Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stakes are incredible, bigger than for any other slam that I can remember. Given that Nadal,, Djokovic, and Federer are not getting younger, arguably this tournament is going to decide the slam race.

Nadal is, as usual, the favorite at the French Open. If he wins he'll tie Federer at 20 slams and take a 3 slam lead over Djokovic. Since by then Federer will be approaching age 39, and Djokovic will be 33, by June Nadal can essentially clinch being co-winner or outright winner of the slam race. Because... I don't think Federer will be able to win more slams than Nadal after FO 2020, and I also don't see Djokovic outperforming Nadal by 4 slams after FO 2020.

If Djokovic wins the FO, he'll be 1-2 slams behind Nadal/Federer, and among the Big 3, he'll be the clear favorite to outperform the other two over the next 3 slams (Wim, USO, AO) and beyond. So he'd have a decent chance to get to 20 or so.
Apart from basic slam count, Djokovic would have a double career slam (first entirely within Open Era). Together with his Nole Slam, that means holding two important slam-related achievements that Federer and Nadal don't have. In addition he would tie Wilander and Nadal for 2+ slams on each surface, and he would tie Federer and Nadal by reaching 5+ finals at each slam.

If no Big 3 player wins the FO, that will still be a modest "win" for Djokovic as he keeps his chances alive of catching Nadal.

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything you have said.

I think even if Rafael Nadal wins Roland Garros, Novak Djokovic will catch up at some point in the next year or two. Roger Federer will end up third.

The ironic thing is that the player who was introduced as the record holder for 10+ years, will end up third and the eventual record holder will be on the verge of retirement and will not be able to enjoy the fruits of being the record holder while they are still active.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Rg 2020 is irrelevant in that sense you are mentioning (that it is crucial). It is just 1 more slam, if Djokovic wins it and then wins no nore this year while Nadal wins USO, it will be the same as not winning RG but winning USO or W instead while Nadal get his 13th.

·
Your visions will happen
46,698 Posts
Rg 2020 is irrelevant in that sense you are mentioning (that it is crucial). It is just 1 more slam, if Djokovic wins it and then wins no nore this year while Nadal wins USO, it will be the same as not winning RG but winning USO or W instead while Nadal get his 13th.
This is true too. But Rafa has never won USO without winning RG first
I agree with pretty much everything you have said.

I think even if Rafael Nadal wins Roland Garros, Novak Djokovic will catch up at some point in the next year or two. Roger Federer will end up third.

The ironic thing is that the player who was introduced as the record holder for 10+ years, will end up third and the eventual record holder will be on the verge of retirement and will not be able to enjoy the fruits of being the record holder while they are still active.
Like Alexander the Great or Ghengis Khan. Unable to enjoy the reign

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The really important thing about this RG is this: If a non-big 3 wins it, I suspect it will start a flood of new slam winners. Especially if it's a new guy (as in, Thiem).
:unsure: mmm I dont think so , winning one would be just that , until a clear sign of slowing down . The big 3 has that recover ability mentally and fight spirit. They proven that more than enough . Next years there could be a surprise or two but that as marking the end ? No

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
:unsure: mmm I dont think so , winning one would be just that , until a clear sign of slowing down . The big 3 has that recover ability mentally and fight spirit. They proven that more than enough . Next years there could be a surprise or two but that as marking the end ? No
NG is already reaching slam finals. When the first slam is claimed, the flood gates will open. Mark my words :p

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
RG will obviously be massively important in the slam race, regardless of what happens, probably even more so if Thiem or another non-big 3 somehow snatches it. If that happens I can easily see the big 3 win no more than 1 or 2 slams combined from this year's Wimbledon onwards.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
NG is already reaching slam finals. When the first slam is claimed, the flood gates will open. Mark my words :p
Ok :p its on . NG chance is at USO . AO RG and Wimby is where big 3 stand and " work together " to keep dominance! .You gotta beat 2 out 3 at least ! Only Thiem seem for such a task even though he never could .

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Big 3 arent going in packet. If someone dethrones Nadal at RG, that can only be Djokovic or Dominic. And if it is Thiem, i dont see how can it magically transfer onto Wimbledon for example. Imo Djokovic will be no. 1 favorite for Wimbledon at least for 3 more years. Also, Nadal on clay. Also, i doubt that any moment of time would be cutout for old guard, in a sense that if Medvedev for example wins USO, that somehow big 3 will never win a slam again. Doesnt make sene to me

It would probably go like this: one of younger players will win 1 slam in some year. Next year, 1-2 or maybe 3, but 1-3 would be claimed by Novak or Nadal. Year after that, oldies will win 1,maybe 2. Then, in 4th year, MAYBE they end up slamless. It is very slim chance that no 1 and 2 and 3 suddenly stop winning slams at the same time, plus all 3 are ATGs. Doubt it will happen. First, one of them will fall of, then 2nd one, than 3rd one

I dont see them slamless before 2023, but then again, tennis is an unpredictable sport

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
No one seriously believes that winning a million clay Slams makes you the GOAT, except a few tards. Imagine if Karlovic won 21 Wimbledons, how much grief he would get on here about 'servebotting'. No, the GOAT means all-court supremacy and artistry, and we all know who that is.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No one seriously believes that winning a million clay Slams makes you the GOAT, except a few tards. Imagine if Karlovic won 21 Wimbledons, how much grief he would get on here about 'servebotting'. No, the GOAT means all-court supremacy and artistry, and we all know who that is.
Yeah, better to win most of your slams in weak area.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Whatever.

The only thing all-important is for everyone to settle on these scraps before Jannik decides to sweep through the calendar

·
Registered
495 Posts
This whole "next slam will decide everything" thing is flat out wrong. Both Nadal and Djokovic still have plenty of time, skill and form.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This thread is not about the goat discussion, just about the cold hard numbers of the slam race. There are many threads about goats.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts