Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand this, Sampras had the best serve, nobody could touch it. Yet, not many players, juniors, have tried to emulate his serve. More players, from pros, juniors, are emulating Roddick's serve. Doesen't make sense to me. Sampras serve was flawless.
Monfils, Tsonga, Ginepri,
women's tour Henin, Vaidasova
all have the Roddick like motion serve.
even Todd Martin has shortened his serve, although he did it b/c of some arm problems.
numerous juniors

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
your point?

Roddick is known for the fastest serve ever recorded. And Sampras retired in 2002. So all the Juniors who are 17/18 now were 12-14 when Roddick was at his best, and his serve was the best around.

I agree Pete's serve is a better shot, people are just emulating what they know now. But with sites like Youtube, you can watch plenty of Sampras matches, but you dont see him on live TV quite often.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I think you mean "effect"

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
What about "the Nadal effect".

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I honestly don't get the point of this thread.

Is it supposed to be a Sampras circle jerk, a Roddick bashing, or both?

I think the players on the ATP tour need you. Go tell them all how bad Roddick's serve is and how they should all be serving like Sampras instead, since they obviously don't know wtf their doing.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
This is a thread by a poster who thought they had a brilliant idea, the only thing was...it wasn't. So we're all left confused trying interpret the question that they are asking. I mean, really at the heart of this it goes back to the old bla bla bla, who has a better serve Roddick or Sampras. Do a forum search a lot of great posters have written great stuff on this. I would generally say that Roddick has the more modern serve because he drives his body weight up through the point of contact. Sampras's motion had his body weight coming forward into the court more because he served and vollied so the motion gave him an extra couple feet into the court. New ball tennis...better strings, athletes, returners...whatever, players aren't serving and vollying so they "copied" the Roddick motion to make a faster serve that didn't involve coming into the court as much persay. Although no one really copied Roddick's serve except maybe gay as Monfils, this motion is being tought by tennis pros everywhere cuz serve and volley is dead because the age of the dominating serve is over..due to balls, strings, courts, etc. Ok I'm done...this is all a repost for me since these topics have been beaten to death...like a horse, that you brought to water and couldn't make drink...or some proverb like that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly don't get the point of this thread.

Is it supposed to be a Sampras circle jerk, a Roddick bashing, or both?

I think the players on the ATP tour need you. Go tell them all how bad Roddick's serve is and how they should all be serving like Sampras instead, since they obviously don't know wtf their doing.
Actually the point, is the impact that Roddick has had on the game. Soon as he came on tour, also sales of his racquet the Babolat Pure Drive increased dramatically, simply b/c the American star was using the racquet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my intent was not to say who has a better, serve, b/c Sampras has the more effective serve. Just wanted to talk about the effect of Roddick's serve on today's game, w/ many individuals copying his form.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Roddick is presence (active player) and Sampras is history (retired), if Sampras' service moves are not in the tennis books, most juniors would not know about it if they are not subscribed to ESPN Classic Sports TV Channel while Roddick's serve is something than can see on main TV Channels almost every second week, for a coach it's less complicated to say to a child 'serve like Roddick' than 'serve like Sampras'. Just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts