Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2019 'Yemok & Biliana' Sportsmanship Award

Dedicated to the loving memory of Emil and Biliana who were two of the nicest players in Tennis Tipping and would both have undoubtedly been future winners of this award had tragedy not taken them from us.

The Sportsmanship Award is presented to the player who, throughout the year, conducted himself or herself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his or her fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness, and who promoted the game through his or her off-court activities. There are many people eligible for this award, so the TT Board decided to make an open poll (any player can be voted). Please post the player you think should win it.

Previous Winners - Yemok & Biliana Sportsmanship Award

2006 - Taz Warrior
2007 - Labamba
2008 - Zirconek
2009 - -Evita-
2010 - Snowwy
2011 - keqtqiadv
2012 - 'Managers', dinkulpus & volc0mizado
2013 - savesthedizzle
2014 - Litotes
2015 - bavaria100
2016 - Litotes
2017 - a1canada
2018 - a1canada

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
PetecoKraus... always good spirit in the game!

Honorable mention to Cazorla and Portland

·
Administrator
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mae - I've made enough fun, but she definitely should win this. Gracious in defeat and considerate of opponents after beating them.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
PetecoKraus

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
My vote is for @Waldaukönig , as a manager I have to recognize players who always try to make your job easier, who are thankful for what you're doing and who have kind words that makes your day happier. Waldaukönig is the best at it.

Also a big mention to @alejan_milos , one of most respectful winners in the game

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
PetecoKraus or Vocelov (or both) as perfect, reliable and nice managers and players.

·
28,175 Posts
How were you possibly soft enough to win it in 2010 , haha
You used to win it for sportsmanship actions. Not just saying sorry for winning.

For example in 2010, I think I won it because in the R16 AO, I played someone who could not send on the first day, maybe they had to take their kid to the hospital or something. So I arranged with the manager and that poster that our match would only be using the day 2 matches. To me that was the obvious thing to do, but a lot of people just want to win, so that is what happens.

I don't think I am any different now in 2019. At one event this year, the manager did something that they are not allowed to do that gave my doubles team an unfair advantage in a doubles final on the challenger tour. When the manager did not want to come clean right away, I tried my best to lose the doubles final (where this happened on day 1). When my team still won, I conceded the match in the thread and forced the manager to admit to his small mistake so that the correct team would win the match. It is the right thing to do, but no one really cares about that type of sportsmanship anymore.

This award has turned into who is the most chatty in TT threads award and I think that is sad because there used to be a lot more chattiness in the threads. I will admit, I am not great, I am old, busy and I managed 36 events and two rankings this year between the variety of games on MTF. (and I don't manage in June, July or August) I think all of the nominees are very worthy of this award and I am very happy to vote for Mae, but I could also vote for a1canada, BMT360, PetecoKraus, Cazorla, etc.

·
9,882 Posts
You used to win it for sportsmanship actions. Not just saying sorry for winning.

For example in 2010, I think I won it because in the R16 AO, I played someone who could not send on the first day, maybe they had to take their kid to the hospital or something. So I arranged with the manager and that poster that our match would only be using the day 2 matches. To me that was the obvious thing to do, but a lot of people just want to win, so that is what happens.

I don't think I am any different now in 2019. At one event this year, the manager did something that they are not allowed to do that gave my doubles team an unfair advantage in a doubles final on the challenger tour. When the manager did not want to come clean right away, I tried my best to lose the doubles final (where this happened on day 1). When my team still won, I conceded the match in the thread and forced the manager to admit to his small mistake so that the correct team would win the match. It is the right thing to do, but no one really cares about that type of sportsmanship anymore.

This award has turned into who is the most chatty in TT threads award and I think that is sad because there used to be a lot more chattiness in the threads. I will admit, I am not great, I am old, busy and I managed 36 events and two rankings this year between the variety of games on MTF. (and I don't manage in June, July or August) I think all of the nominees are very worthy of this award and I am very happy to vote for Mae, but I could also vote for a1canada, BMT360, PetecoKraus, Cazorla, etc.
Thanks for the history, I am one that is always interested and have read thru all past awards and events that I have hosted.

Going over all 13 past AO this year had me in awe of what Murilo has contributed to the game!

I think it has been pretty close to correct most recent years though , I have put sportsmanship as the #1 priority in all the events I have managed and played , but now I must get involved often when I see someone else trying to bend a rule , so I think gives some perception that I am combative now, it just comes down to my priority to support other managers when I am asked, which is pretty often during the season now :)

Mae is always considerate but I assess the award as something different as you suggest.

·
Administrator
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it’s definitely changed over the last 5-6 years for sure and even if someone demonstrates an act of good sportsmanship, people often forget to mention it here by the time this award comes around anyway. Not to brag or anything, but that happened to me this year. :p

Anyhow, I already voted for Mae and will stick to that as she deserves it for demonstrating constant acts of kindness throughout the season.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts