Facing Federer.

·
|
14,285 Posts
Even Federer looked bad early in his career. People forget or are unaware of how poor his results were in his first two years of ATP. He even said to Steve Tignor back in 98 or 99 "I'm not even sure I'm going to have a pro career" during one such slump. Tignor revealed it in the book Facing Federer.
In fact Federer lost in the 1st Round of Wimbledon 3 times, and 1st Round of Roland Garros 3 times.
Federer is a better underdog story than just about anyone, when you look at his early results compared to his prime....

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
In fact Federer lost in the 1st Round of Wimbledon 3 times, and 1st Round of Roland Garros 3 times.
Federer is a better underdog story than just about anyone, when you look at his early results compared to his prime....
Surely Nadal's underdog story is the best by far?

I mean, the guy thought his career would be over at 19 due to injuries, and he still managed to become the first man in world history to win slams on clay, grass and hard-court all in a calendar year.

And Nadal's career was in serious doubt after his 222-day absence from the tour, yet still managed to hit 22 winners in the 5th set of the RG SF against Djokovic in 2013.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nadal had instant early success, he never hit a bad losing streak early. His issue was that foot injury that caused him to miss his first French Open main draw in 2004. But he got through that and rose quickly to the top. Most of the skepticism about how long Nadal's physical style of play would allow his body to survive on Tour has proven to be fake news. Even Agassi was dead wrong in saying he thought in 2004 that Nadal would be done by 30. Nadal was great he never had to go through the suffering of many losses and prolonged stretches of failure. His issue has been injury which he's overcome in flying colors every time.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
When you're so brazen about constantly plugging your terrible e-books, why won't you admit to authoring any of them?

This is hilarious.

You should make an e-book called Facing Ferreira.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't be knockin' Steve Tignor. Steve Tignor is the man!

“I like your comparisons to different kinds of painting. At first I wasn’t sure what to make of Facing Federer, where to start with it. But then I realized that you can start pretty much anywhere and jump around from entry to entry. I have to say it’s pretty addictive”you get a lot of looks at Federer, but you also get a little look at the personalities of all kinds of players, from Hall-of-Famers to journeymen, and you see how different their perspectives are, not just on playing Federer but on tennis in general.”

https://www.tennis-prose.com/bios/facing-federer-receives-steve-tignors-nod-as-a-top-book/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts