Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RISING SA tennis star Thanasi Kokkinakis will not contest Wimbledon this year after deciding to temporarily return to Adelaide to finish his schooling.

The 18-year-old flew home last Friday and will spend the next three weeks finishing his final two Year 12 subjects to honour a commitment he made to his parents Trevor and Voula.

He will resume on the professional tour next month and aim to qualify for the US Open.

“It got to a point where teachers were chasing me up asking where assignments were as I was preparing for matches and I just decided to come back and polish it (the studies) off,’’ said Kokkinakis, who attends Marden Open Access College.

“It crossed my mind (not to finish) given my tennis has been going well but that was never an option for my parents.

“My brother and sister both graduated from university and academics are very important to my family.”

Kokkinakis has risen about 300 positions in the world rankings to 291 this year after impressive results in Australia and on European clay.

He reached the second round of the Australian Open and then came within one point of making the French Open main draw.

He travelled to England and played one event in preparation for Wimbledon but realised his school commitments were becoming too pressing.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Where are you getting all these news from? :lol: I'm serious now

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
What is this nonsense, he wouldn't even have made the qualifying cut :lol:

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
I also chose my commitment to MTF over Wimbledon.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good for him. Nice to see the youngsters making the sensible decisions.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Good for him. Nice to see the youngsters making the sensible decisions.
yep seems to be a good kid with balanced priorities

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
He couldn't do it in July between Wimbledon and USO? I don't get it. Why do kids keep listening to their parents?

This is similar to my Freshman year in college where a kid had a chance to go to China for Olympics in 2008 for judo or kickboxing or whatever it was and he listened to his parents and went to summer school instead :facepalm:

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
He'll get bulk chances in the future for a full grass season. You can't be a tennis player forever...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
old news, he announced it on twitter 1 week ago

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Listening to parents level mug :lol: :haha:
Zero respect for this not dedicated brat.
I liked both him and Kyrgios , but in the future when they gonna be one of tennis's leaders , I'll hate kokimug.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts