Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the end of the year we typically see the lists of the best matches at BO3/BO5 respectively, the real gems, the mugfests, are sadly forgotten. Since nobody will ever remember matches like the Zverev-ADF match for longer than a couple of weeks (unless the mugfest reaches legendary proportions like Murray-Lorenzi 2016) this thread is supposed to be used immediately after those matches to discuss these brilliancies.

Please don't come up with some straight-set-breatdowns where a disliked but highly favoured player destroys a mug in standard fashion, this is for the really horrendous matches that are so terrible that it becomes amusing.

Let's see how this unfolds.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Murray-Vesely IW 2014

Easily the most horrendous one.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The match we just watched is precisely the type of match I created this thread for, what the fuck was that...

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
There was a stat showing Coric had aImost 4 more hours on court than the overhyped Bratrev before they competed so that contributed.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,536 Posts
Kozlov - Young tiebreak from Indian Wells

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,536 Posts
@Dominator I'm sure you remember this one...I thought Nishikori - Verdasco RG 2017 was terrible, Kei won 0-6 6-4 6-4 6-0

Neither really played well at the same time. Kei was struggling deeply for a set and a half to put the ball in the court, including 16 BH unforced errors not even 2 sets into the match! He did not hold his serve once until 9 games had been played. But somehow he hung on before Verdasco imploded at the end. Total points won 110 (Verdasco) to 111 (Nishikori) shows how funny tennis scoring can be sometimes.

Similarly that Monfils - Simon Madrid match must have been quite a spectacle 0-6 6-0 7-6(0).

Another Kei match that comes to mind is that Paris QF against Ferrer deciding Kei's entry into the World Tour Finals. More attritional than anything else because of opponent (I think Kei hit 66 UEs in those 3 sets and couldn't save his 2nd serve if he depended on it). That comeback from 2-5 down in TB 2 pts from losing was legendary though and the TB alone kind of sums up the match, actually, some really awful stuff but some really good stuff as well, just enough good stuff to get over the line.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Surely 2nd set of Tsitsipas-Sinner deserves to be here.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Nadal - Donald Young,IW 2015,R.32

I remember that match...I almost vomit.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Djokovic-Koepfer might not be a terrible match for a random 250 tournament R1 match, but considering it’s a Masters QF involving a big 3 member, the level has been quite shocking.

Reactions: eljefe and Orka_n

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Djokovic-Koepfer might not be a terrible match for a random 250 tournament R1 match, but considering it’s a Masters QF involving a big 3 member, the level has been quite shocking.
That 3-shit-dropshots-plus-easy-BH-UE break to love of DJs serve to 100 % qualifies this match for this thread. :worship:

Reactions: raysun68
1 - 18 of 18 Posts