Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
justice for all
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennis and golf do not have much in common except the fact that Rafa is excelling in both and that both have 4 grand slams in each calendar year.

Regarding this 2nd thing they have in common my question to dear MTF members is:

where is it easier to win a slam: in tennis or in golf?

Judging by the number of different slam winners and the number of active double digit slam winners one would think in golf it's easier to win a single slam but tougher to win many of them.

Do you agree?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Of course many golfers have won majors in their 40s which is unheard of in tennis. Then again you have to beat maybe 150 individuals in golf but only 7 in tennis. On the other hand the golf majors are held in just 2 countries so maybe tennis is more competitive globally. But it wouldn't surprise me if golf is more technically difficult to master than tennis. So I don't know ;)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Tennis is tougher because RAFA chose it. Had he chosen golf it would be the other way around.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Definitely golf. Not because it’s necaassarily harder to become good at but because the variance is a lot higher and there are far more variables involved that increase the chance to screw up hard. One or two bad strokes, bad luck with the wind or the ball positioning and you can be easily out of contention already. One bad hit or even game or even set in tennis doesn’t eliminate you from the competition. Look at the slam winners in golf the last 5 years. Lots of one hit wonders. Look at the slam winners in tennis the last 5 years. Just cilic as a one hit wonder and even he made two more finals

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Definitely golf. Not because it’s necaassarily harder to become good at but because the variance is a lot higher and there are far more variables involved that increase the chance to screw up hard. One or two bad strokes, bad luck with the wind or the ball positioning and you can be easily out of contention already. One bad hit or even game or even set in tennis doesn’t eliminate you from the competition. Look at the slam winners in golf the last 5 years. Lots of one hit wonders. Look at the slam winners in tennis the last 5 years. Just cilic as a one hit wonder and even he made two more finals
This is the correct answer. High variance = higher probability that a lower ranked player may have a great weekend and get lucky

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's harder to win a Major in golf because more people play golf, as you can be fat and completely unfit and still be competitive.

It's harder to win a Slam in tennis because you can't be fat and completely unfit and still be competitive.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
I have not played golf, but I would think the speed of tennis alone makes it harder to master technically.

And welcome to the forum. Buddy.
I mean even Federer won 20 slams, how hard can it be.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You could also argue that the luck element means lesser players have a better chance of winning. In a sense, it is clearly statistically more plausible for a wider range of players to win a Major in golf, as this is obviously reflected in what actually occurs. It is harder to win many Majors in golf because you're playing a game with a lot of luck and more variance, in which you're trying to hit a small ball, extremely hard, across vast distances.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As a beginner it is harder to get good in Golf, win tournaments or even Majors. The reason for me is, that you have to be very talented in three different parts of the game (long game, short game, putting) to win a Major. There are so much good ballstrikers out there, that can't putt or the other way round...

As a Top 100 Player it may be easier to win a Major in Golf. There were far more upsets of underdogs winning majors, than in tennis. But like I said, you have to have three parts of the game on your peek for 4 days, to win.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Comparing Golf and tennis is like comparing darts and basketball. Only connection is that both are rich people's sports, with golf being even more snobbish.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
At first I wanted to say tennis is harder due to Jack Nicklaus winning his last major at 46 which suggests that top golfers have a larger number of opportunities, so eventually, law of large numbers could apply itself. But then, I realized that the amount of players they are competing with for a major is much larger than a tennis player who has to beat 7 players.

That being said, from a physical perspective, I say tennis, but the path to win it may be tougher with golf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts