Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should the Kokk (aka Thanasi Kokkinakis) have his own fan forum?

• Yes

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanasi Kokkinakis, aka 'the Kokk' is only 19, but is already making his mark on the tour (and providing endless entertainment to members of MTF, not least due to his name).

He only broke into the top 100 in May but has already claimed an impressive number of top 50 scalps as well as a Round 3 run at RG this year and fourth round IW. He is rapidly moving up to join the top ranks, and looks set to make it to the top sooner rather than later.

The other half of the future of Australian tennis surely deserves his own fan forum...let the Kokk rise!

PS Kokkinakis thread in busy Australian forum is already at around 1260 contributions, with over 103,276 views.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know this kid, so its a no.
Last I heard, the criteria for a fanforum is not about whether you know him or not (though given comments in assorted threads of his matches, hard to see how that claim stands up), but rather:

1. The activity in the already existing thread(s) of the player, and
2. If the player happens to be a good outlook for the future in general.

·
Administrator
18,212 Posts
Last I heard, the criteria for a fanforum is not about whether you know him or not (though given comments in assorted threads of his matches, hard to see how that claim stands up), but rather:

1. The activity in the already existing thread(s) of the player, and
2. If the player happens to be a good outlook for the future in general.
Don't worry. We have majority here

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On future prospects, worth noting Kokk's inexorable rise - has been moving up virtually every ranking period over the last year.

Started 2014 at 626, ended it at 150; made into top 100 a few months later and still rising fast...

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I had to vote no. I think his ranking is too low right now. Plus with a young player you don't know if they will keep playing well. We have all kinds of players' forums in here that no one posts in now. I think one reason for that is that the player got a forum too quickly and then their play fell off.

·
Administrator
18,212 Posts
Some of you should come to the Aussie fan forum - I doubt any players will be forgotten any time soon. We have threads dedicated to weekly futures results :lol:

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
Yoda's checklist if the player should have their own forum:

Have I heard about him? Yes No

Aside from that, it seems a bit premature for "The Kokk" right now, but hey if he has enough fans that his thread is getting unwieldy...why not? Is space at a premium?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... but hey if he has enough fans that his thread is getting unwieldy...why not? Is space at a premium?
Exactly.

The point of a fan forum is to be able to have separate threads on things like schedule etc so it is easy to find out information relating to a player you follow. When you have to wade through 85 pages of comments on a player, he needs his own forum!

Kokk isn't like some of the other players of his year who have half a dozen posts in their current forums.

And I don't think there is any serious danger of Kokk stalling any time soon - it is obvious he has been playing at a level well above his notional ranking all year.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
I had to vote no. I think his ranking is too low right now. Plus with a young player you don't know if they will keep playing well. We have all kinds of players' forums in here that no one posts in now. I think one reason for that is that the player got a forum too quickly and then their play fell off.
Sorry Mae but this is a pathetic reason to vote NO.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Sorry Mae but this is a pathetic reason to vote NO.
Have you ever taken a look around MTF and seen all the empty Forums there actually are? People post mostly in GM and Non-Tennis. When I first started here the players Forums were very active, but that hasn't been the case for years!

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Have you ever taken a look around MTF and seen all the empty Forums there actually are? People post mostly in GM and Non-Tennis. When I first started here the players Forums were very active, but that hasn't been the case for years!
So? What negative affect is it going to have on the forum? they are in sub sections for a reason. And I see plenty of aussies on here posting in both The Kokk and Kyrgios's forums.

·
Administrator
18,212 Posts
Again, the Kokk forum has had well over 200 posts since it was created.

Even John Millmans thread has 1300 posts. The Australian one is the most active section by miles...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts