Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This whole "next slam will decide everything" thing is flat out wrong. Both Nadal and Djokovic still have plenty of time, skill and form.
Nadal, yes. Djokovic, hardly. Do you think he could win 4 or even more slams after age 33? Maybe he'd need 5-6 if Nadal adds more.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Nadal, yes. Djokovic, hardly. Do you think he could win 4 or even more slams after age 33? Maybe he'd need 5-6 if Nadal adds more.
To answer the question. Yes, easily!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Wimbledon will be bigger seeing as that's a slam Federer can still just about win.

Pretty unlikely but chance Nadal could dethrone Fed by winning that aswell as the FO of course.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I'm already excited for it. I hope someone can stop Nadal this year but I would definitely not bet on it. Realistically, I can't see anyone outside of Nadal, Djokovic, or Thiem winning RG.
I just hope Novak doesn't get Thiem in the semis again. I doubt he would beat him and then Nadal in the final back to back. But if the semi is Nadal vs. Thiem, with Djokovic waiting on the other side, that would be ideal for me :)

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'm already excited for it. I hope someone can stop Nadal this year but I would definitely not bet on it. Realistically, I can't see anyone outside of Nadal, Djokovic, or Thiem winning RG.
I just hope Novak doesn't get Thiem in the semis again. I doubt he would beat him and then Nadal in the final back to back. But if the semi is Nadal vs. Thiem, with Djokovic waiting on the other side, that would be ideal for me :)
Can Djokovic beat Wawrinka? Can Djokovic beat Federer? If Federer plays RG like he did in 2019, he may have a chance against Djokovic and even beat Djokovic. Do not mistake, I do not like Federer, but I think Federer played a great RG in 2019 and also a decent semifinal against Rafa (tight first two sets) in those windy conditions.

Djokovic's level dips a bit on clay than on hardcourts. Can Djokovic beat an inspired Zverev, Tsitsipas, or Medvedev at RG, a similar player to an inspired Cecchinato?

To put it shortly, Djokovic's problems at RG are more than Rafa and Thiem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The most important slam this year will be US Open 2020. Because this is the only slam where the big 3 are most prone to lose, and is the only one that has been won by 4 different winners outside the big 3 since 2004 (5 if you also include Roddick in early 2000s).

If one of the younger guys can breakthrough there, it can set the tone for 2021 & beyond. If not, big 3 dominance to continue for at least another year.

Also, this will be even more important given the Slam standings going into it. If Rafa wins RG and Joker wins Wimbledon, the count will be Federer=20, Nadal=20, Djokovic=18. But what if Djokovic wins RG? Then it will be Federer=20, Nadal=19, Djokovic=19 (assuming he also wins Wimbledon, or 18 if he doesn't for a chance to equal with Nadal and then surpass him in AO 2021).

The only 3 players capable of beating Nadal in RG are Djokovic, Thiem, and Fognini. Sadly there is a small chance Fognini will meet Rafa, and Thiem is still not ready to win RG in my opinion. Because while he can beat 1 of Joker/Rafa, he prob won't beat both in the same tournament and in general is more upset prone in the earlier stages.

So that leaves it for Djoker to truly challenge Rafa in RG. He took him to the brink in the SFs a few years ago, losing 10-8 in the 5th (or maybe it was 9-7). So he can def win this match if it comes down to it and is playing at his 100%.

Would also be epic if Novak can win it and break the stupid curse of not a single player being able to win AO & FO in the same year since forever, and also set him up to be halfway through to have the Golden Year with a chance to claim the Olympic Gold as the cherry on top. I'd love for him to do it, but we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
A lot will depend on the Draw,

Novak: Stan in QF plus Thiem In SF and Nadal The F would be hellish .
A rested Thiem in SFs for Nadal too will be a thriller and serious danger plus Novak in F?
Fed could get in the final through easy draw or face Novak in SF. That d be sweet

·
Registered
4,471 Posts

The only 3 players capable of beating Nadal in RG are Djokovic, Thiem, and Fognini. Sadly there is a small chance Fognini will meet Rafa, and Thiem is still not ready to win RG in my opinion. Because while he can beat 1 of Joker/Rafa, he prob won't beat both in the same tournament and in general is more upset prone in the earlier stages.

Fognini could only beat seriously injured Nadal in RG, he never played RG QF in career and has won that crazy RG'11 4R 6-setter only because of numerous errors of a tired and hampered Montanes whose RG'11 4R was his only RG 4R in career.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Can Djokovic beat Wawrinka? Can Djokovic beat Federer? If Federer plays RG like he did in 2019, he may have a chance against Djokovic and even beat Djokovic. Do not mistake, I do not like Federer, but I think Federer played a great RG in 2019 and also a decent semifinal against Rafa (tight first two sets) in those windy conditions.

Djokovic's level dips a bit on clay than on hardcourts. Can Djokovic beat an inspired Zverev, Tsitsipas, or Medvedev at RG, a similar player to an inspired Cecchinato?

To put it shortly, Djokovic's problems at RG are more than Rafa and Thiem.
You're right that clay is now his weakest surface, and I'm not saying Djokovic is a lock to make the SF or F, but I do think he would still be a relatively strong favorite against any of the guys you mentioned other than Thiem. I have to disagree completely about Federer, don't think he would stand any chance against Novak at RG. I also doubt Wawrinka would pose a huge problem at this point in time, if he even makes it that far. As for all the younger guys they have some chance but I would still take Djokovic any day over any of them. Thiem is far better than all of them on clay, and last year Djokovic almost got past him, and that was in terrible conditions in which Djokovic usually plays really badly. Had the conditions been normal that day who knows what could have happened.

I don't think a Cecchinato-like event is likely to occur either. That happened in 2018 when Djokovic was still in his comeback mode and hadn't quite got his game fully together yet. Now is a different story. That all being said, Nadal is still a heavy favorite no matter what, but I would really like to see Djokovic get another chance at playing Nadal in the final. I don't think anyone else has a better chance against Rafa.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Fognini could only beat seriously injured Nadal in RG, he never played RG QF in career and has won that crazy RG'11 4R 6-setter only because of numerous Montanes' errors whose RG'11 4R was his only RG 4R in career.
Lol he's already beaten Rafa on numerous occasions on clay, and also in US Open a few years ago from 2-0 down. He can def take out Rafa, even in RG...but only if he plays at 100%.

Plus if they meet, it would be in R32 or R16, prob not QF. And Rafa may be more upset prone in the earlier rounds than later on. Esp since 2 of his losses in RG came in R16 and QF.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Lol he's already beaten Rafa on numerous occasions on clay, and also in US Open a few years ago from 2-0 down. He can def take out Rafa, even in RG...but only if he plays at 100%.

Plus if they meet, it would be in R32 or R16, prob not QF. And Rafa may be more upset prone in the earlier rounds than later on. Esp since 2 of his losses in RG came in R16 and QF.
Beside Novak and Thiem there are quite a few active players who have also beaten Nadal on clay, but they all have about the same chance of beating healthy Nadal at RG'20 in bo5 rubber, less than 1 %.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The most important slam this year will be US Open 2020. Because this is the only slam where the big 3 are most prone to lose, and is the only one that has been won by 4 different winners outside the big 3 since 2004 (5 if you also include Roddick in early 2000s).

If one of the younger guys can breakthrough there, it can set the tone for 2021 & beyond. If not, big 3 dominance to continue for at least another year.

Also, this will be even more important given the Slam standings going into it. If Rafa wins RG and Joker wins Wimbledon, the count will be Federer=20, Nadal=20, Djokovic=18. But what if Djokovic wins RG? Then it will be Federer=20, Nadal=19, Djokovic=19 (assuming he also wins Wimbledon, or 18 if he doesn't for a chance to equal with Nadal and then surpass him in AO 2021).

So that leaves it for Djoker to truly challenge Rafa in RG. He took him to the brink in the SFs a few years ago, losing 10-8 in the 5th (or maybe it was 9-7). So he can def win this match if it comes down to it and is playing at his 100%.

Would also be epic if Novak can win it and break the stupid curse of not a single player being able to win AO & FO in the same year since forever, and also set him up to be halfway through to have the Golden Year with a chance to claim the Olympic Gold as the cherry on top. I'd love for him to do it, but we'll see how it goes!
Djokovic won the AO+FO combo in 2016. It has been done.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Djokovic won the AO+FO combo in 2016. It has been done.
Oh you're right, just realized that...anyways my point is that this year's US Open will be the most important slam in many years. Esp since younger guys are really starting to make a push now, and Big 3 are usually a bit tired in time for US Open, esp now since there's also Olympics in between Wimbledon and US Open.

Way more unpredictable & exciting than the French Open. Really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
251 Posts
well if the thread is about records then at least get your records straight there is another guywho has won 5 or more in two different grand slam tournament sites. By the way that guy did it on the tworeme surfaces of tennis. He dominated on both. Clay+French open and grass Wimbledon. No one else has done that. And he did it in a very short time. 6 or 7 years . Talk a about dominance. And he did it against the best players of his time and two of the all time greats John McenRoe and Jimmy Connors. He is my GOAT. oh its not a goat discussion so sorry to break your rules. Who are you to set the rules anyways.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The stakes are incredible, bigger than for any other slam that I can remember. Given that Nadal,, Djokovic, and Federer are not getting younger, arguably this tournament is going to decide the slam race.

Nadal is, as usual, the favorite at the French Open. If he wins he'll tie Federer at 20 slams and take a 3 slam lead over Djokovic. Since by then Federer will be approaching age 39, and Djokovic will be 33, by June Nadal can essentially clinch being co-winner or outright winner of the slam race. Because... I don't think Federer will be able to win more slams than Nadal after FO 2020, and I also don't see Djokovic outperforming Nadal by 4 slams after FO 2020.

If Djokovic wins the FO, he'll be 1-2 slams behind Nadal/Federer, and among the Big 3, he'll be the clear favorite to outperform the other two over the next 3 slams (Wim, USO, AO) and beyond. So he'd have a decent chance to get to 20 or so.
Apart from basic slam count, Djokovic would have a double career slam (first entirely within Open Era). Together with his Nole Slam, that means holding two important slam-related achievements that Federer and Nadal don't have. In addition he would tie Wilander and Nadal for 2+ slams on each surface, and he would tie Federer and Nadal by reaching 5+ finals at each slam.

If no Big 3 player wins the FO, that will still be a modest "win" for Djokovic as he keeps his chances alive of catching Nadal.
It will certainly be a modest "win" for Djokovic if no big 3 player wins it, as the French is by far the most likely of the slams for Nadal to win. If he declines so much that he stops winning there he is unlikely to add to his tally elsewhere. However, it would also be a win for Federer. If Nadal doesn't win it this year then there's a chance he may never equal Fed and Djokovic would still need 3 just to tie.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No one seriously believes that winning a million clay Slams makes you the GOAT, except a few tards. Imagine if Karlovic won 21 Wimbledons, how much grief he would get on here about 'servebotting'. No, the GOAT means all-court supremacy and artistry, and we all know who that is.
Novak Djokovic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You've summed it up pretty well. Unbiased and objective.
If Novak wins it - and especially if he beats Rafa along the way or in the finals (oh boy) - then the GOAT race is over.

Fed has about 0 chances of winning it (not sure if he's gonna play it in the first place), and I believe he's done with winning slams. period.

Rafa has a chance, but If draw puts 2 out of Zverev/Rublev/Medvedev/Thiem on his side, before the SF - his chances drop to minimal, if any.

And then there's Novak... Again. He'll be dialed-in, ready and ruthless this time. It's winner take all for him now.

My money is on Novak. Idemo.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Rafa starts favorite but Thiem might be right when it comes to someone beating the big three.

·
Registered
114 Posts
interestingly - I think it's quite the opposite.
Novak has more than enough in him to win another 5-6 slams in the next 2-3 years.
Nadal, IMO, is pretty much done. I'd be surprised if he gets to the finals if he plays 2 from zverev/medvedev/rublev/thiem line, before the SF.
His forehand is not that dangerous anymore and I think the wear&tear is catching up to him.
On the other hand - Novak is improving still and looks strong like a hulk.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts