Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
true, berlocq has been very dominant

and i agree with stebe-federer referral
how on earth the poll can be won by a guy in the regular season gained only 2 insignificant asian challengers??? beating big names like Perakiat SIRILUETHAIWATTANA, nicholas monroe, amir weintraub (zopp, kudryavtsev and heliovaara were the best he beat)

how does he come close to machado (4 titles; beat montanes, zeballos, prodon, hajek, gabashvili) or berlocq (5 titles)?

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Rui Machado. Saying it's Stebe it's the same as saying Federer was the better player this year because he won the WTF...
not really.

Stebe's season was the most significant because it represents the potential breakthrough of a young player who can go on to bigger and better things. That's why he got my vote. It's about impact, not necessarily consistency.

Machado and Berlocq will most likely just have identical seasons next year.

Maybe Stebe will too. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
210 Posts
not really.

Stebe's season was the most significant because it represents the potential breakthrough of a young player who can go on to bigger and better things. That's why he got my vote. It's about impact, not necessarily consistency.

Machado and Berlocq will most likely just have identical seasons next year.

Maybe Stebe will too. We will have to wait and see.
It's a poll for the better challenger player, not for the one with more potential. It's like voting Raonic the ATP Player of the Year because it represents the potential breakthrough of a young player... Does that make sense?

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts
It's a poll for the better challenger player, not for the one with more potential. It's like voting Raonic the ATP Player of the Year because it represents the potential breakthrough of a young player... Does that make sense?
I understand your reasoning and largely agree with it. What I don't understand is how you can vote for Machado over Berlocq with that reasoning however. Your choice is clearly tainted by nationalism, as Berlocq had a better season on the Challenger Tour than the Portuguese. (I actually dislike Berlocq, and like Machado)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I vote for Berlocq too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I understand your reasoning and largely agree with it. What I don't understand is how you can vote for Machado over Berlocq with that reasoning however. Your choice is clearly tainted by nationalism, as Berlocq had a better season on the Challenger Tour than the Portuguese. (I actually dislike Berlocq, and like Machado)
They had similar seasons... For example, Nathalia whom I don't think is portuguese, has chosen Machado too.

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts
They had similar seasons... For example, Nathalia whom I don't think is portuguese, has chosen Machado too.
Incorrect. Berlocq won one title more, has a much better win-loss record, and played 22 (!) matches less in Challengers than Machado.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Here is the difference between Berlocq and Stebe in my opinion. If you view the Challenger Finals as just another Challenger tournament, then Stebe has 3 wins and 1 final. Berlocq has 5 titles. But Stebe started the year in Futures and only one of Berlocq's titles is even close to as good as what Stebe had to do to win the Finals. Still, that 28-3 Challenger record is really, really hard to ignore. I vote Berlocq.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My vote goes to Berlocq as he has the best results in Challengers 2011 ... even though Stebe is IMO more interesting to watch in 2012 and later. Stebe or Machado are close to the Argentine and I make the difference by lost matches, like the one Stebe played at StJacques de la Lande, where second court of Rennes Challenger takes place, as he made Evans look like ATP tour level that day...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts