Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was one of the most interesting things to happen in tennis. Ever.

Djokovic played at his renowned 2018, 2018 US Open level, and Anderson also played at his 2018 level.

The mix of styles clashing together really showed us this match-up for the first time, opposed to Wimbledon where Anderson was completely spent after having played 9 sets 2 days before.

The fact that Federer told him to be more aggressive, and Djokovic then actually did become more aggressive and had more success on return and edged closer, was just awesome.

Here's why I sympathize far more with Anderson over Raonic:

Anderson takes on what he's given. There were a few points where Djokovic fed him simple half court shots (either strategically or a bit lazily as a way of conserving energy), and Anderson took them on and punished them. No second thoughts.

Raonic meanwhile doesn't trust himself/his game enough and plays along, only to maybe finally go for some hesistant bigger shot, or the opportunity passed.

The Laver Cup is the real deal.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I don't know what's so interesting about it, going by your desription as I haven't watched it live. Fed telling Djokovic to be more agressive is the most NID piece of coaching ever.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I don't know what's so interesting about it, going by your desription as I haven't watched it live. Fed telling Djokovic to be more agressive is the most NID piece of coaching ever.
The true mastery shows in doing that while avoiding any eye contact. :p

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, sounds simple.

It's just, it was done so carefully..

The little nuances in that conversation.

Fed didn't wanna get too close to him you know, be too authorative/master-y with him... not step on his toes.

It felt like Anderson was going to win at that point (and he did, but not before Djokovic won that set), and this is where it got interesting:
BECAUSE Djokovic played at full interest/effort, giving advice to someone like him at that moment can be taken in differently. Djokovic re-assured Federer at the end with a "yea no you're right" something like that.

It was brilliant.

And then, he actually did become much more aggressive on return. In the USO final he also was only that aggressive on return against Potro for a game (second set 1st game), maybe 2. So, it just showed me that it's actually in him.

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
698 Posts
Was one of the most interesting things to happen in tennis. Ever.

Djokovic played at his renowned 2018, 2018 US Open level, and Anderson also played at his 2018 level.

The mix of styles clashing together really showed us this match-up for the first time, opposed to Wimbledon where Anderson was completely spent after having played 9 sets 2 days before.

The fact that Federer told him to be more aggressive, and Djokovic then actually did become more aggressive and had more success on return and edged closer, was just awesome.

Here's why I sympathize far more with Anderson over Raonic:

Anderson takes on what he's given. There were a few points where Djokovic fed him simple half court shots (either strategically or a bit lazily as a way of conserving energy), and Anderson took them on and punished them. No second thoughts.

Raonic meanwhile doesn't trust himself/his game enough and plays along, only to maybe finally go for some hesistant bigger shot, or the opportunity passed.

The Laver Cup is the real deal.
If you think that Djokovic is playing Laver cup on his Wimbledon or USO 2018 level - you are very mistaken. Djokovic is far behind this level simply because he is tired and his level of concentration is not even at medium.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hm ... I want to say that Fed coaching would be a bad idea. Some stuff that comes easily/naturally to him will likely not be so easy for another player. I could see him becoming very frustrated about that.

He also strikes me as the type of person who has enough interests outside tennis and would find something more interesting to do (run his charity, etc). Plus it may be tough for him not to be the star of the show by coaching vs playing.

But who knows, really. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think that Djokovic is playing Laver cup on his Wimbledon or USO 2018 level - you are very mistaken. Djokovic is far behind this level simply because he is tired and his level of concentration is not even at medium.
Of course he's not at Wimbledon level.

Is he at USO level? Yeah, maybe even better here than against Potro.

Potro was tired and chokey. He missed 2 BP's with absolute ease. Anderson played a better match than DelPo did.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Of course he's not at Wimbledon level.

Is he at USO level? Yeah, maybe even better here than against Potro.

Potro was tired and chokey. He missed 2 BP's with absolute ease. Anderson played a better match than DelPo did.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahah :spit:

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I don’t know why Novak didn’t just take his chances. It’s an exhibition. Win or lose, nothing is on the line. Could have used this as practice for the rest of the indoor season.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
I don’t know why Novak didn’t just take his chances. It’s an exhibition. Win or lose, nothing is on the line. Could have used this as practice for the rest of the indoor season.
Because he doesn't care. He has nothing to gain from winning and nothing to lose from losing.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Hm ... I want to say that Fed coaching would be a bad idea. Some stuff that comes easily/naturally to him will likely not be so easy for another player. I could see him becoming very frustrated about that.

He also strikes me as the type of person who has enough interests outside tennis and would find something more interesting to do (run his charity, etc). Plus it may be tough for him not to be the star of the show by coaching vs playing.

But who knows, really. Stranger things have happened.
'The opponent is playing too deep? Just half volley from inside the baseline, easy peasy.'

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Thoughts on Federer as a tennis coach after his playing career?
I am sure he'd be great, especially for younger players. But I doubt he'd be really interested in a new career. Maybe just occasionally. Not on day to day basis for sure.

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I am sure he'd be great, especially for younger players. But I doubt he'd be really interested in a new career. Maybe just occasionally. Not on day to day basis for sure.
Yeah, Federer will be busy enough running his foundation. I can also imagine him working on promoting Laver Cup even after his retirement.

Imagine Federer as captain of Team Europe vs Hewitt as captain of Team World.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts